• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

pre-training advice

goose 80

just wanted to see if anyone has any suggestions on books or information to study before arriving at pensacola nas for training. i have no flying experience going into training so any helpful advice would be appreciated. thanks.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
just wanted to see if anyone has any suggestions on books or information to study before arriving at pensacola nas for training. i have no flying experience going into training so any helpful advice would be appreciated. thanks.

Any book that details how to combine alcohol and local Pensacola attractions in a non-impregnating way would be a great place to start...

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Any book that details how to combine alcohol and local Pensacola attractions in a non-impregnating way would be a great place to start...

What he said. There is absolutely no need to prep for API.

Purdue

Chicks Dig Rotors...
pilot
Anything you study beforehand is wrong. If it is not EXACTLY the Navy numbers... you are wrong.

API is not about learning. API is about how well you can engage, digest, and regurgitate various types of information.

Spend every waking moment from now until your first day of classes like it's the last summer vacation you will ever get, because that is exactly what this is...

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
API is not about learning. API is about how well you can engage, digest, and regurgitate various types of information.

Wait... so retention isn't a goal of API?? That's what I did wrong when I went through. D'oh!

And as far as stuff to do pre-API, Purdue hit the head on the nail... I've got a good list of stuff to do pre-API floating around here.. I'll see if I can find it.

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
Aerodynamics for Naval Aviators. You can pick it up for about twenty-bucks on any number of internet book sellers. It was written a LONG time ago, fortunately lifties are still lifties and drag is still drag.

While I agree 100% that they (API staff) will give you all the info you need, it may not be a bad idea (if you have the time) to familiarize yourself with some basic terms and concepts.

my two cents.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Aerodynamics for Naval Aviators. You can pick it up for about twenty-bucks on any number of internet book sellers. It was written a LONG time ago, fortunately lifties are still lifties and drag is still drag.

While I agree 100% that they (API staff) will give you all the info you need, it may not be a bad idea (if you have the time) to familiarize yourself with some basic terms and concepts.

my two cents.

That book is FAR beyond the scope (not talking capability of a stud) of API.

S3b_viking

If you're uber motivated you can look at the API books online, but that's a waste of your time since you'll get them and be stuck in a pool down in Pensacola with plenty of time to browse. Don't worry about it, the instructors will gouge you up on what you need to know and what would be good to know.

Anybody else notice this is in the Advance Jets forum?