• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USN PRK pre-op limits for civilians

BuzzRickson

I’m looking for a little clarification on the NAMI waiver guide and it’s requirements regarding PRK surgery.

The guide (attached a screenshot) lists the pre-op refractive limits for SNA’s under “applicants”, but then also lists separate limits under “Class I, II, III, and IV” for both PRK and LASIK. For PRK it states “no limit (must be performed at a DOD refractive surgery center)”. This is a little confusing to me as it seems to imply that PRK is disqualifying unless done by specifically by the military. Or is the guide merely stating that unless the surgery is done by the military, the applicant will be required to meet the normal refractive limits? I’m a civilian applicant but need PRK (not eligible for LASIK) to qualify.

UInavy

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I’m looking for a little clarification on the NAMI waiver guide and it’s requirements regarding PRK surgery.

The guide (attached a screenshot) lists the pre-op refractive limits for SNA’s under “applicants”, but then also lists separate limits under “Class I, II, III, and IV” for both PRK and LASIK. For PRK it states “no limit (must be performed at a DOD refractive surgery center)”. This is a little confusing to me as it seems to imply that PRK is disqualifying unless done by specifically by the military. Or is the guide merely stating that unless the surgery is done by the military, the applicant will be required to meet the normal refractive limits? I’m a civilian applicant but need PRK (not eligible for LASIK) to qualify.

View attachment 33878
Just use the left column and listed limits as an applicant. The right column is for already ‘designated’ military aviators.

exNavyOffRec

View attachment 33878
Since you are a civilian when it comes to medical issues you first need to consult the Navy Medical Manual as that determines if you can even enter the USN, once you are past that hurdle then the NAMI guide comes into play. In this case they actually line up when it comes to pre operation diopter limits, before it didn't and applicants that were outside the limits didn't get to the NAMI guide.

The USN can waive the Medical Manual limits and go with NAMI limits if they want, but they rarely ever do as there is always an applicant that is just around the corner that doesn't need a waiver from entry to NAMI.

FloridaDad

So I just reviewed this info and looked at my last eye exam pre-LASIK and I'm fine (also gathering all the proper paperwork needed for MEPS and such)... but my gosh I wish my recruiter had given me this exact info before I got the surgery because I would hate to find out that the surgery was for nothing. Thankfully I'm good. :)

exNavyOffRec

So I just reviewed this info and looked at my last eye exam pre-LASIK and I'm fine (also gathering all the proper paperwork needed for MEPS and such)... but my gosh I wish my recruiter had given me this exact info before I got the surgery because I would hate to find out that the surgery was for nothing. Thankfully I'm good. :)
unfortunately some do not.