• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Pre-Deployment Brief

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You guys are easily distracted....Look something shiny.

-ea6bflyr ;)

Scoob

If you gotta problem, yo, I'll be part of it.
pilot
Contributor
I found that when you do finally get a chance to call home - especially through a DSN line - if the connection is bad, just hang up and try again. Trying to talk through a bad connection is annoying, pisses you off, and can make a long awaited phone call home turn ugly REAL FAST. It always made things turn out much better, and only took a few seconds, to dial again. It's a simple tip; but pre-loading wives with that info (to remind their Sailor when he forgets) might just help keep things a little smoother.

HeloBubba

SH-2F AW
Contributor
1. Mail-I had heard that it was pretty much impossible to get mail to the det, and I wanted to confirm since I would send boxes weekly to the carrier

What was the answer to this question? In my day, mail got to the small boy fairly regularly (courtesy of the local HC squadron) even small packages. I'd like to think that hasn't changed much over the years. Sometimes we went and picked it up ourselves at the carrier.

2. Emails-the whole squadron/airwing was changing emails while the det was out and I was just curious if they would have a specific det email or use the new airwing email

Funny how something we take for granted now (E-Mail), would have been viewed as a luxury on the boat 20 years ago.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
What was the answer to this question? In my day, mail got to the small boy fairly regularly (courtesy of the local HC squadron) even small packages. I'd like to think that hasn't changed much over the years. Sometimes we went and picked it up ourselves at the carrier.

It really depends on how you deploy. When you have a big deck nearby, things get to the small boys quicker. When you're doing independent ops, you're reliant on a) actually pulling into the port that you thought you were going to pull into, and b) the embassy for getting the mail to you, which may not happen because part a) didn't occur.

When we were on schedule, it regularly took 3-4 weeks for mail to catch up w/ us. When we changed the plan, often times only half our mail would make it and the older stuff would take another 2 weeks to get to us (at the next fuel stop).

helo_wifey

The ship my husband is on is not around the carrier, and they won't be going near the carrier. I sent a card the week he left to test out mail, and it has yet to arrive after a month. They've pulled into port but didn't get a chance to have mail delivered there.

The "official" answer I got was: "We don't know". So like Gatordev said, it's all whether you're near the carrier or not. The past 2 small boy detachments have stayed near the carrier, and could get mail so it's hit or miss this time.

villanelle

Nihongo dame desu
Contributor
I should have been more specific. I was able to get packages to him, but sometimes it took forever. As I recall, when they weren't with the carrier, it took somewhere in the neighborhood of 6 weeks for some things to arrive, which sucked for him because it meant that all the breaking news Playboy articles were already out dated.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
...it took somewhere in the neighborhood of 6 weeks for some things to arrive, which sucked for him because it meant that all the breaking news Playboy articles were already out dated.

A mild inconvenience, but for us, we were missing far more important things like episodes of Season 2 of 24 (complete w/ mountain lion).

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
46 has some good/thorough info on their website that could be tailored to your det. Click on family support

http://www.hsl46.navy.mil/

44's det guides are a good template for basic info

http://www.hsl44.navy.mil/hsl-44_1024_dialogue_005.htm

Some great info on the HSL sites for families. The COD's deploy in much the same manner, yet we haven't gotten it together like that yet. I will be stealing alot from these sites.

I found that when you do finally get a chance to call home - especially through a DSN line - if the connection is bad, just hang up and try again. Trying to talk through a bad connection is annoying, pisses you off, and can make a long awaited phone call home turn ugly REAL FAST. It always made things turn out much better, and only took a few seconds, to dial again. It's a simple tip; but pre-loading wives with that info (to remind their Sailor when he forgets) might just help keep things a little smoother.

A great tip...

Make sure both your troops and their spouses know - What happens on deployment, stays on deployment. Same for those at home. Don't go passing gossip and dirt back and forth. It only makes it harder for everyone and normally is full of half-truths and heresy anyway.

Then sometime after the briefing, take your det aside and reinforce this with a 50 lbs. sludge hammer.

Like HeloWifey said, a very, very good tip. I have seen the bad happen many times. I was on duty in Fallon and the admin was in Tahoe, My wife knew more about what went on at the admin than I did, and knew it by 2am! I also had a buddy on cruise whose wife went nordo for 2 weeks with him due to her hearing bad (false) gossip. If you are gonna talk, NEVER talk about what other people choose to do, just what you do. Don't be the gossip...

This deployment will be interesting. Shorter than average, no war zone, COD's on the CVN-not ashore, and a bunch of other comm's challenges due to the AOR.

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
So basically, my HSL knowledges will be useful in COD Hoov? :D

Actually, yes. You will be better off than a transition guy from another community because you've been in a det deployment before. 6 Pilots and a MO is it and you still have to get it all done... Just another reason you need to go COD's.

MasterBates

I need to get the hell back in the jet and get the hell out of Krock first.

I feel like my ball flying abilities, as bad as they are are getting worse each week I am not flying.