• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Prescription Eyewear for SNAs

jt71582

How do you fly a Clipper?
pilot
Contributor
Forgive me if this has been covered, my search fu is failing me. This question is for flight docs or SNA/NAs that are in my situation:
:icon_smil

I'm required to wear glasses when flying. I was wondering if I can get prescription glasses (i.e. Oakley, etc.) other than the ones issued to us by NOMI, and wear them in the airplane. Has anyone here used prescription glasses/sunglasses not issued?

If not, how do I go about getting contacts through medical? Is that even allowed?

I'm in API right now but want to take care of my glasses situation before I head to Corpus. Thanks AW!

desertoasis

Something witty.
None
Contributor
Wear the NOMI issued ones with your helmet...your head will thank you. I tried to get away with wearing my Oakleys when I was in API and it just didn't work...the NOMI ones are much...MUCH more comfortable with the helmet.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
You shouldn't need sunglasses in the aircraft anyway, with the visor and all. I almost earned my primary form partner and I a new callsign on one flight when I forgot to swap my clear visor for a daytime one and had to use sunglasses for the rest of the flight. "Cool Flight"...."2"

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
There's actually a thread about Oakleys...try searching for...wait for it...Oakleys. That said, I wouldn't recommend flying w/ them for the same reason as dessertoasis said. Even the issue "conventional" ear thingies can get annoying after a few hours, depending on your helmet fit. The military style ear thingies are even worse.

You won't be able to get contacts (or free ones, anyway) until you get to the fleet.

As for shades and visors...yeah, what MIDNJAC said. It's really not necessary, though there's some benefit to having that setup later on in primary when you may fly into the evening and dusk since your helmet won't have dual visors (which is absolutely ridiculous, but I digress).

That said, if anyone ever flies w/ the current Whiting FITU OIC (who doesn't fly w/ studs much), you'll see he still sports the visor/Ray Bans look, just like back in the day when he was my onwing years ago. I'm convinced they're the same Ray Bans, too.

D_Rob

Lead LTJG
You shouldn't need sunglasses in the aircraft anyway, with the visor and all. I almost earned my primary form partner and I a new callsign on one flight when I forgot to swap my clear visor for a daytime one and had to use sunglasses for the rest of the flight. "Cool Flight"...."2"

And getting violed with the c/s "Cool Flight" is well, not cool...

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
To add on to the contacts thing, you are allowed to wear them in the plane, but as gatordev said you won't get them free till you hit the fleet. Just get an appointment with a naval optometrist and he'll check you out wearing them to make sure you can still see 20/20 and write you a prescription so you can go buy some more.

jt71582

How do you fly a Clipper?
pilot
Contributor
Thanks all, so the general consensus is to just keep the ones NOMI gave me - in the name of comfort?

desertoasis

Something witty.
None
Contributor
Thanks all, so the general consensus is to just keep the ones NOMI gave me - in the name of comfort?

I felt like I had no chance of losing those in the bay, or in the dunker...they also feel more sturdy on my head. At least for the water survival part of API, I'd recommend it.

Besides, no matter what Top Gun fanatics think, NO one is going to see what you look like in the cockpit of an aircraft except the other occupants...it's not a big deal if you're wearing BCGs. ;)

UMichfly

pilot
None
Besides, no matter what Top Gun fanatics think, NO one is going to see what you look like in the cockpit of an aircraft except the other occupants...it's not a big deal if you're wearing BCGs. ;)

Or the dudes 20 feet away flying form with you and making comments over tac' about how you look like Drew Carey's ugly bastard stepchild. :icon_wink

SteveG75

Retired and starting that second career
None
I had a buddy back in A-6 land who wore the gas mask inserts eye glasses with a strap around the head. No painful parts squeezed between your temple and helmet plus safer if you have to eject as well.

MCU2P.jpg

They are in the Navy system as MCU-2P (Mask Compatible, Combat Spectacle, Mag-1).
http://www.med.navy.mil/SITES/NOSTRA/FRAMESLENSES/Pages/GMI.aspx

Having good vision without the distractions of pain or discomfort is more important than looking cool.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
That's actually a great idea... +1.

Being on a contact lens waiver has allowed my blind ass (literally 20/400) to keep flying so long as I keep a spare pair of glasses "readily available." I might have to request a set of those for shits and giggles.

desertoasis

Something witty.
None
Contributor
Being on a contact lens waiver has allowed my blind ass (literally 20/400) to keep flying so long as I keep a spare pair of glasses "readily available." I might have to request a set of those for shits and giggles.

How are you single anchor with vision like that? Mine is identical and they said there was no waiver I could get short of PRK that would allow me to be pilot?

Not that I'm unhappy as a FO, just curious how that works...

/threadjack.

BarrettRC8

VMFA
pilot
How are you single anchor with vision like that? Mine is identical and they said there was no waiver I could get short of PRK that would allow me to be pilot?

Not that I'm unhappy as a FO, just curious how that works...

/threadjack.

He stated he was a recipient of a soft contact lens waiver. The program was done away with a couple years back, but I was fortunate enough to be approved before it went away.

Essentially as long as your vision hadn't changed over the course of six months or so, and you could see 20/20 with your contacts in, you were good to go.

Thats what I'm at Whiting. :D