• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Private pilot's lisence. Does it help?

dan89

Private pilot's license, does it help?

Does anyone know if having a private pilot's license will help improve my chances of recieving a pilot slot in NROTC?

-Dan

MattWSU

pilot
Contributor
A pilot's license has no bearing on your pilot selection. In AFROTC they give you a few 'selection points' for flight hours.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
You could include it in your personal statement which is basically just a paragraph or so where you describe why aviation is a good fit for you. I have no idea how much this section matters anyways, but it will certainly not tip the scales in your favor if you don't have good grades, ASTB, PRT, and aptitude scores. If you want to start flying now, a PPL is the way to go, but it probably won't be much of an advantage professionally speaking.

IrishEagle85

What the others said above. The best way to get selected for Pilot is to rock your grades hard, get good aptitude grades, do well on the ASTB, and rock your fitness scores. Pretty much, be a stud, and you're practically gauranteed your first choice of communities.

I still don't know how I got selected :)

That being said, I went up in a Cessna 172 for the first time yesterday for shits and giggles, and I had a blast. It's expensive, especially with the recent cost of fuel, although you might be able to cut a deal of some sort if you tell them what you're aiming for in the Navy.

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
Does anyone know if having a private pilot's lisence will help improve my chances of recieving a pilot slot in NROTC?
Doubt it. If it were the case, then staying awake all night on a boat, being PADI certified, or actually having seen the Discovery Channel's Carrier At Sea documentary would improve your chance also.

Ektar

Brewing Pilot
pilot
If you are only considering getting your PPL because you think it will improve your chances of getting selected for SNA, don't waste your money! Now, if you want to get your license because you want to learn to fly or want to give flying a try before you select your career choice, then by all means go for it.

However, you should go ask your class officer how the selection system works and what the formula is for rating you. You will find that having a good GPA is going to have the largest impact on your selection. So, in short, if you are worried about getting a pilot slot, study your ass off and get the best grades you can. THAT will have the biggest impact on your chances of becoming a SNA.

MattWSU

pilot
Contributor
Heh... at least give me something original. That one could be used on any school. Though we probably shouldn't waste any more bandwidth with this.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
Besides, when you get winged, you'll pretty much be a test and a checkride away from a bunch of ratings.