• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Private Pilot Licence

Status
Not open for further replies.

cherokeexj94

im thinking about getting private pilot licence, before i shell out a few grand on this process anyone know how much haveing it will help in obtaining a NFO or Pilot slot?

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Not to be a jerk, but do a search and you'll find plenty of gouge. This one's been beaten to death.

Pap

Naval Aviator
pilot
Try "prior flight time", "prior flight experience" or something like that. That question has been covered many times before.

ben

not missing sand
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Also try "ppl" - it gets abbreviated a lot. Long story short, some say it helps and others say it doesn't. You'll have to sort through the searches to form your own opinion.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
"licence" is also spelled "license." That might help too. :)

As for my personal haven't-been-to-Primary-yet experience, I've heard more people say it helps than say it hurts. The consensus seems to be that if you're willing to throw out old habits and learn the Navy way, the PPL will give you a little more situational awareness than your non-flying peers for the first few flights.

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
btw... first few flights = non graded events if you want to get ahead go spend a ton of money and get an instrument rating, otherwise, PPL is not really going to put you that far ahead of your peers...

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
I agree. Instrument time would have helped me a lot. It was painfull learning it in Primary for the first time, but like everything else, it takes some getting used to...

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I got my PPL after IFS because I just love to fly. Tell you what, you can't just go take a T-34 for a joyride like you can a Cessna or Piper or whatever. Granted, flying the T-34 is enormously more fun, but I can do whatever I want with my PPL.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Most likely not. I had 15 hours before IFS, but it wasn't part of the Part 141 curriculum that my school used, to I had to build off the IFS hours.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
NROTC. Commissioned from the College of the Holy Cross NROTC, graduated from Worcester Polytechnic Institute.

Status
Not open for further replies.