• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

PRK Stats

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daedalus

I have read the wealth of info on the PRK subject, I would like to start a stats thread.
Can you post any stats you have, Pre and Post surgery vision, cost, where you had it done, if you received a waver, as well as any new info: wavefront prk accepted, or the status of PRK wavers, rumors of closed study, and gouge about wavers.
Thanks
Chris
bigeyes_125.gif
cry_125.gif
glasses_125.gif
magnify_125.gif

paullatina

I was 20/40 pre-op in each eye and now I am 20/15 post-op. I had PRK in Jan '03 in Columbus Ohio at Lasik Vision Institute for $199 per eye. PRK waiver was accepted in July.

Sorry but I have no reliable gauge on the status of the study at this time.

wildflyin69

Grad of OCS 187 Charlie Co. 3rd Plt.
I was -4.75 pre-op and 0 refraction (20/20)post op. Had PRK in August, have to wait until November for my waiver. My OSO says that the study is still on going (as does P'cola) but can end at any time before the end of this year.

kevin

still waiting on waiver status. -5.25 preop, now 20/15. i think the study will be going on for a while longer from what i gather, but who really knows.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
I was already a Naval Aviator when the procedure was performed in Jan 03 so I'm part of the aviator study. I had 20/80 each eye prior to the PRK and on my last eye exam, read 20/12.5 each eye. No issues except for dry eyes in the morning. I was granted a waiver a month after the surgery and my eyes have been going strong ever since.

paullatina

Kab,
The standard price was $800 per eye, but like a used car I negotiated!The price was the same for Lasik or PRK. Guess all this insurance work is paying off!

kevin

2000 for me (it was 3000 but they gave me a 1000 since it was for the military). this was at the medical college of wisconsin medical center.

paullatina: i was going to say, if their standard price was only 200 per eye i wouldve found out first if they were using old compass needles instead of a laser.

grose3

pilot
Pre-Op -1.50 with 20/100 both eyes, Post Op -.5 with 20/20 both eyes. I had surgery at Lasik Vision Institute in Atlanta for $1,800 which included the teardrop inserts. My surgery was performed 12DEC02, my waiver signed and dated 31JUL03. No issues with the surgery at all. Lasik Vision Institute offered lifetime maintenance provided I FAX them my yearly eye exams, hopefully I will never need it though.

wildflyin69

Grad of OCS 187 Charlie Co. 3rd Plt.
I paid $3000 for it, but it was worth it. I had it done by my regular eye doctor so he was easily acessible if I had any questions or if I needed to come in unscheduled at anytime.

andrew

I spoke last week with CAPT. Reed who heads up the research team for Refractive eye surgery in the NAVY.(619)524-5511 and can answer almost any question you have. He said that he believed that PRK was here for good and that LASIK was years away from a study. He believed that PRK was going to be a regular waiver even when the study is completed because they have had such good results.

caeli

I'm sorry if this has been covered already, but I have a question for all those guys who needed a PRK waiver when applying to OCS:

What was the basic timeline for all the steps needed to apply? Specifically in what order did you do these steps: take the ASTB, get PRK done, get waiver, submit application, do the prt, and do the physical exam?

I know you have to wait 3 months (or 6 months for bad eyes) after the prk to be eligible for the waiver - but can you submit the application before the 3 month period is up? From what my recruiter told me, it seems like you have to be fully qualified when you submit the paperwork (have the prk done, and wait the 3 months), but I'm a little fuzzy about the specifics.

Thanks - caeli

Status
Not open for further replies.