• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

pretty good f-35 display management video

flaps

happy to be here
None
Contributor
might not be too long before the aren't any sticks to complain about displays and work load either.
mehjoo20120611225823950.jpg

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor
If the F-35 ever goes "downtown" into heavily defended airspace (Russia, China, Iran), I bet we see a huge incidence of sensory overload by those singlr-seat pilots. I'm not tryin' to build a case for NFOs so much as propose that aviating, navigating, communicating, jamming as well as scanning for bogeys and yankin' & bankin' gets to be a real load when you're trying to do all that as well as monitor & react to 4-6 LCD displays blinkin' & ringin' simultaneously. Just sayin' that it might be a good time to have a [good] male secretary in the rear cockpit.

jmcquate

Contributor
With the networked sensor system there must be a way to filter the input or you would have a single seat AWACS/JSTARS doing Mach 1.1.

If the F-35 ever goes "downtown" into heavily defended airspace (Russia, China, Iran), I bet we see a huge incidence of sensory overload by those singlr-seat pilots. I'm not tryin' to build a case for NFOs so much as propose that aviating, navigating, communicating, jamming as well as scanning for bogeys and yankin' & bankin' gets to be a real load when you're trying to do all that as well as monitor & react to 4-6 LCD displays blinkin' & ringin' simultaneously. Just sayin' that it might be a good time to have a [good] male secretary in the rear cockpit.
That's why there are millions of lines of code, to take the load off

Phantom309

the f-14 d had one mfd in the back seat and two in the front seat. the f-15e had 5 mfd's in the back seat (as far as i know). i heard the eagle wso's complained about being 'display limited'.
http://aviationintel.com/2012/07/13...video-see-the-f-35s-avionics-suite-in-action/
From the time I worked on the F-15E I remember 4 MFD's for the WSO, the stick actuator(Pilot) had I think three up front if I remember correctly. Now on the D model F-15 the WSO is lucky to even have a seat he don't crap back there

Fog

None
Contributor
That's why there are millions of lines of code, to take the load off

Well all those lines of code & the whizbang All-Aspect Situational Awareness System had better work as advertised or flyin' this beast into contested airspace will devolve into a 1-man CF.

flaps

happy to be here
None
Contributor
i would think 'system networking' or whatever the proper term is, makes the driver of a single seat platform much less autonomous. everything his system(both air frame and weapon) is telling him is also being linked to a multitude of other folks who are there to help him out.
when doing structural and weapon system flight test in heavily instrumented tomcats, it was very obvious that the folks(via telemetry) on the ground knew a lot more about what was going on with the airframe and weapon system (pressures, strain gages,back up system failures, etc) than the air crew did, and would frequently call a 'knock it off' before the crew had a clue they were exceding predefined limits.
i'm guessing system networking and multi sensor integration allow similar off board monitoring to a much greater extent than i could ever imagine.

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
Well all those lines of code & the whizbang All-Aspect Situational Awareness System had better work as advertised or flyin' this beast into contested airspace will devolve into a 1-man CF.

One could argue that the seamless integration of sensors, comm, datalink, etc could reduce pilot workload.

Fog

None
Contributor
i would think 'system networking' or whatever the proper term is, makes the driver of a single seat platform much less autonomous. everything his system(both air frame and weapon) is telling him is also being linked to a multitude of other folks who are there to help him out. . . i'm guessing system networking and multi sensor integration allow similar off board monitoring to a much greater extent than i could ever imagine.

Yeah, but in Russia or China those folks are gonna be hundreds - if not thousands - of miles away. Maybe there'll be some EA-18Gs around to help, but all those people & the AWACS & E-2s of the world aren't gonna be there to assist. JMHO.

flaps

happy to be here
None
Contributor
well, i don't think it will be china. they probably wouldn't lend us the money to go to war with them.