• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

PRK in the fleet

goplay234

Hummer NFO
None
Just wondering how easy it was to get PRK done while you're in a fleet squadron. I am heading out in about three weeks and want to know if it's an easy thing to grab after you put some time in the squadron. Let me know. Thanks.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I asked this question during my sea tower, just out of curiosity. I didn't (don't) even know if my vision made me eligible, but figured I'd ask. It seemed pretty straght forward. Get a consult from an eye doc, and then get on the list. For us, the problem was two fold: 1) getting in to an eye doc in Pearl or Trippler (not too big a deal), and 2) getting scheduled for the actual procedure. There apparently was a big wait list and at the time, you had to go to San Diego to get it done (on your dime, of course). I don't remember what the down time was, if any.

Cordespc

None
Contributor
I submitted a request to NMC Portsmouth via my chain, and had the surgery 5months later. I was an E6 maintainer at the time, and my AOIC hooked me up by recommending me for pri-2. Being in a flight status, you might be able to get pri-1, and have the surgery right away.

-Paul

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It's usually the kind of thing you do post deployment and you'll just have to coordinate that stuff w/ your front office when you show up. I wouldn't bring it up while you're checking in w/ your CO though. Take a little time to prove yourself before asking to basically be off the flight schedule for a couple months.

Brett

goplay234

Hummer NFO
None
I figured I would have to wait a bit. My squadron will just be getting off of deployment so there will be some free time. I figured that if we weren't going to be flying that much anyway, I could sneak it in...I can wait. It's not a huge deal.