• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

private pilot license

submarinerssbn

does having a ppl(private pilot license) help any in api or further on in the training??? i will be finished with my classes in april and awaiting my degree certificate i will recieve in june. I will submit my ocs package the second i get my certificate but from the time i take my last class through submitting my package and up to the point when i recieve word wether i got accepted or not, i was going to get my ppl. Would i be wasting 4 or 5 thousand dollars, or would the training and experience help during API and further down the road?

One good thing about getting it i know would be if i did'nt get picked up the first time, i would have that when submitting the next one.

aside from doing that in all you aviators opinion, would getting it help out or make things a little a little more familiar throughout the training.

i did a search to see if anyone had asked that question but did'nt find any thread like the question i had, maybe someone asked it in a a different way, so sorry if you guys have been asked this before, don't want to ask retorical questions. thanks

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
All it really does is get you past IFS (big block-up right now), makes API classes a LITTLE easier to understand (you've seen it before, but then again it isn't hard in the first place), and gives you a small TASTE of what flying will be like. Did it HELP me? Not really. I am maybe more comfortable on the radios than other students and my landings are better than folks who are at the same stage as me, but other than that, not really. It cost me 7k at the end of the day (I did it for a few reasons OTHER than just to have it for Navy flight training), and it didn't give me much of an advantage, so if you're considering it mainly to help in flight school? Don't bother. If you want some experience/not have to wait for IFS/etc then go for it.

P.S. I had my PPL with about 80 hours prior to flight school.

ac2NASTY

AC -> OC -> O3E
pilot
I too am curious if the pros outweigh the cons concerning a private pilots license. I'm applying for the STA-21, pilot option this upcoming cycle and had my first flight towards my ppl two days ago. Not sure how much my advice will help but here it is.

The pilots on my base who are helping me with my STA-21 package thought it would be a good idea. They said a few SNA's in their API class were dead-set on becoming pilots but have never flown prior to their class. After a few times up they realized flying wasn't for them and decided to DOR (drop on request). So not only did they waste their time and possible commission but took a slot for SNA that somebody else could have used. So if you earn your ppl not only will it reaffirm your desire to become an aviator but like you mentioned it will look good on your package. I also believe the knowledge and skills learned during your training towards your ppl definitely wouldn't hurt. If you have the time and extra money (MGI Bill won't pay for it) to work towards it I suggest doing so. Better safe than sorry.

Again this is only my opinion. I'm in the same position as you. I wish you the best of luck with whatever you decide to do. And by the way, my first flight was AWESOME!! Ready for the next one.

whitesoxnation

pilot
Contributor
All it really does is get you past IFS (big block-up right now), makes API classes a LITTLE easier to understand (you've seen it before, but then again it isn't hard in the first place), and gives you a small TASTE of what flying will be like. Did it HELP me? Not really. I am maybe more comfortable on the radios than other students and my landings are better than folks who are at the same stage as me, but other than that, not really. It cost me 7k at the end of the day (I did it for a few reasons OTHER than just to have it for Navy flight training), and it didn't give me much of an advantage, so if you're considering it mainly to help in flight school? Don't bother. If you want some experience/not have to wait for IFS/etc then go for it.

P.S. I had my PPL with about 80 hours prior to flight school.

How differnet is the T-34 from a civilian trainer?

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
They said a few SNA's in their API class were dead-set on becoming pilots but have never flown prior to their class. After a few times up they realized flying wasn't for them and decided to DOR (drop on request).
Well, that is kinda why they have IFS - give people a taste. The thing is primary flying is really not a whole lot like IFS at all, but its better than nothing.

Have I seen CFIs suck and quit? Yes. Have I seen a guy who never flew or read a damn thing about flying in his life rock the program, get a 150 NSS or some shit like that and get the all mighty jet slot. Yes.

FWIW - most people will have no flight experience besides IFS under their belt.

