• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Pre-API (ROM, Wait Time, Report Date, Etc April 2021

Doc Engel

Good morning,

Myself and a few others are soon to be graduates up here at OCS and headed down to Pensacola. We've attempted to reach out to others already down there regarding the check-in process, wait time, and ROM to no avail. Was curious if there is anyone who recently checked in or knows another who might be willing to answer some questions for us as there are no sponsorship phone numbers or emails indicated in our orders.

TyKing

pilot
Good morning,

Myself and a few others are soon to be graduates up here at OCS and headed down to Pensacola. We've attempted to reach out to others already down there regarding the check-in process, wait time, and ROM to no avail. Was curious if there is anyone who recently checked in or knows another who might be willing to answer some questions for us as there are no sponsorship phone numbers or emails indicated in our orders.
I'm an SNA down here at Pensacola, I check in last November. Shoot me your questions.

Here's a quick run down, you will check in over the phone and through email using your personal email. Once you check in through phone and email,on the first day you arrive in Pensacola, your 14-day ROM will start. On your first day after ROM, you will physically check into Naval Aviation school command at flight management in service dress uniform probably in summer whites. Wait time to class up varies, I checked-in in November and my projected class up date for NIFE is May, so its about a 6 month wait for SNAs. While waiting to class up, you will complete another flight physical at NAMI, as well as redo your anthros. Then you will have a flight suit fitting and complete the swim survival course. Somewhere in-between that you will also attend a class for Naval Aviation history and Naval Aviation ethics. This is all subject to change so YMMV.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Recommend talking w/ someone in STUCON for the latest info. ROM requirements for vaccinated people in some places are going away.

Sjohnny15

I work in flight management, you are still required to do 14 ROM regardless if you have been vaccinated. Feel free to PM if you have any additional questions. I do a big chunk of the check in process, I class up end of May, checked in at beginning of December.

Tgonzo29

Has anybody seen if they are assigning people who are +30 in age sooner class dates? is that really an issue at this point once graduating OCS?

Skywalker

Student Naval Aviator
Has anybody seen if they are assigning people who are +30 in age sooner class dates? is that really an issue at this point once graduating OCS?

Seems to be first come, first serve. But despair not - they brought the class sizes back up to 50 from COVID-era 35 and they’re blowing through people pretty quickly. My projected class-up date jumped several months to the left on the calendar.

Skywalker

Student Naval Aviator
What is the purpose & scope for these two classes? Just curious . . . . .
Purpose? To understand why things are the way the are. Scope? Not nearly enough in my opinion. But I’ll readily spout off book recommendations.

jointhelocalizer

pilot
The history class was pretty interesting in my opinion. It gives context to the significance of the job of being a Naval Aviator/Flight Officer and it shows how large of a role Naval Aviation has played in the past. It also gives some basic history of the job that should be expected (like Ellyson being the first Naval Aviator, 1911 was when Naval Aviation started, the Langley was the first Carrier, etc.). It's kinda like knowing John Paul Jones is the Father of the Navy and the Navy's birthday is October 13. I also learned that there is a Naval Aviator's Creed.

Ethics, I agree, can use some work. I feel it misses the mark. The Trolley Problem serves the role in teaching people that different people bring different values and approaches to the same situation. However, the wasn't any real education on real-world integrity check situations (take gundecking for example) or how NAs/NFOs will inevitably be put in situations where their ethics are tested (like is this target a legitimate target), etc.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
However, the wasn't any real education on real-world integrity check situations (take gundecking for example) or how NAs/NFOs will inevitably be put in situations where their ethics are tested (like is this target a legitimate target), etc.

Or the sheer amount of cheating that happens in Naval Aviation. That's not a complaint...quite the opposite. To me, it seems like the community does a reasonably good job at "sharing the gouge" for the silly stuff, but holding people accountable for the more important stuff when it comes to personal responsibility.