• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Pro-Rec'd then Non-Selected.

killerbandaid

Who knew Final Select Purgatory had a trap door? I had been pro-rec'd for SNA and SNFO in the OCT 09 boards and was awaiting word on a FS letter. I got a call from my OR saying that I had been de-selected and was not headed to OCS after all. He explained to me that the boards had selected too many people and that some folks had to go. Another board had convened to get rid of a certain number of the selectees. I was one of the ones who got the chop.

I'd cleared medical, security, and had gotten another conditional release from my current component so I thought everything was good to go. My unit had even hired my replacement to cover down on our full-time mission. My OR's advice was to retake the ASTB and reapply. But if they've got too many people now and aren't selecting any more packets (as was explained to me) what would be the point?

It could have been worse, I suppose. I'd put my house on the market but it hadn't sold. My admin folks are pretty sure they can find me another full-time position. But it's still a crappy feeling to be so close only to be shown the door.

I'm doing my best to keep an objective outlook on the whole situation. I understand if my packet wasn't strong enough. I only wish I'd been told so from the get-go.

So to the guys and gals that have been pro-rec'd, don't make any plans until you have FS in hand. And take that with a grain of salt. To those who do end up with orders for OCS, congrats you really do deserve it.

A

AlexSmart

This is probably the most troubling post I have seen on airwarriors, especially as someone who is applying for a Pilot/NFO slot for next month's boards. I'm really sorry to hear about your situation and I hope you are able to get into a pilot slot. I will be watching this thread very closely.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
There wouldn't be two selection stages without a reason. I'm so sorry that you were the one that got the shaft, but it is there for a reason. At least you KNOW you have what it takes and if you apply again, I'm sure the boards will look favorably on your tenacity and select you again, hopefully with a FS as well. Good luck.

wplax26

Gold Club
pilot
None
Contributor
+1 on what was said above. Sorry to see your hopes up so high and dropped. There is much to be said for re-applying even when you don't get the initial nod, so it should only be better if you were previously pro-rec'd. I'm sure that alone should bring you slightly higher up the stack. That being said anything you can do to make your package THAT much better would likely be worth it. I can not speak from experience but I'd wager that they want to see that you are continually improving yourself and specifically your package. Not sure what your ASTB scores were but mostly likely they could be higher with some studying! I had to play the game a couple times before I made it so I defiantly know how you feel! Good luck and keep charging!

NightHawk7125

Final Select SNA
Killerbandaid I am very sorry to hear that. I too am another case of this same situation. I was in the OCT/SEPT 09 boards and was prorec'd for SNA. Got the call this morning and was pretty devistated to hear the bad news. It does suck to get your hopes up and shot down, especially when it's dealing with something you have always dreamed of and 1 month away from graduation. I am not going to give up my dream of becoming a military pilot, but these hard times may slow down my process. I wish the best to everyone in this situation. DO NOT give up on your dreams!
-NightHawk7125

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Here's the deal. YG10 (read: anyone commissioned in Fiscal Year 2010, which probably would've been you) is overmanned for Aviation. BUPERS f'ed up. OCS Accessions are an easy on/off valve for them to slow down the number of people coming into the pipeline. So, rather than arbitrarily cut people in A-Pool/Primary to "fix the glitch", they are turning up the heat here with tougher standards, and slowing down OCS accessions. Out of the gate, Academy/ROTC people already have money invested in them, OCS does not.

Now the silver lining of this is that, after the middle of this year, it will be FY2011, and hopefully you can reapply and get in at that point. Tough to hear I know, but hopefully you can make it work for you.

markkyle66

Hope things work out for the both of you. I have a feeling that if you both found your way to where you are now and got accepted once, you can do it again.

Anyone know if the knee-jerk reaction from BUPERS is extending to guys/gals who have already taken the oath and contracted?

Van

The Shipmate formerly known as AT2.
Here's the deal. YG10 (read: anyone commissioned in Fiscal Year 2010, which probably would've been you) is overmanned for Aviation. BUPERS f'ed up. OCS Accessions are an easy on/off valve for them to slow down the number of people coming into the pipeline. So, rather than arbitrarily cut people in A-Pool/Primary to "fix the glitch", they are turning up the heat here with tougher standards, and slowing down OCS accessions. Out of the gate, Academy/ROTC people already have money invested in them, OCS does not.

Now the silver lining of this is that, after the middle of this year, it will be FY2011, and hopefully you can reapply and get in at that point. Tough to hear I know, but hopefully you can make it work for you.

All of that is pretty much true except what I bolded. It wasn't neccessarily BUPERS that screwed it up. The economy along with a new (White House) administration kind of changed the landscape so to speak. BUPERS projects numbers based on what they think we'll need. It isn't their fault if things change durring or after they've already put out the numbers.

Anyone know if the knee-jerk reaction from BUPERS is extending to guys/gals who have already taken the oath and contracted?

See underlined section of SynixMan's post. Granted, the rug isn't being pulled out from under everyone as quickly post commissioning, but Big Navy is kind of banking on some people not making the cut and being let go.

BackOrdered

Contributor

Why would or should they cut A-pool/Primary guys vs. OCS applicants? How would that "fix" anything other than waste alot of time? Also, BDCP and Nukes is some cases have even more money pumped into them "out the gate." :icon_smil

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Why would or should they cut A-pool/Primary guys vs. OCS applicants? How would that "fix" anything other than waste alot of time?

It sounds like they're turning multiple dials to get the numbers back where they should. OCS accessions (non-BDCP) are, as explained to me, an easy spout to turn on and off as needed. That's what they're doing here with some Pro-Recs. It sucks, and I feel for these guys. A year ago it could've been me. And I may have missed some sarcasm in your post.

AnonymousGuy

None
So for those of us selected during the March boards as NFOs...do we fall under the FY2011 selections? Are we safe from all this?

What exactly do they look for in the Final Select stage?

GreenLantern330

Does anyone have an idea of how long this cutting down on OCS selections will last? Does anyone think it'll continue for a few years or just for now?

jtmedli

pilot
So for those of us selected during the March boards as NFOs...do we fall under the FY2011 selections? Are we safe from all this?

What exactly do they look for in the Final Select stage?

March Boards fall under FY11. Who knows if the SNAs and NFOs from that board are 'safe' though.

beaverslayer

pilot
March Boards fall under FY11. Who knows if the SNAs and NFOs from that board are 'safe' though.

Do you think it's the board that matters, or the OCS date? I got pro rec'd back in June of '09, but I won't go to OCS until August, so commissioning in FY11. Who knows... guess we'll all just have to wait and see what happens.

BackOrdered

Contributor
It sounds like they're turning multiple dials to get the numbers back where they should. OCS accessions (non-BDCP) are, as explained to me, an easy spout to turn on and off as needed. That's what they're doing here with some Pro-Recs. It sucks, and I feel for these guys. A year ago it could've been me. And I may have missed some sarcasm in your post.

It just seemed ike your alternative (cut A-pool/Primary guys) was misdirected. The burden of BS belongs squarely on the OCS applicant until they put on bars, not the guys who already survived the BS. Its part of the process.