• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

prior service

Status
Not open for further replies.

dean11w

I am in the Air Force. I have a BS in Aeronautics and am currently in a graduate program in Aeronautical Science. My GPA was 3.1 in undergraduate, and is currently 3.75. Does prior service help?? I am undecided about pilot, nfo, etc. I think I can blow away the pft. As long as my test scores meet the minimum what are my chances?? I have heard timing is everything. What will get it done every time?

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
Just score well on the ASTB and the PFT. Being a prior is a big help. Your GPA looks good as well. Just take the test fill out the app and roll the dice. You should be good for sna or snfo. Its all about the timing but you have pretty good credentials so far.

Dave

frogggystyle

I had a decent college GPA, I had 10 years prior service, I scored the absolute minimuns for NFO on the OAR (similar to the ASTB), and I was picked up. (My pilot OAR scores were higher than my NFO scores, but my eyesight prevented me from getting into pilot training.) I think prior service does help a good deal. Having military experience can be a benefit in any situation.

"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his." - General George Patton (1885-1945)

marti

I'm gonna have to dissagree with both EODDave and Froggystyle. I don't think prior service makes a damn bit of difference, or at least not as much as it should. It's all about needs of the Navy, and your package showing up at just the right moment. I just got turned down from pilot. In my opinion I was very competitive, but right now the competition is really tough. Although, I can always come on this website and find a posting from a guy, or girl, that has no prior and got picked for BDCP or OCS and leaves within a year. Life's not fair but I'll get over it. In my personal opinion it is safer to take someone who knows what its like to be in the military and decides to go back in. As opposed to someone off the street who hasn't got a clue if they will like it or not. Just my 2 cents.

Gator

Prior military service is a definite plus to have on your application package. It's not a guarantee that you will get selected, but if your scores are competitive, then it can be the deciding factor. Good luck.
Scott

EODDave

pilot
Super Moderator
Sorry Marti,

I think that it is easier to get picked up for BDCP than getting a regular OCS slot. Why you ask? With BDCP they are filling slots a year or two out. Not waiting untill the billets are filled and trying to squeak in at the last moment. Just reapply. It is all about the timing. However, having prior service is def. a plus.

Dave

EODDave

pilot
Super Moderator
Sorry,

I hate double postings

banghead_125.gif
censored_125.gif

Valion310

I dunno, from the word I hear up at my office, prior's don't amount to squat right now. I totally agree that the ones fresh from the streets should take a back seat to us prior's. But, on the other hand, I wouldn't worry about what most people say around here. Sounds like rumors in the galley on cruise.

"Hey, did you hear? I got a buddy in Intel, who's a cousin with a Master Chief in Ops who's good friend replenishes the Skipper's wet bar who said we were gonna be pulling into Moscow for our next port. Naaaa, really, its true. I heard it from them." - Sound familiar?
banghead_125.gif

Valion310 rolling his own dice ~
batman_125.gif

frogggystyle

I just got turned down from pilot. In my opinion I was very competitive, but right now the competition is really tough. Although, I can always come on this website and find a posting from a guy, or girl, that has no prior and got picked for BDCP or OCS and leaves within a year. Life's not fair but I'll get over it.

It's no wonder that you disagree with me.

I can assure you that if I came from the civilian sector with the scores that I had, I would not have been accepted into aviation. Ed Phillips, who is the Fleet OCS Processor for all active duty applicants, stated in another thread here that priors are looked at differently than other applicants.

But, you don't have to take my word for it. You were rejected for pilot training with "very competitive" scores whereas I was picked up with the bare minimum scores as a prior enlisted. What I had going for me was an decade of sustained superior performance as an E. Being a prior DOES have an impact on your application. I know they didn't pick me up solely based on my bare minimum OAR scores. That I can assure you of.

bisouss69

Does anyone know how TN looks at the prior enlisted/active duty applications - actual process? At one point I heard that if you wernt picked up with the first board.. your application went to another board (2nd)...and if no luck... they say yes or no - and then you would have to reapply again. Is that true? Are they easier on priors in what aspects? OAR/GPA ..etc?
I applied and mine was recvd on Jul 24th - granted Ed P. said minimum 2-4 months...and that my application was still under review and I was still able as of this week to submit a Flag LOC I rcvd last week. I asked about prof rec but didnt get an answer.. just its still in the review process and its taking a long time because the communities are trying to pick the best candidates. I hope that wasnt like a .. you dont have a chance in hell answer.. or he just cant give any info out. But since I still could submit an award... I guess it is still under review.

Status
Not open for further replies.