Raptor2216

Well, where can I start? Its for a turbine engine for starters which has a sh!t ton more power than your average cessna. Compared to many civilian trainers, it has a retractable gear and rudder trim...neither of which is usually found on your average cessna. Your fly a bit faster and in some cases, 100% faster than your average civilian trainer. Unlike most civilian trainers, you have both a UHF and a VHF radio. The biggest difference perhaps is the relief tube...I def don't remember one of those from the cessna's and pipers. Does this help?

whitesoxnation

pilot
Contributor
Well, where can I start? Its for a turbine engine for starters which has a sh!t ton more power than your average cessna. Compared to many civilian trainers, it has a retractable gear and rudder trim...neither of which is usually found on your average cessna. Your fly a bit faster and in some cases, 100% faster than your average civilian trainer. Unlike most civilian trainers, you have both a UHF and a VHF radio. The biggest difference perhaps is the relief tube...I def don't remember one of those from the cessna's and pipers. Does this help?

I was wondering more along the lines of aerodynamic characteristics

Ektar

Brewing Pilot
pilot
I second what Boogey Spotter said. I have a PPL with about 140 hours. It helped me because it got me past the IFS roadblock and made some of the things in API a little easier because I had seen it before. However, in Primary it hasn't been that much help. The flying is Primary is very different from any civilian flying I have ever done. In some ways, it hurt me because I had to break some 'bad' habits to conform to the Navy-way of doing things. I can only think of two areas that it has helped me. The first is on the radios because I have used them before and talked on them before. Second, it has been a mental boost in some ways because I know I can fly a plane and I enjoy it. That gave me encouragement to keep pushing myself and not give up when the going got tough, because Primary does get tough at times.

That being said, from personal observation and being told by IPs, the only rating that might help you is an instrument rating. Guys who come through with an Instrument rating can get accelerated or at least have a little easier time during RIs because they have done most that stuff before. Again for them its learning the Navy way of doing things.

All in all, if your only reason for getting a PPL is because you think it might make you sh!t hot in Primary and guarantee you a jet slot then don't waste your money. If you want the license because you want to fly, want to be able to fly small planes, and get early exposure to aviation then it might be a good idea. Of course, its all up to you and what you want to do. I wouldn't change anything I've done so far. I love having a PPL and I'm glad I got it.

Now for a student's take on the T-34C... It's a fun plane to fly! It has a 550shp turbine bolted onto the front of a plane that was orginally designed with about a 300hp or less piston engine in earlier models. It definitely performs. Its very stable and a great platform to learn in. Though, I think that airplane is incredibly uncomfortable. I can only stand to be in it for a little over 2 hours. Now, take the comments about the comfort with a grain of salt, I'm 6'4" tall so it's a bit tight for me.

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
I can only stand to be in it for a little over 2 hours. Now, take the comments about the comfort with a grain of salt, I'm 6'4" tall so it's a bit tight for me.

It's a uncomfortable bitch for most of us.

whitesoxnation

pilot
Contributor
Be more specific. The 34 is a low-wing high performance A/C and its aerodynamic characteristics are such. It flies like any other single engine prop with left turning tendencies. What are you exactly trying to find out here?

Alright that answers it for me. thanks

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor

As was stated above, the T-34 is powered by a gas-turbine engine, and not an internal combustion engine like most light aircraft. It is high performance and complex, and the knowledge of systems and EPs is FAR more extensive than that of a Cessna. It has full 3 axis trim and a stick instead of a yoke. These are all minor (and some major) differences that all add up to a MUCH different experience. The airplane is faster and thus flying it becomes a faster process that requires more focus and ability.

Now, beyond the plane is the flight regimes you fly as a military aviator. You don't tool around the skies nice and slow. The civilian traffic pattern is a HUGE rectangle which takes a 5 or more minutes to circle and land, whereas the break and landing pattern that you'll be flying in flight school is close to 3 times as fast and MUCH more happens in a short period of time.

These are all things, which added together, create an entirely different learning environment than civilian training.

In the civilian world, I paid someone to teach me. If I didn't know it, no biggie. He got paid to sit there and teach it to me. I learned stuff in the cockpit for the first time wasting money and time in the cockpit. In flight school, you are expected to KNOW EVERYTHING cold and simply show up to the flight to learn the kinesthetic monkey-sense of moving the stick and PCL (power control lever) to make the plane do what you want it to do (because you know your shit cold.

