• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

USN Prior enlisted HM trying to become a pilot. I have one big hurdle to jump...

GarryP

Hi everyone! I finally got my AW account approved for posting, so I'm coming to you guys with a bit of an odd situation.

When I was enlisted, I was seen for some post-deployment anxiety in 2015 and prescribed 10mg of Zoloft soon thereafter. Not long after that, it was discontinued by the doc (I haven't used it since April 2015). The problem is, "anxiety" and the use of meds to control it (for a brief period of time) is on my medical record and I'm concerned that it's going to impair my ability to take to the skies. Other than that, I had PRK (which I know I can get a waiver for) and that's all I have working against me. I was a stellar sailor and I know I'll be a phenomenal officer, it's just a matter of the docs giving me the go-ahead.

Has anyone ever dealt with NAMI over something like this? Thanks in advance.

sickboy

pilot
You may want to try over in "Doc's Corner" There's a flight surgeon who stops by there now and then (or at least used to).

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
I would recommend searching the Doc's Forum first to find a suitable answer. Based off my experience I'm going to say the odds are against you especially because it's fairly recent. Any sort of history of anxiety along with medication is iffy at best.

Also, PRK/LASIK waivers are never guaranteed. I've seen folks who have had either end up getting DQ because their eye sight is still unstable or with issues.

exNavyOffRec

Hi everyone! I finally got my AW account approved for posting, so I'm coming to you guys with a bit of an odd situation.

When I was enlisted, I was seen for some post-deployment anxiety in 2015 and prescribed 10mg of Zoloft soon thereafter. Not long after that, it was discontinued by the doc (I haven't used it since April 2015). The problem is, "anxiety" and the use of meds to control it (for a brief period of time) is on my medical record and I'm concerned that it's going to impair my ability to take to the skies. Other than that, I had PRK (which I know I can get a waiver for) and that's all I have working against me. I was a stellar sailor and I know I'll be a phenomenal officer, it's just a matter of the docs giving me the go-ahead.

Has anyone ever dealt with NAMI over something like this? Thanks in advance.

are you in the reserves or still under the 8 year MSO from initial joining? If so that could make things go easier.

Mr. Blonde

My ass is a motherfuckin' champion
pilot
I'm not sure how it affects someone trying to get their foot in the door other than possibly being a potential deciding factor between two otherwise equal applicants, but it is not automatically disqualifying for pilots. As an aviator you can be diagnosed and given meds, you'd be grounded while on them and would have to be off them for 6 months asymptomatic and get a Navy doc to sign off before you could come back to flying. If there is a 'relapse' or repeat diagnosis then it is permanently disqualifying. I would assume it's waiverable in your case, but I don't want to make an ass out of u and me...

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm not sure how it affects someone trying to get their foot in the door other than possibly being a potential deciding factor between two otherwise equal applicants, but it is not automatically disqualifying for pilots. As an aviator you can be diagnosed and given meds, you'd be grounded while on them and would have to be off them for 6 months asymptomatic and get a Navy doc to sign off before you could come back to flying. If there is a 'relapse' or repeat diagnosis then it is permanently disqualifying. I would assume it's waiverable in your case, but I don't want to make an ass out of u and me...

There are often different standards for applicants, what is waiverable for winged folks or even SNA/SNFO's may not be so for applicants. I would wait for @TimeBomb to chime in to give us a better idea for this particular issue but in the meantime here is the relevant info from the Aeromedical Guide (Page 12).

Mr. Blonde

My ass is a motherfuckin' champion
pilot
How about I started with: "I'm not sure how it affects someone trying to get their foot in the door", and followed that with my personal experience with NAMI, which is what the OP asked for in the beginning. OP: "Has anyone ever dealt with NAMI over something like this?"

You also were kind enough to bold the part where I mentioned it's not disqualifying for PILOTS (which is true and the point I was trying to convey). My last sentence was my personal guess based on what I know, I didn't come close to presenting it as fact which is why I qualified it with "would assume", COMMA, "but". What the fuck difference does it make anyway? I answered his question as best I could with what I do know on the subject. Maybe you can take a day off from commenting in every thread, more reading and less typing might help your reading comprehension.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
...My last sentence was my personal guess based on what I know, I didn't come close to presenting it as fact which is why I qualified it with "would assume", COMMA, "but". What the fuck difference does it make anyway? I answered his question as best I could with what I do know on the subject. Maybe you can take a day off from commenting in every thread, more reading and less typing might help your reading comprehension.

And a simple Google search found the relevant Aeromedical Reference and Waiver Guide. As you kindly point out I chime in plenty but with medical issues there is a reference that answers most of the questions easily available so we often don't have to rely on guesses what may or may not apply to an applicant. No need to get your knickers in a twist over a mild critique.

GarryP

are you in the reserves or still under the 8 year MSO from initial joining? If so that could make things go easier.

I'm still in the IRR and well within the eight-year period to which I agreed to serve.

Hmm... according to those common cases, it's really a toss-up as to what the Navy will think of my previous counseling.

Thanks, everyone!

Also, please don't bicker on AW. Save it for other social media sites.

exNavyOffRec

I'm still in the IRR and well within the eight-year period to which I agreed to serve.

Hmm... according to those common cases, it's really a toss-up as to what the Navy will think of my previous counseling.

Thanks, everyone!

Also, please don't bicker on AW. Save it for other social media sites.

If you are still under the 8 year MSO you need to talk to an OR now and get the process running, once you are out of the 8 year MSO you fall under new accession standards.

I had a prior service candidate who had an eye condition that the Capt at N3M told me if he was still under the MSO he would be in, but he is over the MSO so new accession standards apply, so he was no unwaiverable.

GarryP

If you are still under the 8 year MSO you need to talk to an OR now and get the process running, once you are out of the 8 year MSO you fall under new accession standards.

I had a prior service candidate who had an eye condition that the Capt at N3M told me if he was still under the MSO he would be in, but he is over the MSO so new accession standards apply, so he was no unwaiverable.

I'm already talking to the OR! I just have to get the paperwork from my visits to Behavioral Health from when I was in. Other than that, I've still gotta take the ASTB (already studying). I appreciate everyone's help!