• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

PRK & BDCP Decision

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
Bummer, I am already on the board for November BDCP SNA. I am almost positive I am going to need PRK. My recruiter told me to apply first and then let MEPS tell me I needed the surgery but by the sound of things that was not my best bet... I can already see what is going to happen. He is going to tell me to switch to a ground contract, get the surgery "The Navy MIGHT even pay for it " and then apply to have my contract switched to Air before I go to OCS.... That was the plan my Marine recruiter was set on and one of the reasons I am talking to the Navy now...

It doesn't make any sence that they wouldn’t wait for my final select. I still have a year and a half of school left. By waiting for my final select it just saves the Navy money they would have paid me during the BDCP. I can see their side though; it doesn’t make any sence that I applied for a position that I am not qualified for.

If I do have to turn down the pro-rec get the surgery and reapply is that going to look horrible on my next application?

FWIT my kid went to 10 week Marine OCS thru PLC with an SNFO contract. Had PRK after OCS and college graduation and switched to SNA after his waver was approved. Other than the time delay it didn't seem to be much of a big deal in his case. He just had to get it all done before he commissioned. YMMV

Good luck!!!

sundevil_av8r

pilot
my 2 cents:

I called the recruiter asking about PRK and he told me to apply for the SCL waiver, back when they had it. I was pro rec'd, then denied the waiver when they rescinded it. I didn't apply for SNFO but was offered the slot since i was already selected for SNA. They pitched the same offer as everyone else. I politely let the recruiter know that I was only interested in SNA, told him I would take my chances paying for it myself even if I had to reapply. Got the surgery in January, three months later I called the recruiter, dropped off my surgery paperwork, and a week later I was final select.

if you want pilot, and have the scores or stats to back it up, go for it. as long as you are professional and don't burn any bridges you should be able to get it. i have some friends that were afraid of the same thing so i called my recruiter and asked him what he thought. these were his words:

"if you have a good chance of getting selected for pilot, we are willing to put in the work and help you get what you want. if we don't feel that you will be competitive or have no chance at all, we aren't going to... The only way we would be offended is if someone demands pilot but can't even spell his name on the ASTB."

be professional and respectful, and remember that it is your career. of the hundreds of people in primary, there was only a handful of retreads. in my opinion, you have a better chance of getting the surgery now and getting selected than going the NFO route.

grant_davis

my 2 cents:

I called the recruiter asking about PRK and he told me to apply for the SCL waiver, back when they had it. I was pro rec'd, then denied the waiver when they rescinded it. I didn't apply for SNFO but was offered the slot since i was already selected for SNA. They pitched the same offer as everyone else. I politely let the recruiter know that I was only interested in SNA, told him I would take my chances paying for it myself even if I had to reapply. Got the surgery in January, three months later I called the recruiter, dropped off my surgery paperwork, and a week later I was final select.

if you want pilot, and have the scores or stats to back it up, go for it. as long as you are professional and don't burn any bridges you should be able to get it. i have some friends that were afraid of the same thing so i called my recruiter and asked him what he thought. these were his words:

"if you have a good chance of getting selected for pilot, we are willing to put in the work and help you get what you want. if we don't feel that you will be competitive or have no chance at all, we aren't going to... The only way we would be offended is if someone demands pilot but can't even spell his name on the ASTB."

be professional and respectful, and remember that it is your career. of the hundreds of people in primary, there was only a handful of retreads. in my opinion, you have a better chance of getting the surgery now and getting selected than going the NFO route.

Thanks for the advise.. That is pretty much what I am going to do. If I get selected during the November board ill go to MEPS and the day I get back ill pay for the surgery. Once I get all of the paper work done Ill submit for final select and hope for the best. The good news is I still have a good bit of time and one chance left on the ASTB. Thanks for all of the help and Ill let yall know how everything turns out.

nugget61

pilot
Thanks for the advise.. That is pretty much what I am going to do. If I get selected during the November board ill go to MEPS and the day I get back ill pay for the surgery. Once I get all of the paper work done Ill submit for final select and hope for the best. The good news is I still have a good bit of time and one chance left on the ASTB. Thanks for all of the help and Ill let yall know how everything turns out.

