• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Private pilot's lisence. Does it help?

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
It's not a question of going low and slow for the fun of it. Getting a few hours just to get some "experience" before primary is ludicrous. Not only will you forget what you learned, the learning experiences are not even close to being comparable. The civilian instructors arent going to yell at you (well, outside of IFS), because they want your MONEY!!! The longer it takes you to learn something....the more they make!

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Maybe some of us just like going slow. 3000' AGL, 85KIAS, vis 5SM enjoying the scenary. What is the hurry? We get there when we get there. It is all in a days work. :D

5SM is good? You must be from the midwest :)

+1 to Nozeman's comment. Prior experience is all good and well, but the difference between being a novice and a 0 hour (or 25 hour I guess) newbie is negligible when you are stepping up to becoming a professional. Speaking from prior civilian experience here, you can count on doing a ton of stuff you have never even thought about doing in the civvie world in your military training, while much of the stuff they really harked on in civilian school will be useless or irrelevant. And if you don't think I botch radio calls from the 180 like all the other studs out there because I had a civilian commercial ticket, or that my head wasn't on fire for the first couple of FAMS, you would be wrong on both counts. :)

D_Rob

Lead LTJG
5SM is good? ... And if you don't think I botch radio calls from the 180 like all the other studs out there because I had a civilian commercial ticket, or that my head wasn't on fire for the first couple of FAMS, you would be wrong on both counts. :)

I had nightmares of LT saying, "Correction, Left 180."

You really feel like an idiot when you don't know your left from your right...

staff03

Thanks for the advice. I just got back from getting my class 3 medical so I can start lessons and was just wondering if they use that eye machine from the 70's that tests your near and far vision during flight physicals at OCS and API, or do they use a chart?

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor

I just learned what left and right are.

I really only gooned up 5 or 6 radio calls in all of primary..... but boy were they deusies!

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot

Haha......good to know I'm not the only one then. Maybe it's an "engineer" thing :)

Or if the L vs R call isn't using enough brain power already, and you are flying w/ Kmac, the "you're at the f%^*^% right 135, not the 180 moron" is always good for the ego :D

D_Rob

Lead LTJG
Or if the L vs R call isn't using enough brain power already, and you are flying w/ Kmac, the "you're at the f%^*^% right 135, not the 180 moron" is always good for the ego :D

I'll have to bring my protractor if I ever fly with KMac then. Maybe some thick rimmed glasses and my Magic Cards...

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
So is this a Corpus thing or a carrier thing to call the 135? I've never heard it used. I always used "approaching the 90" because by the time I said it, I was at the 90.

MasterBates

I can't say its a carrier thing, but we say it here a lot in Krock. I said it occasionally in Corpus, but come to think of it, I was flying with hookers then.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
So is this a Corpus thing or a carrier thing to call the 135? I've never heard it used. I always used "approaching the 90" because by the time I said it, I was at the 90.

I've heard it been used both at the boat and FCLP's, both at the 135 or at the 45. Just more of specific place for paddles or tower to look. That would be in CQ only, usually we didn't say much unless Case III.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
180 vs 135 is NOT that hard to tell. Also Abeam =/= 180 most of the time.

Good point. I got reamed by a certain "popular" IP on a form brief for dorking that one up after not looking it up after months of being out of contacts.

Abeam = (touchdown) off your wing.

180 = abeam your rollout point on final, NOT abeam the touchdown point.

I never missed that question again after my butthole tightened back up.

Dingobat

Guess she don't like the Cornbread either...
I can't say its a carrier thing, but we say it here a lot in Krock. I said it occasionally in Corpus, but come to think of it, I was flying with hookers then.
I thought once you earned your choker whites you didn't have to pay anymore?