• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Primary EPs

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
Hey everyone, I'm starting SNA primary soon as a retread and I'm wondering if Notes, Warnings and Cautions are required to be memorized these days. I know they weren't in the T-6 when I went through the NFO syllabus a few years back but I have heard they are required now for the T-34. Thanks.
PM me what you want to fly and I will tell you what you need to know.

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
A slight threadjack on Halon.

In all of my firefighting classes I have never heard of Halon sucking the air out of someone's lungs.

The only ding Halon gets against it is that it becomes Toxic at a certain temperature. When released onto a fire it will break the chain reaction, but it does not have a cooling effect so the heat remains causing it to become toxic.

You can be in a sealed space with Halon released into it and still be fine, I just wouldn't recomend sticking around for long.

One of our instructors at school had this happen to him, walked out fine. Swears by the stuff.

Oh yeah, and hippies hate Halon because it hurts the environment.

We had Bromotrifluoromethane in the T-44 NATOPS. The Warning basically said what you were getting at H20man - that if it is exposed to fire, the fumes are bad news. I want to say it was part of the Smoke and Fumes or Smoke/Fire Unknown Origin EP.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
To the OP,

I'd, of course, know the boldface verbatim and stick with knowing what the notes, warnings and cautions are talking about.

As far as Halon, I've heard both stories... that it'll suck the air out of your lungs (by a BMC who probably had more time at sea than the number of hours I've been alive). I've also hear the fumes bit by some 10lbs head chemistry profs.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Halon doesn't suck the air out, it displaces the air because it's heavier. So, if you breathe it in, it takes the place of the air, it doesn't necessarily suck it out. Same difference/effect in the long run, but it's possible to be in a space with it discharged and survive if you aren't in there very long.

Oh-58Ddriver

Scouts Out!
None
Contributor
Hey everyone, I'm starting SNA primary soon as a retread and I'm wondering if Notes, Warnings and Cautions are required to be memorized these days. I know they weren't in the T-6 when I went through the NFO syllabus a few years back but I have heard they are required now for the T-34. Thanks.

So, are YOU starting primary or is your husband?

I once had a conversation with a girl that was checking into the same apartment complex I was in Enterprise, AL when I started flight school. She asked what I was doing, I told her. She started giving me advice, what to study, what not to. She said things like "we had a lot of trouble in the aeromed phase, but the systems classes were easier than we expected." She then said "we have been here so long, we are being promoted to CW2 before flight school even ends." I say "who is we?" And she says "my husband and I." I was like "well, that's cool they at least got you guys in the same class." And she responded "oh I'm not in the Army, I could never do that." AHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
So, are YOU starting primary or is your husband?

I once had a conversation with a girl that was checking into the same apartment complex I was in Enterprise, AL when I started flight school. She asked what I was doing, I told her. She started giving me advice, what to study, what not to. She said things like "we had a lot of trouble in the aeromed phase, but the systems classes were easier than we expected." She then said "we have been here so long, we are being promoted to CW2 before flight school even ends." I say "who is we?" And she says "my husband and I." I was like "well, that's cool they at least got you guys in the same class." And she responded "oh I'm not in the Army, I could never do that." AHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

wow. I have yet to meet one of these women, but I have heard plenty of these stories :icon_rage

phrogpilot73

You mean like Phrogpilot73 wearing his wifes new rank?

:D:D:D:D:D
Do you know who my wife is?!?

In actuality, I am merely a Mr. when it comes to her events (at least I try to be, it's hard when you went to the Academy with some of her co-workers). I even own a tux just for that purpose.

Funniest thing I've ever seen WRT wearing a rank that's not yours: I was driving into Lejeune via the back gate early one morning, and there's one car ahead of me. I can tell via her side view mirror that she's about 18, maybe 19. The very tired Marine (I'm guessing they were close to a shift change) waves her through the gate. She starts going off on him and is yelling shit like "you're supposed to salute the blue sticker!!" This young devil dog leans over, looking directly at the blue sticker, salutes it and says "Good morning blue sticker, how are you today?" She takes off in a huff. I pulled up and he saw a Marine Officer, and was very apologetic. I started laughing and said "don't worry about it, that was the best thing I've seen all week!"

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
why would P3 guys need to memorize any eps? they have 4 engines

My sarcasmometer is gauge limit, but for anyone wondering, a prop malfunction can go from "hm" to "crap" to "compound" to "fucked" faster than you can get to the book, much less open it to the correct page and subsequently figure out where you are. The notes/warnings/cautions are usually related to fast diagnosis of the issue at hand.

Whether that really should apply to, or be required of SNAs is probably a result of the community's nit-noid-itis.

"Hey did you know that....."
"Dude, shut up."