• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

pre-OCS conditioning

hipfinnsy

Sensual Pepper
I would post this in the PRT forum, but literally no one posts in that thing:

I'm wondering what is the best routine to do in order to prepare for OCS. I run seven miles every other day so that's not the issue. I'm more concerned about push ups and those types of things. I can currently do around sixty standard pushups in a row, but will I be forced to do military style pushups at OCS? They aren't really that much different, but they are a lot more difficult for me since I haven't really been doing them. Should I be working on those? I guess maybe just doing a wide variety of pushups (standard/military/wide/elevated/dive bombs/etc) would be the best option? Should I also try swimming more (I've never really tried to swim breast stroke) and other kinds of body weight exercises? I've been weight lifting before a while but I tend to get injured every now and then so I'm thinking about giving it up for good and just focusing more on pushups/pull ups/etc

twobecrazy

RTB...
Contributor
I would post this in the PRT forum, but literally no one posts in that thing:

I'm wondering what is the best routine to do in order to prepare for OCS. I run seven miles every other day so that's not the issue. I'm more concerned about push ups and those types of things. I can currently do around sixty standard pushups in a row, but will I be forced to do military style pushups at OCS? They aren't really that much different, but they are a lot more difficult for me since I haven't really been doing them. Should I be working on those? I guess maybe just doing a wide variety of pushups (standard/military/wide/elevated/dive bombs/etc) would be the best option? Should I also try swimming more (I've never really tried to swim breast stroke) and other kinds of body weight exercises? I've been weight lifting before a while but I tend to get injured every now and then so I'm thinking about giving it up for good and just focusing more on pushups/pull ups/etc

I offered you some advice in your previous thread concerning your motivational statement. You may want to heed that advice. I will be happy to state it again for you here. SEARCH THE FORUM then ask your question if you can't find the answer. This has been talked about many times.

A

AlexSmart

There are lots of videos/pics floating around the internet of beatings/workouts. Looks like lots of up-downs, in-outs, etc. Some gouge that was passed on from my OR was to not concentrate on just one aspect of fitness (just weights or just distance running).

c172pic

As long as you can pass the stupidly low PFT standards you have to do in OCS (and 2x/year in the fleet) you are fine.

Let me put it this way for you: I went through OCS 2 summers ago and LOST 46lbs! over 4 inches off my waist and went from a 13:15 1.5mile run to a 10:15 run.

YOU WILL GET BEATEN EVERY DAY- but Sunday-. YOU WILL SWEAT. YOU WILL LOOSE WEIGHT. IF you are worried about getting conditioned, don't worry. THE D.I'S will take care of you there. It seems like from your current condition of 7miles is ok. I would work on doing maybe 3-4x/week of 1.5 mile runs. Why? because come OCs, you will do 3x/week "carrier runs" which are broken into groups based off speed, and are about 2.5miles long and is a great run. I miss it!

When I was there, a typical workout for a day was this:

M/W/F: carrier run.
Breakfast
classes till Lunch,
BEATING
afternoon sesions
BEATINGS
BEATINGS
drill
BEATING
dinner
evening uniform preps, hyigene etc..
BED time

TRS: instead of running we did strength building.

An average day had about 5-6 beatings, each 10 minutes long. Throw in some inevitable "demerits" (LOL) and you can have 2-3 more/day.

If you feel you can handle this, then continue what you are doing.

I would STRONGLY suggest to anyone going in, DO NOT force yourself "into shape" prior to getting there, you will injure yourself, and go into H for who knows how long and just delay the suck of OCS.

If you have any more specific questions. PLEASE let me know.

pensfan341

The workout I am settling into looks like this.

MWF: 3 mile run, then a circuit:
50 push ups, 70 crunches, 5 pull ups, 12 dips
25 push ups, 60 crunches, 4 pull ups, 10 dips
20 push ups, 50 crunches, 3 pull ups, 8 dips
my goal is to increase my numbers on each leg of the circuit.

