• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Pre-Workouts and Supplements

IronDuke

Hello all,

I have searched around and any related threads do not seem to answer my questions. I report to API in September and am currently on OHARP. I am an avid gym goer and would like to get back into using a pre-workout supplements. Does anyone know of a good product that would not fail a drug test or have adverse effects on my health (blood pressure, etc.)? I also take protein shakes after workouts, which has never been an issue before, but just curious.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
Skip the supplements. That are not FDA regulated - you never know what you are gonna get. Don't risk your health (and thus being an aviator). Have your blood checked to see if you are deficient in any vitamins or minerals, get plenty of sleep, eat fresh and healthy, drink lots of water.

I like to powerlift and understand what its like to hit the gym hard - but my honest opinion is that you (and me and everybody else) is better off spending the money at Kroger's, not GNC.

IronDuke

It just feels like a sin not to take some protein right after a workout... but I suppose being an aviator is more important than regaining those 12 lbs I lost at OCS.

Beans

*1. Loins... GIRD
pilot
So have a cup of quinoa? Or grilled chicken? Or eggs? Or a steak (probably not the healthiest choice).

Although a simple protein powder probably won't hurt you much. When you get in to the stuff that's supposed to make you burn fat faster, etc, etc, that's when you start running in to big trouble. In between is a bunch of stuff that "makes your urine really expensive."

llnick2001

it’s just malfeasance for malfeasance’s sake
pilot
Protein is fine. Creatine should be as well, but last time I checked, you had to tell the flight doc and get it annotated in your record. Anything else is probably more trouble than it's worth from a rules standpoint (and likely prohibited).

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
Protein is fine. Creatine should be as well, but last time I checked, you had to tell the flight doc and get it annotated in your record. Anything else is probably more trouble than it's worth from a rules standpoint (and likely prohibited).

Excessive protein can be harmful to the kidneys, creatine possibly even more. If you decide to go that route, check with the doc, have your blood creatinine levels and glomerular filtration rates checked to establish a baseline and hydrate (not just with beer.)

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
I put this here to provide some accurate gouge. https://www.airwarriors.com/community/index.php?threads/new-nutritional-supplements-guide.40690/

It is my semi-humble opinion that protein obtained from natural sources is cheaper than that in powered form. An average guy working out can use about 1 -2 beef patties, or the equivalent per day. Anything above what the body uses is flushed through the kidneys or stored as fat.

There are several protein powders which claim that their stuff is utilized/absorbed by the body much quicker than, for example, a can of tuna. Maybe you can find a professional peer reviewed study which indicates yea or nay.

Creatine works fine. I know of no scientific study which indicates it causes harm.

revan1013

Death by Snoo Snoo
pilot
Excessive protein can be harmful to the kidneys, creatine possibly even more. If you decide to go that route, check with the doc, have your blood creatinine levels and glomerular filtration rates checked to establish a baseline and hydrate (not just with beer.)

The kidney issue has been debunked on several studies. It can exacerbate kidney problems in people who already have them, but won't create new problems on their own. The body will piss away whatever it doesn't absorb with regard to protein.

Creatine may make you gain some water weight, that's about it. Just don't take more than 5-10g per day, unless you are preloading (which is now considered generally unnecessary, but people do it anyway).

I recommend Optimum Nutrition or MusclePharm products. They are both highly rated in terms of quality and in terms of actually putting in the amount of protein they say they do. There was a Reddit study on various protein powders not too long ago that was pretty solid.

AllYourBass

I'm okay with the events unfolding currently
pilot
Say what?! I have to ask, was it peer reviewed?

Here is the thread revan1013 is referencing (I think). It contains a link to the spreadsheet comparing different leading protein brands. It also has a fairly bold disclaimer about the quality of the testing and the need for third parties to be doing this sort of work. That said, this thread is how I found Optimum Nutrition a couple years ago and I couldn't be happier!