• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Prepping for Primary

xmid

pilot
Contributor
It is better. What one IP's above average could be another IP's average. CTS makes it pretty clear whether a student made a "4" or not. 5 is a kind of a grey area from IP to IP. When I went through we had IP's that were still treating MIF as if it was average and below MIF or above was their above or below average. They didn't realize they were screwing the students they flew with. If MIF is a 2 (unable/unsafe) and the student meets CTS (+- X number or feet/altitude/heading) then they should be getting a 4 (meets CTS requirements), not a 3 for an "above". It definitely makes a 3/4 easy for the IPs. 5 is a "greatly exceeds CTS" which is open to interpretation, but if you are getting 4's when MIF is low you are going to do well.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
When I went through we had IP's that were still treating MIF as if it was average and below MIF or above was their above or below average. They didn't realize they were screwing the students they flew with.
This is by and large the number one factor affecting NSS in the jet VTs right now. If everyone makes MIF, your NSS bell curve turns into an NSS spike, with lots of outliers and very few "average" students. The difference between the #1 guy in my class (58 NSS) and the #10 guy in my class (33 NSS) was .02 points.

It will not change until people like me who've had MPTS their whole career become instructors.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
I can't speak for jet VT's, but I would say we probably have a larger variance in primary. CTS for basic airwork for example is +- 100 feet/10 knots/10 degrees of heading. Students with prior flight time and tons of profsits generally do a better job from day one with airwork and should get a 4 very early in fams. Those with no prior flight time and that don't come in early in the morning or late at night to do profsits could be well outside of CTS, to the point of getting a 2. By the time you have gotten to jet VTs you have already been vetted as an above average student that does those things to accel, so I can see the potential for the quality spread to be much smaller.

And the cultural grading climate is still evolving. I've flown with NFO transitions where I gave several 5's very early on in their training and was told "no one should get that many 5's on X event". If a fleet transition guy can't talk on the radio, have SA, etc. much better than some kid off the street then they have no business doing a transition. They earned those grades, whether it was the norm at that stage in training or not.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
Or, half our instructors are reservists who've done it a certain way for more years than I've been alive ;)

Either way, any time someone brings it up we all get reminded that no matter what, you're next ride has two grey tails...so be happy to pass.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Not another MPTS/NSS thread!!!!!!!!!!

It will not change until people like me who've had MPTS their whole career become instructors.

I'd argue it's more about people actually bothering to learn the system rather than bitching about it. There were plenty of IPs in Primary that had the old system as a stud and used MPTS correctly, but there has to be a will to change.

Fallonflyr

pilot
Back in the stone age (pre-internet),my buds and I had about 3 weeks off between AI and primary. We spent all that time on the beach followed by kissing the moose and then on to Seville Quarter to score some kills. I guess we didn't have our priorities straight.

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
I may be revealing which side of the coin I was in Primary, but what is a profsit?
You grab a study buddy and jump into a simulator that no one else is using. Not sure if that's just a VT-28 thing or if they do something similar in Milton. If they don't, they should.

AllYourBass

I'm okay with the events unfolding currently
pilot
You grab a study buddy and jump into a simulator that no one else is using. Not sure if that's just a VT-28 thing or if they do something similar in Milton. If they don't, they should.

Out of curiosity, what's the simulator situation like over in CC? If you camp the sim building here, you might be able to squeak in 10 or 20 minutes if an instructor gets out early before the next instructor, but it's pretty tricky getting sim time aside from the signup sheet. That, or hope somebody doesn't show up to one of their ambitious Friday-night signups :) Can you commonly hop into a sim with somebody over there?

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
Out of curiosity, what's the simulator situation like over in CC? If you camp the sim building here, you might be able to squeak in 10 or 20 minutes if an instructor gets out early before the next instructor, but it's pretty tricky getting sim time aside from the signup sheet. That, or hope somebody doesn't show up to one of their ambitious Friday-night signups :) Can you commonly hop into a sim with somebody over there?
Oh yeah, no sweat here. There's eight T-34 sims total, so unless you have a big RI class getting pushed through, there's usually at least one or two sims open at any given time. You can only sign up for one profsit a day, but you can grab one if it's free and no one else signed up for it, so some people do several profsits in a row, especially when prepping for RI's.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Not another MPTS/NSS thread!!!!!!!!!!
I'd argue it's more about people actually bothering to learn the system rather than bitching about it. There were plenty of IPs in Primary that had the old system as a stud and used MPTS correctly, but there has to be a will to change.

Paraphrased conversation from my T-45 instrument check a few years ago-

IP: "so overall great flight! I'm giving you an above on 4 things, and a below on 1. So that's a net 3 above, I'll sign that instrument paperwork and get it on the skipper's desk this afternoon."
Me: "Uh, sir... I'm not sure you understand the system. If you give me a 'below' then you'll have to fail me."
IP: "What?! You're a three above kind of guy."
ME: "Thanks sir but that's not how the grading system works around here."
IP:" Whatever, you're getting three aboves and I'm signing your instrument paperwork. Questions?"

Glad to hear we haven't advanced much in 4 years. :rolleyes:

Zilco

Here are some productive things you can work on every day:
1. EPs: These will become important starting yesterday. Learn them well and always review them. I go through my deck on my phone between sets at the gym.
2. Lims: This won't be too important until you're a couple blocks in, but it wouldn't hurt to make flashcards and have them ready.
3. Course rules: The sooner you understand course rules, the better. If you are at NAS Whiting, I made a somewhat interactive Google Maps guide to course rules. Whether you are at Corpus or Whiting, learn the course rules and fly them in Google Earth from the proper eye altitude. Being able to see the checkpoints as you'll see them from the plane will help you immensely. On that note, you may want to look up the YouTube user "IJTRL" and watch those T-6B training videos.
4. Checklists: Right now, you've probably got the "Hollywood Script" (if you don't have it yet, you'll get it soon or you can find it in the gouge Dropbox). When I was rolling through the intro sims, you were allowed to use the "Blue Brains" (smaller Hollywood script) for your first two or three sims. Aim to use it for none of your sims. Learn the script and practice it in the static cockpit trainer so that you can move through your checklist with the quadfold. While it might impress your sim instructors, it will more importantly prepare you for expeditiously moving through the quadfold checklist once you get to the plane.

Make sure you've got all your gouge together for ground school. It'll help tons with the exams. You can PM me for a Dropbox link if you don't have it already. I've also built Anki decks for Lims and EPs, so if you want those decks, I can send you the file. Anki is an amazing spaced-repetition flashcard program that will sync between your Apple/Android smartphone and your desktop version.

Also awwww yiss Banjo-Kazooie.
Hey man can I get that ANKI decks for lims and EPs?