Flying in the civvy world was always fun and when it got stressed, I took a day or two off and came back strong with a positive attitude. In flight school, you are expected to BE PREPARED for every flight/sim/CPT and PERFORM. In addition to knowing your stuff you need to be able to perform in the cockpit as well. If you suck, you suffer for it. This is your JOB. Just like any other job, you have to do well or suffer the consequences.

Sometimes flight school is tough (I can't wait for RIs). I get double-pumped, maybe one of them was a rough flight or a brief didn't go well, or I am tired as fvck from studying until 2am. But the odd time when I do well and am paired with a cool IP and he offers to show me some aerobatics or something cool in the airplane, I remember why I am here as I float up from or crunch down in my seat and look at the earth below (or above) me. I KNOW I want to be here. I just got paid to FLY!

It isn't for everyone. If you want to get some experience flying to see if it is for you, then go get a couple hours, but if there is no other reason, then don't go get your private. A couple hours ought to let you know if this is truly your heart's desire.

whitesoxnation

pilot
Contributor
As was stated above, the T-34 is powered by a gas-turbine engine, and not an internal combustion engine like most light aircraft. It is high performance and complex, and the knowledge of systems and EPs is FAR more extensive than that of a Cessna. It has full 3 axis trim and a stick instead of a yoke. These are all minor (and some major) differences that all add up to a MUCH different experience. The airplane is faster and thus flying it becomes a faster process that requires more focus and ability.

Now, beyond the plane is the flight regimes you fly as a military aviator. You don't tool around the skies nice and slow. The civilian traffic pattern is a HUGE rectangle which takes a 5 or more minutes to circle and land, whereas the break and landing pattern that you'll be flying in flight school is close to 3 times as fast and MUCH more happens in a short period of time.

These are all things, which added together, create an entirely different learning environment than civilian training.

In the civilian world, I paid someone to teach me. If I didn't know it, no biggie. He got paid to sit there and teach it to me. I learned stuff in the cockpit for the first time wasting money and time in the cockpit. In flight school, you are expected to KNOW EVERYTHING cold and simply show up to the flight to learn the kinesthetic monkey-sense of moving the stick and PCL (power control lever) to make the plane do what you want it to do (because you know your shit cold.

Flying in the civvy world was always fun and when it got stressed, I took a day or two off and came back strong with a positive attitude. In flight school, you are expected to BE PREPARED for every flight/sim/CPT and PERFORM. In addition to knowing your stuff you need to be able to perform in the cockpit as well. If you suck, you suffer for it. This is your JOB. Just like any other job, you have to do well or suffer the consequences.

Sometimes flight school is tough (I can't wait for RIs). I get double-pumped, maybe one of them was a rough flight or a brief didn't go well, or I am tired as fvck from studying until 2am. But the odd time when I do well and am paired with a cool IP and he offers to show me some aerobatics or something cool in the airplane, I remember why I am here as I float up from or crunch down in my seat and look at the earth below (or above) me. I KNOW I want to be here. I just got paid to FLY!

It isn't for everyone. If you want to get some experience flying to see if it is for you, then go get a couple hours, but if there is no other reason, then don't go get your private. A couple hours ought to let you know if this is truly your heart's desire.

Thanks joboy. I'm working on my CFI and am just trying to develope good habits right now and get any advantages that I can.

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
does having a ppl(private pilot license) help any in api or further on in the training??? i will be finished with my classes in april and awaiting my degree certificate i will recieve in june. I will submit my ocs package the second i get my certificate but from the time i take my last class through submitting my package and up to the point when i recieve word wether i got accepted or not, i was going to get my ppl. Would i be wasting 4 or 5 thousand dollars, or would the training and experience help during API and further down the road?

One good thing about getting it i know would be if i did'nt get picked up the first time, i would have that when submitting the next one.

aside from doing that in all you aviators opinion, would getting it help out or make things a little a little more familiar throughout the training.

i did a search to see if anyone had asked that question but did'nt find any thread like the question i had, maybe someone asked it in a a different way, so sorry if you guys have been asked this before, don't want to ask retorical questions. thanks

Having a PPL would look good on your application as well. So, you could work on it while awaiting word, then if you don't get accepted, finish your PPL and resubmit your package.