I think that we're in the same boat, but I'm about a month ahead of you. Just keep in mind that it would seem your pro-rec means nothing if you get the prk afterwards. My OR said you can't just wait to submit the final select paperwork that long. I'll let you know how it goes for me as I'm hoping to get my eyes cut in about 3 weeks.

grant_davis

I think that we're in the same boat, but I'm about a month ahead of you. Just keep in mind that it would seem your pro-rec means nothing if you get the prk afterwards. My OR said you can't just wait to submit the final select paperwork that long. I'll let you know how it goes for me as I'm hoping to get my eyes cut in about 3 weeks.

That would be amazing.. I am pretty concerned about the whole thing. I don't want the Navy to look down on me for applying for a position that I am not eligible for but I am just doing what my OR suggest...

sundevil_av8r

pilot
That would be amazing.. I am pretty concerned about the whole thing. I don't want the Navy to look down on me for applying for a position that I am not eligible for but I am just doing what my OR suggest...

don't look at it this way. not every person in naval is the perfect specimen. tons of people have stuff wrong that they have waivers before. if you want it... apply. if they tell you you're broken... fix it.

nugget61

pilot
DAMMIT!!

I think winged aviators/NFOs are eligible to get the frickin' laser on the Navy's dime.

Ok, talked to my OR again and this week he says that the Navy will do it and pay for it, but not at a civilian doc's place.
Again, however, I'd get it from a flight doc or someone in the know - my OR has less than perfect info.

nugget61

pilot
Bit of a threadjack; NAMI says you can get a waiver for PRK after 3 months if you're under -6 diopters, but my OR says that in the recruiter's handbook it says that applicants must wait 6 months after any surgery before obtaining a waiver/retest. Has anyone out there (as an applicant) gotten a waiver at the 3 month mark and then submitted their app?

grant_davis

Had the convo with my OR again today. He is almost positive that they will hold my rec for me because I am on the BDCP. He said that as soon as I am recommended he will send me to MEPS and if I fail ill get the surgery ASAP and then apply for all of the paper work..

Three months sounds a lot better than 6 let me know if you find anything out...

sundevil_av8r

pilot
Bit of a threadjack; NAMI says you can get a waiver for PRK after 3 months if you're under -6 diopters, but my OR says that in the recruiter's handbook it says that applicants must wait 6 months after any surgery before obtaining a waiver/retest. Has anyone out there (as an applicant) gotten a waiver at the 3 month mark and then submitted their app?

i got my waiver at 3 months and was at OCS 3 months and 3 wks from the day i had surgery. at exactly three months i dropped off all of my paperwork from my surgery, my recruiter overnighted it in, and a few days later it was approved. two weeks later i was on the road to OCS.

grant_davis

i got my waiver at 3 months and was at OCS 3 months and 3 wks from the day i had surgery. at exactly three months i dropped off all of my paperwork from my surgery, my recruiter overnighted it in, and a few days later it was approved. two weeks later i was on the road to OCS.

Wow that is great to hear! :icon_mi_1:icon_mi_1 Thanks for the info

nugget81

pilot

I also did the three month thing....so it can be done.

nugget61

pilot
Thanks to both of you guys - I'll tell my OR that so he can look up the right paperwork or whatnot.

In regards to sundevil

Did you get pro-rec, prk, waiver, final selected (in that order)? How long ago was this?

Junkball

"I believe in ammunition"
pilot
My recruiter was quoting the 6-month wait as well (that's 6 months after you're released from the doctor's care). According to several posts here, 3 months would have been my wait period instead because my correction is like -3.00 diopters in each eye. I'm waiting on some paperwork BS for me to sign the BDCP SNFO contract but this review is really making me want to get the surgery done and reapply.