• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Pre-OCS Weekend?

rjmayer

My OSO said there will be an OCS prep for all of us that were accepted. He said we have to go up to Wisconsin for a weekend in April and have Instructors give us a taste of OCS. Anyone done this? Was it a really good prep?

Lights Out

its not too bad its designed to give you a brief picture of OCS...pickup, pft, some class room stuff, lrc type stuff,O-course, some intro to drill which was a catastrophe, and a 6 mile hump.

spinspilot

Florida Georgia Mini OCS

Is this Mini-OCS your talking about? My district is holding a mini OCS next weekend I believe. Basically, a 2day event to replicate OCS, DI's in your face, land nav, O course, PFT and other fun for the family activities. Anyone in Jax goin?

Gnar

Ha I am glad someone brought this up. Our OR is getting a bunch of us together for April 16-19th at Camp Pendleton. Anyone going to that one?? I think this a great a idea to get a taste of what is to come. Is a "hump" when you jog with full gear? (Sorry for the noob question).

GO_AV8_DevilDog

Round 2...
Contributor
Ha I am glad someone brought this up. Our OR is getting a bunch of us together for April 16-19th at Camp Pendleton. Anyone going to that one?? I think this a great a idea to get a taste of what is to come. Is a "hump" when you jog with full gear? (Sorry for the noob question).

jog/walkfast/ass chaffage

6 miles wont be that bad, it really depends on the surface it's on.

Reconjoe

Hump is like a long hike with full gear....the pace is usually slightly faster than a comfy walking pace.

MettGT

pilot
I believe the pace is ~3mi/hr...but in actuality, it's 3mi/50min with a 10min break each hour.

rjmayer

We're supposed to go to Iowa, don't know what camp. I'm in Indiana if that makes a difference, I'm wondering if it covers most of the midwest since we're going so far.

spinspilot

Im getting ready to go to mini-OCS tomorrow... hope is fun!!!

I hope I didnt make it sound like a weekend around the camp fire. I went to this once before and believe me, I didnt expect it. Everyone has having a good ol' time shootin the shit until we all gathered at this stage where a captain let the DI dogs loose.

MattWSU

pilot
Contributor
The Mini OCS I went to was a major shock. I was expecting us to discuss what OCS would be like, not get torn up by Sergeant Instructors for two days. It was an awesome learning experience though.

MettGT

pilot
We went a bit faster than that this last cycle. It was more like 12-13 minute miles...

I'm fairly certain the ~3mi/hr(50min) rate is per MCO (I'm too lazy to look up which one). At least that's how they're supposed to be. In reality, YMMV (some hours go quicker than others, if you catch my drift). Whether it be OCS or TBS, you'll noticed that your humps are scheduled on that 3mi/hr premise.

jpmatta16

So this weekend we had the mini-OCS in florida, it was very hard but at the same time very fun. Last friday I ran a PFT and had 15 pull ups, 90 crunches and a 27:38 minute run ( I know I suck in the run ), So coming to the mini-OCS I was not expecting to pass it simply because I didnt think I could. We were suppoust to run a PFT today, b ut they had some candidates run one on friday so of course I was one of them. I did 13 P/U 100 crunches and 25:32 run, so I improved on the run but dropped 2 P/U, and then on saturday we did a 3.5 mile hump , O-course, land NAV, Rifle class and Drill so I was very tired at the end of the day. today we did a PFT and I got 23:27 on the run 15 P/U and 110 crunches but only 100 count, but my point is I finally beat the run, not the best but I passed it after 2 days of hard work. This might not mean a lot to most of you, but to me it means a lot specially knowing I dropped 4 minutes in a week and 2 of those in 2 days. thank you to those who gave me input about how to improve my run.

PS: Mini-OCS was extreamly helpful for me, learned a lot and for me that have never been around military was a great experience. I loved the way everything was DI's, humps, land nav everything was a blast!!