• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

President Carter Saying McCain is "Milking" His POW Experience

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
I'm not a fan of former President Carter for a variety of reasons -- in fact he's one of the reasons that > 75% of my squadron mates and I were "voting w/ our feet" during his time in office.

But he's off the mark w/ his comments re: John McCain's POW days that's being discussed in this thread. He should leave it alone -- at the risk of appearing to be nothing but a political crank. But then again, both sides have made the subject "political".

The best advice I could give anyone in the military would be to do more and talk less -- about yourself. Make sense??? :)

HueyCobra8151

pilot
Vote for a third party. Go ahead, throw your vote away!

iVotedForKodos1.gif

I'll see your reference and raise you.

HercDriver

Idiots w/boats = job security
pilot
Super Moderator
So you are telling us that the Huffington Post and some blog called "The Carpetbagger" have strong anti John McCain rhetoric about an issue that would otherwise be one of his strengths as a candidate?

Next I will find out that Michelle Malkin and Anne Coulter have been slamming Senator Obama...

Edit: I just hope they don't start attacking Robot Nixon, or I won't have anyone to vote for.
Actually I read those quotes of John McCain in the paper when they occured; the links containing Sen McCain's quotes were the first that came up in my search engine. And it wasn't what the blogs said...it was what Sen McCain said himself.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
How bad can being held captive be? Ask those who Carter let rot in Tehran during his administration while he was nice and cozy in Washington. Arguably the worst president in history and he's actually still doing downhill. Can the Navy pretend he was never an officer.

But he should go back to his peanut farm in Plains, GA and keep his mouth shut. He's done more damage to this country than any one person could imagine doing. Why do they give him camera time?

I am not a great fan of President Carter, but those comments are out of line. You both need to brush up on your history and tone down the rhetoric. Just because you disagree with his politics and his views doesn't mean you need to denigrate the man personally.

He apparently was a fine Navy officer, good enough to be one of Rickover's first officers. And he did approve an effort to rescue the Iranian hostages that failed through no fault of his own and yet he took responsibility, as he should have.

If you had more experience than a few months of flight school or just being an applicant, maybe you would understand. :eek:

Nikki2184

call me naive, but I think it is possible that at times he is merely trying to answer a question honestly, and that happens to involve his experience as a POW, an experience which is going to change who you are and shape your opinion on things. The question is, where is the line between naturally referencing a huge aspect of his life vs. using it as a political tool. I suppose that is just a matter of perspective.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
call me naive
Okay.

Jay Leno:For one million dollars, how many houses do you have?

John McCain: Could I just mention to you Jay, that in a moment of seriousness, I spent five and a half years in a prison cell, I didn't have a house, I didn't have a kitchen table, I didn't have a table, I didn't have a chair.
You tell me if that's "naturally referencing a huge aspect of your life" or something else.

Nikki2184

true. there are DEFINATLY cases where he was using it politically, but to assume that EVERY time he talks about it is political, may be an overstatement. I honestly haven't heard enough of his speeches to know how much he uses it or in what context...haven't had regular access to TV or internet for a couple months...

voodooqueen

DAR Lapsarian
It's nice to hear that being a Viet Nam vet comes with special recognition and treatment these days. Maybe that will trickle down to the homeless guys as well.

Carter should be smart enough to realize that no good comes of dissing a war hero. He could have found any number of other issues to challenge McCain with.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I have followed Sen McCain's political career closely. My wife was an intern for him when he was first elected to the House. I have had friends who were close personal friends of his and advisor's. Personally, I don't care too much for some of his positions. I haven't voted for him in a primary for a couple elections, including this past presidential cycle. All that said, over many many years of politics he has rarely used the POW issue. His comment during his first election countering carpet bagger charges was absolutely true. How else should he answer residency questions like that given his history? Since that comment 20ish years ago, until this campaign, I can not recall his being a POW brought up more then a couple times. McCain is famous for self deprecating humor. He considers becoming a POW a failure, so he tends to joke about it when it comes up. He is quite private for a big time politician. There are lots of personal angles that could be exploited for the campaign, and he hasn't done it. Has the POW thing come up more this campaign then any other, sure. As mentioned above, he is taking it to a higher level then any campaign before. What is wrong with that? Being a POW in VN (well, I expect, anywhere) was a life altering experience. It is a central part of who he is. There is nothing wrong with reminding the American people about the events that shaped his life and influence his politics. Would another candidate be slammed for bringing up his work as a Peace Corp Volunteer or a corespondent in a war torn country? Hillary was allowed to mention dodging bullets all she wanted until it was pointed out that it was a lie. Anyone claiming McCain's POW experience is inflated? No. So he is entitled to use that part of his life to influence voters honestly. I don't like the guy, but I'll give him that. Anyone, Herc, Carter or liberal blogger got a problem with McCain mentioning his POW experience needs to check their hate.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
...Anyone...got a problem with McCain mentioning his POW experience needs to check their hate.
Right on, Brother. And it's usually those who haven't done SHIT or EVER put themselves at risk for a higher calling that are the first to criticize, too ...

What a surprise, huh??? :)

HercDriver

Idiots w/boats = job security
pilot
Super Moderator
No hatred here, Wink

I'm just disappointed that it is now a bizarre non sequitor for any criticism of Sen McCain. You said yourself he is mentioning it more because of running for president. So, the increase in talking about it is for political purposes...and that is what I find disappointing.
There is nothing wrong with reminding the American people about the events that shaped his life and influence his politics. Would another candidate be slammed for bringing up his work as a Peace Corp Volunteer or a corespondent in a war torn country?
I think most politicians would be criticized (and he has had very little press criticism this election cycle) for bringing up past heroic endeavors or terrible things they endured, just because they were under scrutiny. Sen Clinton ducking for cover in a serpentine fashion has nothing to do with it. Not sure how when being queried on not remembering how many houses you own (with the subtext of being out of touch with the avg American), would cause you to bring up your experiences as a POW to answer the question and show that time as shaping your "life and influencing [your] politics". For me it is a cheap and easy way to deflect that criticism. We might have to respectfully disagree on this.

Being critical of something isn't the same has showing hate, BTW. I like and respect Sen McCain (which has nothing to do with my agreeing or disagreeing with his politics), and personally; well I doubt I could have put that time behind me after coming back from the war like he did. That he was able to do that and not harbor incredible bitterness says tremendous things about him. However he is a public servant and open to intelligent and respectful criticism as are Senators Obama, Biden, and Clinton.

I'm thinking this thread has about run its course.