• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Prior-service, do I need a copy of my old medical record for my Final Select docs?

AnonymousGuy

None
I am prior-enlisted. I was just separated in June 2009 (less than a year ago).

Do I have to have a copy of my previous medical record or my separation physical exam? I don't have any of this stuff:/

Won't MEPS just do a new physical exam on me?

Will they find my old medical record/separation physical exam?

I would love to have this question answered by my recruiter, but, of course, he doesn't know.:icon_rage

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
Big Navy will be able to get a copy of your medical record. If you want a copy, you will have to go through them. Call your nearest NAVHOSP for current procedure.

MEPS will still do an exam.

Most importantly, do not fail to get at least 3 copies of your medical record.

AnonymousGuy

None
Big Navy will be able to get a copy of your medical record. If you want a copy, you will have to go through them. Call your nearest NAVHOSP for current procedure.

MEPS will still do an exam.

Most importantly, do not fail to get at least 3 copies of your medical record.

Will big Navy definitely get a copy, or only if they need it? Why/when do i need the three copies??

Thanks for your help!

twobecrazy

RTB...
Contributor
Will big Navy definitely get a copy, or only if they need it? Why/when do i need the three copies??

Thanks for your help!

You should have copied your med record for yourself before you departed the military I think feddoc was referencing. You personally should have 3 copies of your record I was told to make copie of my med record before I departed the military. The main reason for this is that stuff gets lost all the time and it is always better if you can back something up by showing a copy. My OR had me sign a piece of paper releasing my medical record and service jacket from the records storage.

Gus Gorilla

I didn't/don't have a copy of mine but I'm sure I signed a release for it. Upon seperation time it was, "here's your record, go over to so-and-so and turn it in". I have no doubt that it can and will be had by those who need it in the future.
To slightly hijac this thread, I also do not have a pre-service civilian medical or dental record. Never really went to the Doc. I wasn't sickly and to be blunt about it, poor people don't go to the doctor unless they're dying. Does anyone think this will cause a problem in the future? The OCS site says to bring all your records. What if "All my records" is more like none due to past circumstances?

VetteMuscle427

is out to lunch.
None
To slightly hijac this thread, I also do not have a pre-service civilian medical or dental record. Never really went to the Doc. I wasn't sickly and to be blunt about it, poor people don't go to the doctor unless they're dying. Does anyone think this will cause a problem in the future? The OCS site says to bring all your records. What if "All my records" is more like none due to past circumstances?

Don't sweat it... I was the same way. I'd recommend seeing the dentist before you go though... we had a hand full of people who ended up getting some serious dental work done, and OCS isn't the place for that.

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor

Thanks for your help!

Yes and Yes. The three copy thing...twobecrazy gave good info on that.

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
I wouldnt offer up any additional info. If you have a copy of your old military medical jacket, then I'd hold onto it. When I came back in as an O, I started from scratch. Same with dental. I'm just the kinda guy who doesnt like to offer up anything that a doc might or might not want to look into. If you are cleared at MEPS and then at NOMI/NAMI then you should be cleared hot. Sometimes less is more.

Arctic_Frog

Excellent Advice.

I wouldnt offer up any additional info. If you have a copy of your old military medical jacket, then I'd hold onto it. When I came back in as an O, I started from scratch. Same with dental. I'm just the kinda guy who doesnt like to offer up anything that a doc might or might not want to look into. If you are cleared at MEPS and then at NOMI/NAMI then you should be cleared hot. Sometimes less is more.

Igloojam

pilot

Thread ressurrection here... I agree with this statement here as a prior....

Any recent prior guys from OCS know what they do with our old med records from our branch? Do they marry our new navy records with our previous service branch?

Thread Rez go...

Igloojam

pilot
Found my answer...

AS OF DATE BELOW... All you need is Shot and Dental records from prior service medical record...

SemperFiDay

Found my answer...

AS OF DATE BELOW... All you need is Shot and Dental records from prior service medical record...

@Igloojam is that from OCS experience? It would mirror what my OR & OP told me. I was in a smaller unit when I separated - didn't get a freaking DD256 much less my medical record. I was told not to worry about it because the Navy will start a new one at OCS.

Igloojam

pilot
@Igloojam is that from OCS experience? It would mirror what my OR & OP told me. I was in a smaller unit when I separated - didn't get a freaking DD256 much less my medical record. I was told not to worry about it because the Navy will start a new one at OCS.

yes from ocs experience... don't worry about it. They have all the info in the system.