• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Primary Attrition and D.O.R

Status
Not open for further replies.

Squid

F U Nugget
pilot
I've come to the realization that a day flying for the Navy (in anything) is better than the jobs of 99.99% of the people in the world.

preach on. any day in the Navy (even floating boats) is better than the equivalent day in the rat race for a 20-30 something.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yup. The trouble with the rat race is even if you win, you're still a rat!

petescheu

I'm surprised there aren't any helo pilots here laying the smack down... I'm just waiting for the ship to hit the span on this one. I don't know why helo's get such a bad rap. I have a very good friend who is out in the 60B FRS in San Diego and he doesn't shut up about how awesome it is. They seem plenty cool to me. And if you'd rather push a desk than fly anything, you are probably going to test positive for crack on your next wiz quiz, or are going to get thrown out for a section 8 anyways, so it's a good thing you're DORing now. But that's just my opinion...

arkansastrumpet

OK hold up here. So what I'm hearing is that people are dropping out of primary or attriting and being shipped out to the Fleet. That's stupid as crap, but that's another story.

I was told by people that if you D.O.R. or attrited, you were separated from the Navy.

What's the good gouge on this?

"Freakin' people wouldn't know a dream job if it smacked 'em in the face."

petescheu

The good gouge is that the latter is true. DOR or wash out of flight training and you're hanging up the uniform for good. At least right now that's how it is, since supposedly the Navy has too man people, however hard to believe that is. Used to be that you could try and redesignate to another community or be sent to General Aviation. Not sure if/when they'll go back to that.

mbeaser

arkansastrumpet said:
OK hold up here. So what I'm hearing is that people are dropping out of primary or attriting and being shipped out to the Fleet. That's stupid as crap, but that's another story.

I was told by people that if you D.O.R. or attrited, you were separated from the Navy.

What's the good gouge on this?

"Freakin' people wouldn't know a dream job if it smacked 'em in the face."

Look at the date on the orig. post, that was 02, and that was how things worked then. Things have changed.

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
Yes,

If you are a Marine and attrite from aviation you are out of the Marines.

Dave

contrail_dash

I dont really care what I fly, just as long as I have some gold wings. But then my old man is a "rotor head" and I have flown a helicopter. Man is it hard. But then jets are way cool....fast...and you can eject...not an option in a helo. But then if ya got E3's that be pretty pimp..build time in 4 engine jets, go into the airlines.......either way all options seem fun to me...just as long as I got those wings.

By the way, I used to live in Corpus...graduated college in texas...wouldnt mind doing some trainin there....good luck to you guys who want it....good choice of location.

gnorman911

Going nuclear

It seems that the Navy is very hard up for nucs. It would seem kind of wierd for the Navy to send a qualified ensign packing if they want to take a nuc sub position. So if you get the boot from flight school they won't give you a chance to go to nuc school? Just wondering, because I want to be naval officer in some fashion. Also if you get NPQ'd can you redesignate to nuclear sub duty.?

Dustball

2nd LT
EODDave: I'm a Marine and your not kicked out of the Corps if you attrite or DOR from flight school. You revert back to a ground billet and finish a regular four year ground commitment. Now that being said just because they don't kick you out doesn't mean your going to get the MOS you want. Most are just given what ever is the highest demand which I think right now is finance.

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
Good info and must have changed then. There was a Gyrine here in Meridian who got out after he attrited.

Dave

Dustball

2nd LT
If you want out I'm sure you could find a way to duck out of your commitment since we have so called aviation contracts but there not going to force you out. Even at that I don't think they let you go without a fight.

Demento

Old Salt
Helo flying

shoo24 said:
I'm surprised there aren't any helo pilots here laying the smack down... I'm just waiting for the ship to hit the span on this one. I don't know why helo's get such a bad rap. I have a very good friend who is out in the 60B FRS in San Diego and he doesn't shut up about how awesome it is. They seem plenty cool to me. And if you'd rather push a desk than fly anything, you are probably going to test positive for crack on your next wiz quiz, or are going to get thrown out for a section 8 anyways, so it's a good thing you're DORing now. But that's just my opinion...

Long ago, I wanted to fly A-6's and drop napalm on Commies. My grades meant that I got to fly helicopters. Did not make the Jet cut. I was sad until the first day I learned to hover, which was Fam 2. (On Fam-1 I was horrible.) It all turned out to be a real blast. Flew SH-2F's and SH-60B's.

What's not to like?

Demento

Status
Not open for further replies.