• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

President Obama Wins Nobel Peace Prize

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
Yeah...allow me to say that I was...surprised.

I suspect I feel the same way many of you do...however, be careful here guys. This is our Commander-in-Chief. Let's not time this thread with an egg timer.

Pugs

Back from the range
None
No doubt I need a good ab workout but my intensive cookie hurl this morning upon hearing this was not what I had in mind.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
Taken some time to think about this...and say it correctly...

Ultimately my argument is that winners like this ultimately cheapen the importance of the prize itself. This is not a comment on President Obama, but simply a reflection on timing.

First, nominations for the prize were due in February, less than a month from his inaguration as President. By this point, what had Obama been able to do to effect change in the international community? My suspicion is very little.

Second, It has only been 8 months since Obama's first international action could have been taken, so, how can the international community really assess objectively the effect of any action Obama has taken? Perhaps Obama's attempts to engage Iran in non-proliferation talks will give Iran time to finish development of nuclear weapons capability. How can we know?

Ultimately, I think the mistake in this selection is that it is FAR to early to tell...the man is making overtures...but I doubt the Nobel Committee can read the future. Awards such as this, as well as awards to people like Arafat (for dramatically different reasons) cheapen the Nobel Prize. A shame...

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
For a while now I have believed that W's successor, whoever that might be, would be able to "cash in" on significant "good cop/bad cop" sentiment in international politics, and doing so could be advantageous to the interests of the United States. However, I did not see this coming (and if the media analysis is to be believed, neither did the White House staff).

In regards to the timing of the nomination due date and inauguration date, the current administration was noted for having a head start on turnover and went on the record for making policy statements prior to the actual inauguration. Still though, this is all pretty early on...

Edit: In other words, (former President) George W. Bush really scared the crap out of a lot of people, and part of the reasoning behind this award is a reflection of that, for better or for worse.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Regardless of what he's done since being in office, I thought the point of winning this award was that the individual had shown a long history of peace-driven accomplishments or done something so drastic in a short time to have justified this. I don't think that just visiting with other foreign leaders, which is what every president does and which is basically all that President Obama has done, warrants this.

That said, there is a part of me that's actually glad to see the award go to an American.

jtmedli

pilot
Regardless of what he's done since being in office, I thought the point of winning this award was that the individual had shown a long history of peace-driven accomplishments or done something so drastic in a short time to have justified this. I don't think that just visiting with other foreign leaders, which is what every president does and which is basically all that President Obama has done, warrants this.

That said, there is a part of me that's actually glad to see the award go to an American.

I think I would rather see it go to someone who deserved it before I saw it go to an American, but I understand what you're saying.

Greater men have done much, much more for much, much less. Way to piss away your credibility Nobel Peace Prize. :thumbdn_1

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
It's not like conservatives took the Nobel Peace Prize seriously to begin with. I suspect his reaction will be more telling than that he was awarded the prize.

But yes, I agree with Jim, it's a "you command the biggest military and nuclear arsenal.....and you're not Bush" prize.

There's a shitshow coming, and I think few folks are going to come away looking better as a result.

MasterBates

I respect the CINC.. But what has he DONE.

No treaties. No real peace talks. He's continued the Iraq pullout put into place before he was even elected, and has not accomplished much of note in Afghanistan.

He may very well be deserving of the NPP in the future, but the man has only been President for 8 months. Hasn't even got much done on the domestic policy front.

GroundPounder

That was a bit of a shocker. I guess those guys that win the Nobel for physics years after their discoveries/innovations are wishing they had gotten into politics. Much faster return.

No offense to President Obama, but has there ever been anyone that has gotten so much acclaim with so little tangible accomplishments?

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
I respect the CINC.. But what has he DONE.

No treaties. No real peace talks. He's continued the Iraq pullout put into place before he was even elected, and has not accomplished much of note in Afghanistan.

He may very well be deserving of the NPP in the future, but the man has only been President for 8 months. Hasn't even got much done on the domestic policy front.

It is my understanding that nominations are due 01 FEB; he took office about two weeks prior.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It was a prize for not being George W. Bush. Pure and simple. The prizes given to Carter in '02 and Gore in '07 were explicitly said to be "a kick in the leg" to Pres. Bush. Why would this be different?

The Prize is supposed to be about achievements for peace. Not aspirations, or potential, or Hope. Would you award the Nobel for Medicine to a doctor who said he hoped to cure cancer? Or the Literature Prize to someone who said he had a great idea for a novel?

Politically, the best thing the President could do would be to humbly refuse to accept it. "I hope someday this administration will achieve the high distinctions the Nobel is intended to honor, but too much remains to be done," or something like that. Takes the wind out of the Right and makes the Left fall even more in love with him.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I actually though this was a joke when I read the title. I think many of the guys here have hit the nail on the head, way too early. If you look back over the history of the award there have been quite a few controversial recipients, and while many of the recent awards have been excellent choices I think they have jumped the gun on this one.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
Politically, the best thing the President could do would be to humbly refuse to accept it. "I hope someday this administration will achieve the high distinctions the Nobel is intended to honor, but too much remains to be done," or something like that.

You could have a career in politics. I agree completely. That would not only be a "great" political move, but the class act thing to do. Honorable.