Does anyone have any critiques or criticisms that could be helpful?

GreenLantern330

I have a question about pushups. I can currently do about 20.. My chest and arms aren't tired at the end though, I know I can do more than 20, but my lower back starts hurting. I'm guessing my body isn't completely straight and that my back might be dipping lower to the ground.. Any ideas on how to help this? I know it sounds like a stupid question but for some reason I just can't get back into good form...

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
I have a question about pushups. I can currently do about 20.. My chest and arms aren't tired at the end though, I know I can do more than 20, but my lower back starts hurting. I'm guessing my body isn't completely straight and that my back might be dipping lower to the ground.. Any ideas on how to help this? I know it sounds like a stupid question but for some reason I just can't get back into good form...

It sounds like you're core might be weak or under-conditioned. Perhaps try incorporating more abs/core/back work or squats.

jtmedli

pilot
The workout I am settling into looks like this.

MWF: 3 mile run, then a circuit:
50 push ups, 70 crunches, 5 pull ups, 12 dips
25 push ups, 60 crunches, 4 pull ups, 10 dips
20 push ups, 50 crunches, 3 pull ups, 8 dips
my goal is to increase my numbers on each leg of the circuit.

Does anyone have any critiques or criticisms that could be helpful?

Dont just practice for numbers. Practice the pushups slowly (UP...DOWN...UP....DOWN...etc..). That's how they're done during beatings and it will inevitably make your numbers go up in the long run.

craftingraptor

Dreaming about the P-8A
pilot
form/pain question
Allamerican seemed to answer your question from the pain aspect. It's still possible to hurt yourself doing pushups with improper form even if you have a strong core though. I would recommend going to a gym where you have a mirror, align yourself parallel to the mirror and watch your form for all of 20 pushups. Done right, with a count of 1..2..1 (1 sec @ top, 2 @ bottom --without touching/laying down--, and 1 @ top again) they are not easy. If you do that, it should be obvious where your form is lacking.

GreenLantern330

Allamerican seemed to answer your question from the pain aspect. It's still possible to hurt yourself doing pushups with improper form even if you have a strong core though. I would recommend going to a gym where you have a mirror, align yourself parallel to the mirror and watch your form for all of 20 pushups. Done right, with a count of 1..2..1 (1 sec @ top, 2 @ bottom --without touching/laying down--, and 1 @ top again) they are not easy. If you do that, it should be obvious where your form is lacking.

Thanks for the help with the form aspect of my issue! I'll give it a try.

Moc1Sig

pilot
Contributor
Dont just practice for numbers. Practice the pushups slowly (UP...DOWN...UP....DOWN...etc..). That's how they're done during beatings and it will inevitably make your numbers go up in the long run.

True, but.... more like practice screaming UP AYE SIR/MAAM, DOWN AYE SIR/MAAM, or to the count of one, two, three, zero one, one, two, three, zero two...ect.

Also if you want to really get a feel, set your watch for ten mins, and do squats to the (1,2,3,zero one count) till you pretty much colapse, or in push up position in/outs with your feet, or 8 count body builders. I still do this if i want to work out but dont have an hour to waste.

Also, practice doing these workouts in the blazing heat in a sand box while some sadistic arse sprays a hose into your face. Then roll about/army crawl through the mud. Then put leaves and sand in your pockets and empty it out in your room. Go back for more pocket fulls. Now toss over your mattress onto the floor. Ok, now clean your room in 10 minutes.

jtmedli

pilot
True, but.... more like practice screaming UP AYE SIR/MAAM, DOWN AYE SIR/MAAM, or to the count of one, two, three, zero one, one, two, three, zero two...ect.

Also if you want to really get a feel, set your watch for ten mins, and do squats to the (1,2,3,zero one count) till you pretty much colapse, or in push up position in/outs with your feet, or 8 count body builders. I still do this if i want to work out but dont have an hour to waste.

I love workouts like that. Crossfit's Cindy is always a great one to crush yourself with when you don't have much time.