• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Prior enlisted to NROTC. anyone else in my shoes?

PapaC03

Hey guys, I'm getting out of the Marine Corps here in September ( Honorably) and looking forward to going to college and most likely going into NROTC. I'm not worried about the scholarship I'm going to apply for advance standing and use my post 9/11 GI bill. This way ill have tuition covered and pull in the e-5 BAH and the monthly stipend from advance standing. Basically, I'm posting this thread to hear about your experiences being prior enlisted coming into an NROTC unit. How was it for you? What did you expect it to be like and how did your experience differ? Were you successful in pursuing the career path you wanted? What can I expect? I'm sure this is a common sight on the forums but I am pursuing the gold wings. I've wanted to be an aviator for a long time. Any aviators that read this, I would love to hear about your journey to getting your wings and how you like being an aviator as well!

Crowbar

None
I would say to go to college with an open mind. Before I started MECEP, I my overall expectation of Mids was pretty low. It didn't take long to realize that wasn't the case. Of course there were a handful of true screwups but overall the Mids I went to school with did their best to be professional and excel.

Use your experiences in a positive way. Whether they like you or not, whether you are buddies with them or not, since you've been to the fleet and actually done things, the students with no military experience will look up to you. Don't abuse that. Teach them, help them out. Remember that they will be your peers. Plus, later on in life when you run into some of these people, it's comforting to not wonder if they are cursing you under their breath because you were a jackass in college.

One of the most important things I stress to people who ask me questions like this is that getting commissioned is a long tough process. At any point along the way you can get fed up and stop/quit. Remember how excited you are right now and whenever you think you can't put up with anything else, think back to right now to keep yourself going.

As far as "successful in pursuing the career path (I) wanted" I guess I am. I got commissioned, made it through Pensacola, and got the community I wanted. Good luck to you.

cameron172

pilot
Use your experiences in a positive way. Whether they like you or not, whether you are buddies with them or not, since you've been to the fleet and actually done things, the students with no military experience will look up to you. Don't abuse that. Teach them, help them out.

(Just a Mid's 2 cents)

It's my last year in NROTC and the leadership, professionalism, and mindset I've developed (and continue to develop) as a soon-to-be officer is based mainly on what I've learned from the active duty guys with the experience and the willingness to share that experience. The Mids only learn so much book smarts in the leadership classes but you guys provide the real-world fleet experience and perspectives we can't read about in a book but need.

Some guys refuse to make eye contact with me when we cross paths on campus, let alone talk to me just because I'm a mid...And others are willing to take some time and help me with evals, LOIs, and answer my questions when I ask. I appreciate and look up to the latter, not so much the former.

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
"But that's not how we did it in the fleet..."

Don't be that guy.

Help out your fellow Mids but don't be overbearing. Do your best while keeping your head low. Know when to shut the fuck up and color. There's nothing worse than dealing with a know-it-all prior who doesn't know how to shut his mouth and be just another Midshipman. JROTC types were even worse. Other than that, have fun and slay it.

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
The above wisdom is pretty much exactly what you would read about if their were a book on the subject. One thing that became real to me pretty quickly was that the playing field was pretty different from the enlisted dudes you have been competing with. I was a top of the Christmas tree kind of guy in my old life, but now it's much harder to be there simply because, generally speaking, the lowest common denominator for officers ain't so low.

As far as the ego thing, I'd say just be a fly on the wall for a little while until you can figure out who does what, and who's actually important and who's not. Once you figure out the rhythm of things and you start making a few friends, then you can start taking the natural opportunities that present themselves to shine. No mid wants the guy wearing the "real" ribbons on the uniform to roll in on day one and try to act like his nuts are bigger than everyone elses. The staff won't really go for that either unless they have a battalion full of pussies.

Are you going to try to go back into the Marine Corps?

PapaC03

Gentleman, thanks for all the advice, I greatly appreciate your time to stop and answer my questions as I'm sure you've heard them a thousand times before. I honestly don't respect anyone who likes to flex nuts everywhere they go anyways. I honestly hope the midshipman would ask me for advice or help etc.. 4 years of experience would be worthless in nrotc if I wouldnt help anyone else gain or learn from it anyways in my opinion. @usmarinemike I actually plan on choosing the navy this time around.

PapaC03

The above wisdom is pretty much exactly what you would read about if their were a book on the subject. One thing that became real to me pretty quickly was that the playing field was pretty different from the enlisted dudes you have been competing with. I was a top of the Christmas tree kind of guy in my old life, but now it's much harder to be there simply because, generally speaking, the lowest common denominator for officers ain't so low.

As far as the ego thing, I'd say just be a fly on the wall for a little while until you can figure out who does what, and who's actually important and who's not. Once you figure out the rhythm of things and you start making a few friends, then you can start taking the natural opportunities that present themselves to shine. No mid wants the guy wearing the "real" ribbons on the uniform to roll in on day one and try to act like his nuts are bigger than everyone elses. The staff won't really go for that either unless they have a battalion full of pussies.

Are you going to try to go back into the Marine Corps?

I think I want to go Navy this time around

OscarMyers

None
Something else to think about. There are quite a few changes to the Post 9/11 Gi Bill. Such as the tuition cap and not getting paid the monthly stipend when on break, to name a few. I know a few guys down here at Embry Riddle that came here counting on that money and lost some funding. Besides that, the above mentioned advice was spot on. Things are pretty tight these days, i know of two priors that got turned down for advance standing. Just be sure to have a back up plan for your back up plan. Good luck.

PapaC03

Something else to think about. There are quite a few changes to the Post 9/11 Gi Bill. Such as the tuition cap and not getting paid the monthly stipend when on break, to name a few. I know a few guys down here at Embry Riddle that came here counting on that money and lost some funding. Besides that, the above mentioned advice was spot on. Things are pretty tight these days, i know of two priors that got turned down for advance standing. Just be sure to have a back up plan for your back up plan. Good luck.

I'm definitely tracking the changes happening, thanks for the heads up. Was it their first time applying for it? Or are they done?

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Advanced standing is what college programmers apply for after their sophomore year to stay in NROTC. If granted, they stay in and can commission, otherwise, they're kicked out. From what's been said here recently advanced standing is hard to come by these days for anyone.

PapaC03

Well from what the LT down at SDSU said was that he hasn't had any trouble getting any of his guys on advance standing. Especially in regards to getting guys scholarships. He basically said the navy either way is getting a commissioned officer, and if they can commission a guy for a fraction of the cost, then there you go.

HueyCobra8151

pilot
Something else to throw out there, is that there are going to be a lot of times where someone is put in charge of you who has little to no leadership experience and they are gonna make terrible decisions that adversely affect everyone's quality of life. Don't be the guy that is bitching loudly or complaining about every bad decision.

Also, be prepared to change your mindset about stuff, especially going from enlisted to officer and Marines to Navy. I have a friend who couldn't drop the enlisted mindset on some things and it has negatively impacted him.

PapaC03

Also, be prepared to change your mindset about stuff, especially going from enlisted to officer and Marines to Navy. I have a friend who couldn't drop the enlisted mindset on some things and it has negatively impacted him.

It's funny ,An officer once told me "prior enlisted guys always make either the best, or the worst officers." I think that holds a good amount of truth to it. That's something I've been thinking about quite a bit actually. As a lower ranking enlisted guy, its hard for me to fathom becoming an officer and being among those ranks right now. But the more i think about it, the more I feel it will impact me in a more positive way. I know what its like coming from the enlisted side, and seeing things from that/their point of view. Not to say that I will become a better officer than someone who was not prior service, but i do feel like I will be able to appreciate everything from the officer side just a little more.