• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

PRK Recovery

FelixTheGreat

World's greatest pilot and occasional hero
pilot
I am going in for PRK on the 6th of July which is a Thursday and I was wondering how long it took those of you who had it done to recover well enough to go on with your regular daily life. I have classes on the monday following my surgery and was wondering if trying to attend and be able to see what was going on in class wouldn't be to far fetched.

NavyLonghorn

Dmitri said:
I am going in for PRK on the 6th of July which is a Thursday and I was wondering how long it took those of you who had it done to recover well enough to go on with your regular daily life. I have classes on the monday following my surgery and was wondering if trying to attend and be able to see what was going on in class wouldn't be to far fetched.

Class wont be an issue. Reading will be. You wont be able to for a week or so. Pages will be a complete blur.

SlickAg

pilot
It depends on how well your eyes take to the surgery. I could read comfortably two days after my surgery, absolutely no problem. But then again, I also had 20/20 the day after my surgery.

You'll have a decent amount of pain and be sensitive to light for about the first 5 days after surgery. You won't have any trouble making your way around campus, but reading might be difficult. Be sure to use your eye drops as prescribed...

NeoCortex

Castle Law for all States!!!
pilot
I went back to work a week after my surgery. worked at an IT firm infront of a computer. It sucked, but it's doable.

FelixTheGreat

World's greatest pilot and occasional hero
pilot
How long was it before you guys could read comfortably again. All these math equations already look like kind of a blur but will it be a stretch to read a black board or a overhead projector 3-4 days after the surgery. Also, I know that 2 post-ops need to be documented, can they just be any 2 before I go to MEPS or do they have to be a certian time apart from each other?

OneOddGuy

Mrs. Crossdressing USA 2003 and 2005
I would ask a recruiter that last question; but I know mine said I needed two of the tests where they measure your diopter amount. Now this can be either manual (1 or 2....1 or 2...) or they just have look at a barn or an airplane in this machine (automatic). I think each test needs to be one month apart.

But like I said check with someone official.

Scotty-O

Due to the government,I feel over-stimulated.
You could do two separate surgeries, one eye each time. That's how I did it, a month apart, and I was back at work the next day each time. (luckily I lived close to my doc and the surgery center) The lased eye will be blurry, but the good eye can compensate for fine details like reading and stuff for that week or two that the lased eye recovers.

AV8BQAR

Mech
I was just fine at 4 days. Pain was gone and sensitivity was minimal. I was 20/15 as well.

I think it really depends on your body and how well you treat yourself after surgery. I cannot take pain meds, so I literally layed on my back for 2 days with constant ice. Since I did NOTHING my eyes had a good jump start on healing. If you tend to heal quickly, then your PRK should follow suit.

AppleCello

Today marks the 1 week point for me after surgery, and my vision is still not perfect. I can drive and get about, but my right eye is still somewhat blurry, especially up close. This makes reading the computer screen a little tough, but its ok.

I didnt experience any pain at any point after the surgery. The doctor thinks that the new contacts he used on me made the difference. I think they're called Oasis... maybe see if your doctor uses them yet.

I measured 20/200 before, 20/60 the day after, and 20/30 just 3 days after. Im not sure where my vision is now, but it is definitely better, but I doubt 20/20 just yet. As the epithelium heals, it makes things hazy/blurry but once thats mostly back in place, your vision will be good and only change in minor increments.

for me, its like each day is mostly stable (probably just perception) and the big changes happen overnight while sleeping. Either way, im really pelase with how things have gone so far and fully expect to have great vision once entirely healed. I have another checkup tomorrow and am expecting the doc to remove the contacts at that point. PM me if you have any other specific questions, and check out the blog i've been keeping about the experience. http://web.mac.com/applecello

Good luck.