• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Prince William Receives his Wings, learns what FACIT means

HercDriver

Idiots w/boats = job security
pilot
Super Moderator
No doubt...I'm guessin' there were no screaming sessions from his on wing about his scan/airspeed/altitude. Just a pleasant "Pardon me, your highness, but it seems the ball is out just a bit to the left. Please step on it, if you would, sir."

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Apparently he has poor eyesight, and is too tall and too old for RAF training. Wonder how hard it was for him to get those waivers.

Don't know anything about his eyesight or height, but he's only 25*. That's too old?? Note also that the wings are "ceremonial" so waivers aren't an issue.

He was born at 9.03pm on 21st June 1982, at St Mary’s Hospital, Paddington, London. A bulletin announced that the Royal baby weighed 7lb 1 1/2oz.

From Royal Website

Official Press Release:

Prince William receives his RAF wings
11th April 2008

Prince William today received his wings from his father, HRH The Prince of Wales, at a graduation ceremony at RAF Cranwell.

Prince William, who has spent the last four months on attachment to the RAF, has learnt to fly both Tucanos and Squirrel helicopters, during an intensive training programme which began on Tutor aircraft at Cranwell in January.

After his initial training at RAF Cranwell, which included flying solo for the first time, Prince William progressed to RAF Linton-on-Ouse where he spent a month learning to fly Tucanos. After this, he went to RAF Shawbury where he learnt to fly Squirrel helicopters, which he followed up with an attachment to the Support Helicopter Force at RAF Odiham.

As a future Head of the Armed Forces, the Prince has also spent some time learning more about the role, structure and ethos of the RAF, visiting the Red Arrows at RAF Scampton, Headquarters Air Command at High Wycombe and Search and Rescue teams at RMB Chivenor.

Following his graduation, Prince William will spend three more weeks with the RAF, visiting a number of other bases to complete his four month attachment.

During May, William will undertake a number of official engagements followed by some leave, before he begins his attachment with the Royal Navy at the beginning of June.

Scoob

If you gotta problem, yo, I'll be part of it.
pilot
Contributor
According to press reports, his flight instruction was aimed at making "competent", but not "operational".

you're a prince and your girlfriend is hot and you're a competent, but not operational flier. hmmm. that would nag at me.
It's a mistake to assume that "operational" implies also "competent".;)

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
From everything I've read about him, he seems like a stand up guy. Kind of a LOT of pressure on the guy to not be a f*ckup. He's done a few dumb things that would not cause much of a stir if anyone else did it - but this guy can't take a dump without some paparazzi crammin' a camera up his rear.

I hope that his experience, though not setting him to be operational, will help him be a good leader. Hot girlfriend he may have, but his life I wouldn't want.

Semper Jump Jet

Ninja smoke...POOF.
pilot
According to press reports, his flight instruction was aimed at making "competent", but not "operational".

you're a prince and your girlfriend is hot and you're a competent, but not operational flier. hmmm. that would nag at me.

Yeah, he got 'competent' in 4 months? I'm going on 10 years... almost there...

DangerousDan

I could tell you but I would have to kill you
From everything I've read about him, he seems like a stand up guy. Kind of a LOT of pressure on the guy to not be a f*ckup. He's done a few dumb things that would not cause much of a stir if anyone else did it - but this guy can't take a dump without some paparazzi crammin' a camera up his rear.

I hope that his experience, though not setting him to be operational, will help him be a good leader. Hot girlfriend he may have, but his life I wouldn't want.

Word.... I couldn't imagine being able to goto even a Mcdonald's to get a hamburger without someone bugging you for a picture or and autograph.

I have a lot of respect for him since he's willing to follow tradition and put on the uniform. I definitely have a new found respect for Harry of late, given his demanding to get deployed so he could be in harms way with his men.

MasterBates

If Prince Harry rolled into the O-Club here, I would buy the man a beer, simply because he COULD stay at home and "be a royal", but he tries his damndest to be a leader, as much as he can without endangering his men.

Oh, and on the 'I wouldn't want to be him' front, I'm willing to give it a crack if he wants to trade and live in the PUMA for a while.

However, I will probably make the movie "King Ralph" look like Shakespeare.

Jeff29

Science Project
Don't know anything about his eyesight or height, but he's only 25*. That's too old?? Note also that the wings are "ceremonial" so waivers aren't an issue.
From what I have read, his eyesight is pretty bad and the age limit for incoming RAF pilots is 23. The waiver comment was a joke - I doubt he had much trouble with getting those issues overlooked.

plc67

pilot
I'm pretty sure one of the Royals bilged out of RMC training. Decided he wanted to be a ballerina or something along those lines.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Google 'Prince William's girlfriend' and you might find out, or you could ask your girlfriend (if you have one), I betcha she knows........

I asked your's a few minutes ago, I think she knew, but she couldn't talk at the moment....:D

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I asked your's a few minutes ago, I think she knew, but she couldn't talk at the moment....:D

Really, I didn't realize you looked like this? Since she has been playing with the dog for the past hour.......

main.php

It took you 6 days to come up with that? Having trouble, are we?