• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

PRK and service class

SaucyGoon1776

hello everyone, I'm a 19-year-old sophomore in college. I will be graduating a year early so May 2022. Just completed OCS juniors for Marine Corps. I know that my vision is 20/50 in one eye and 20/30 in the other. I also have an astigmatism in both eyes. Can I even qualify for PRK/LASIK and if so would I still be able to receive a class 1 service physical, or in other wors could I still fly jets or Vipers having the surgery done assuming it goes well?

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
What do you mean wrong service? The Bell AH-1Z is also known as the Viper. Formerly known as the super cobra.

Sorry. Most people I know think of the Viper as the F-16. Air Force pilots have been calling it that for 25+ years.

Guess the Marines couldn’t think of anything original.

Waveoff

Per Diem Mafia
None
My roommate back in ROTC days had LASIK and now he's a Marine helo pilot. I had LASIK and also got a pilot slot not problem (double anchors due to anthro...but thats another story). PRK vs LASIK is a personal decision at the time, since both are allowed for jets and every other platform to my knowledge.

We both did it on our own dime our junior year of college though. Not likely you'll commission, have the DOD pay for surgery, and then start flight school. For us, you had to have good eyes before you applied for a flight spot. But I'd ask a Doc or your local POC if able.

exNavyOffRec

hello everyone, I'm a 19-year-old sophomore in college. I will be graduating a year early so May 2022. Just completed OCS juniors for Marine Corps. I know that my vision is 20/50 in one eye and 20/30 in the other. I also have an astigmatism in both eyes. Can I even qualify for PRK/LASIK and if so would I still be able to receive a class 1 service physical, or in other wors could I still fly jets or Vipers having the surgery done assuming it goes well?
you need to see an eye doc that can evaluate you for corrective surgery, only the doc will know for sure as the doc will have the exact numbers to see if you can get it. I do know that everyone I can tell you that most of the people I know who were told they couldn't get surgery was for an astigmatism, yours might not be that bad, but until you go to the doc you won't know. The surgery isn't cheap, so save up.

Waveoff

Per Diem Mafia
None
When I went through I had to bring a signed letter from my optometrist to my ROTC Skipper saying that I had a recommendation for the surgery. Afterwards I had numerous post op appointments to attend, and then I had to get a medical waiver for my flight physical. I did have some astigmatism in one eye, but that was always addressed with contacts/glasses.