• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Principles of Helicopter Flight

pilot06

Conaway, before I took the ASTB I studied this practice test http://www.columbia.edu/~mmx1/astb/ASTBgouge.pdf, as well as the ARCO book. I also used my old college math and physics notes to study as well, and I qualified for pilot. A few of the questions from the link were actually identical to some the questions on the test. Also, I had no helo questions on my test either. Good luck.

navysoccer18

FNG
pilot
I saw a few helo questions on the test a couple of years ago. However, they have probably changed the ASTB since I took it.

Also, please realize that just because you want to fly jets doesn't mean that the Navy will let you fly jets down the road. In fact, most studs enter the program with the intention of flying jets, but many will find themselves flying helos or props down the road. Put your focus on getting into the program before setting your heart on one platform or another.

Conaway

BAHAHAHAHA... oh man... best laugh I've had all day.

Ok, I have a sense of humor and I understand why you're laughing, but seriously, come on. The point of this was really to find out if there is enough helo stuff on the test for me to keep the book.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Ok, I have a sense of humor and I understand why you're laughing, but seriously, come on. The point of this was really to find out if there is enough helo stuff on the test for me to keep the book.

No, and if you end up at south whiting, you will never need what's in that book. The navy has books that say a lot of the same things...and they're free.

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor

No, there's no helo stuff on the test. My fine friend squorch was just laughing because 65% of Naval Aviators by 2010 will be rotary wing. :) Gotta aim high though...let us know if you need any help.

~D

vvmountainvv

Conoway-

don't sweat the test man. i grew up with a public education from GA...and if you grew up there too, don't worry. i only studied the visual or spacial apperception or whatever the hell it's called. the most math i ever did was algebra for dummies in college...i think it was like algebra 101, and i did fine. in fact i had the best possible combination of scores...i passed for pilot but didn't pass for NFO! anyways, good luck.

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
Helicopters fly by beating the air into submission.

It's true, i read it on the internet.

Conaway

Conoway-

don't sweat the test man. i grew up with a public education from GA...and if you grew up there too, don't worry. i only studied the visual or spacial apperception or whatever the hell it's called. the most math i ever did was algebra for dummies in college...i think it was like algebra 101, and i did fine. in fact i had the best possible combination of scores...i passed for pilot but didn't pass for NFO! anyways, good luck.

Hmm, interesting. Thanks.

Ya, I just really want to do well on this. I have been studying gouge material when I have time and asking my dad questions (who has been flying for 48 years this month). My goal is to make at least a 60 on the ASTB and if I sound like I've got something to prove,well...I do, to myself at least. Anyway, thanks for the tip and I'll remember to keep it simple. Just covering my bases.