• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Private Elementary Schools in Pensacola

Spot

11.5 years and counting boat free
I was wondering what the opinions were on the different private elementary schools in Pensacola since we will be moving there for NFO training in May of next year. My daughter is currently in a private school that is pretty advanced and my wife and I are worried that she may become bored if she is not challenged enough or the class uses a lot of worksheets vs. hands on learning. We have done a bit of research on the internet and have visited 2 schools already.

Any recommendations from personal experience on schools to look into further or to steer clear of?

Tyler

!
pilot
Contributor
I've no experience with this school, but I remember always riding by Pensacola Beach Elementary when I'd go on vacation as a young'n and thinking to myself, what kind of lucky bastards get to go to school here?! It is literally on the beach.

...but now that I think about it, that might have been quite the distraction.:D

SemperGumbi

Just a B guy.
pilot
Oriel Beach in Gulf Breeze is usually one of the higher rated schools in the area, but it isn't private. Might be worth checking out.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
If you're not opposed to Catholic schools, St Paul (about 10 minutes from Cordova Mall) seemed pretty good. My wife used to teach there. She on the boards (ViolinPrincess). If you want to know a little more about the school, shoot her a PM.

Hozer

Jobu needs a refill!
None
Contributor
My kids are in Cath school in Jax. I'm starting a tour here in VT's and am probably sticking them in Helen Caro elementary out the back gate in Gulf Shores (southwest Pensacola on MLS). It's got great reviews, several officers wives teach there, and I've heard very positive stuff about the curriculum and amenities. In fact, the one negative I have heard is perhaps there are too many over-zealous parents involved. That's a good problem to have though.
Parochial schools are thin out here.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Not to threadjack - well, kinda - but is the school system in P'cola really as bad as it seems? I grew up down the road in Niceville, and every time we went to any of the P'cola-area schools for away games, they seemed like sets for one of those "tough-love teacher challenges ghetto students to succeed and everyone learns" movies.

We're toying with the idea of staying here post-Navy, but schools for the whelps is a matter of concern.

*sigh* I remember when I didn't have to give a shit about such things...

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
You can go online to different websites and check out the public school system in Escambia county. It is pretty bad. The latest headlines in the paper are all about how they are having to make more huge cutbacks due to the recent property tax rollback that the FL governor imposed. It is kind of funny, because right next to Escambia is Santa Rosa county (also facing the same issues with less tax revenue) and they have one of the best public school systems in the state. It just shows how inbred and bloated the county government in Escambia is.
If you are in to the Montessori thing, I have a friend who highly recommends Creative Learning Academy. A few of the other good private schools are some of the Catholic schools already mentioned, Episcopal Day School, and Pensacola Christian Academy (if that type of school is your thing).
As great a place as Pensacola is to live, you kind of just shake your head at some of the stupid policies and decisions that the government here makes. Pensacola is kind of idling while cities like Destin and Mobile are sprawling around it.

Hozer

Jobu needs a refill!
None
Contributor
That's why we're looking out here at Gulf Shores, I lived in Gulf Breeze as a kid in the 70's and I swear it hasn't changed that much.

Rambo

Private Schools

Hi. My husband is leaving for OCS soon and we actually live in Panama City beach. My son goes to a catholic school here and it is in the same diocese as the schools in pensacola. I have asked around to many people and called the schools and here's what I found out: St. Paul's is supposed to be very academically focused, and from what I hear it is the best. However, it is about 20-30 minutes from the base. I'm not sure how far you want to live from the base, or how far you want to drive....that is far....highway 98 is a pretty high traffic area. St. Paul's is also the most expensive. St. Johns is the closest to the base and I absolutely loved their website. This is the school I became the most excited about...the office was really friendly, the tuition is considerably lower, and the location is right next to the base. When seeing the pics of the art rooms and computer areas, I was impressed. Looks like a really good school and has a good reputation, but we plan to check it out ourselves. They are getting a new principal for the next school year, but I've heard good things. Sacred Heart is not very far from St. Pauls, so it's relatively far from the base. However, I've heard great things about Sacred heart as well. They actually have a cathedral! I've heard wonderful things about all three of these schools. We are only looking at catholic schools, but please let us know what you choose and why. We just love the close knit feeling of a private school, and the discipline. Our son is going to be in second grade and we're heading down to Pcola to check the schools out ourselves next week. Happy hunting, Brandy

LazersGoPEWPEW

4500rpm
Contributor
What a terrible place to be. Panama Sh*tty.

Don't raise your kids there unless you want them to be dopeheads which is what a lot of them end up being in that area.

SnipeDude

Cleveland Brown Fan
Hi. My husband is leaving for OCS soon and we actually live in Panama City beach. My son goes to a catholic school here and it is in the same diocese as the schools in pensacola. I have asked around to many people and called the schools and here's what I found out: St. Paul's is supposed to be very academically focused, and from what I hear it is the best. However, it is about 20-30 minutes from the base. I'm not sure how far you want to live from the base, or how far you want to drive....that is far....highway 98 is a pretty high traffic area. St. Paul's is also the most expensive. St. Johns is the closest to the base and I absolutely loved their website. This is the school I became the most excited about...the office was really friendly, the tuition is considerably lower, and the location is right next to the base. When seeing the pics of the art rooms and computer areas, I was impressed. Looks like a really good school and has a good reputation, but we plan to check it out ourselves. They are getting a new principal for the next school year, but I've heard good things. Sacred Heart is not very far from St. Pauls, so it's relatively far from the base. However, I've heard great things about Sacred heart as well. They actually have a cathedral! I've heard wonderful things about all three of these schools. We are only looking at catholic schools, but please let us know what you choose and why. We just love the close knit feeling of a private school, and the discipline. Our son is going to be in second grade and we're heading down to Pcola to check the schools out ourselves next week. Happy hunting, Brandy

I would highly recommend living in the Northeast part of town near the mall/airport anyways. I currently live out the backgate and the neighborhood is very nice but there is absolutely nothing else down there necessitating several 45 minute trips a week up to NE P-Cola where almost EVERYTHING is.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
I would highly recommend living in the Northeast part of town near the mall/airport anyways. I currently live out the backgate and the neighborhood is very nice but there is absolutely nothing else down there necessitating several 45 minute trips a week up to NE P-Cola where almost EVERYTHING is.

Agreed. I too lived just outside of the back gate when I was down there...

Spot

11.5 years and counting boat free
What is the average price for a 2 or 3 BR house in the Northeast part as opposed to the back gate? (Renting wise)