• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

PPV Housing in Kingsville

Status
Not open for further replies.

brd2881

Bon Scott Lives
pilot
My wife and I are moving to Kingsville in a few weeks and have grabbed a spot in Hawks Landing, the PPV housing down there. Is this a good deal? Is it nice, better than normal base housing or is it a dump? We haven't seen anything but floor plans and don't have enough time to go there and check it out before hand. I know there is another PPV housing complex called Hunter's Cove, and I was wondering if anyone had any info or gouge on these places. Thanks for the help.

petescheu

Hunter's cove is newer, and therefore nicer. Both places are pretty small... even the three bedroom in Hawk's is small, probably enough room for 2 people max, although being married you'll have a couple extra rooms. There is a new housing development being built just outside the main gate, highly suggest you look into this before you go signing a lease with hunters or hawks..

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Hunter's is a little nicer than Hawks as Shoo said. But....a big but.... Hawks is a lot cheaper. Hunters adjusts your rent based on your pay grade and your marital status (ie. make more money, pay more rent) Hawks does not. I live in Hawks, and while it's not club med, it fills the bill for student living for a while. A lot of students live in both complexes, so you'll always know at least someone nearby. If Shoo is talking about the new neighborhood theyre building beside hawks (cant think of anything else going up), I'm pretty sure thats all new houses for sale, so unless you're thinking of buying a house while you're down here, I'm not sure how much of an option that is for you. The thing that Hawks and Hunters have going for them is the convience. It's a pain to go searching for a rental house and impossible to find a non-ghetto complex in Krock outside of the two Govt ones. I looked briefly and said the hell with it and got in at hawks.

hope that helps

brd2881

Bon Scott Lives
pilot
Thanks for the info, we got a three bedroom townhouse type thing in Hawks and from what you guys have said we will probably stick with it. I would consider buying a house, but I just don't feel like dealing with all that mess and we don't have a ton of time. I currently live in a two bedroom apt in P'cola with about 1000 square feet of space and we are cramped, especially considering we have a 6 month old. So Hawks seems like the freakin Ritz to us and our move into it should be smooth because it opens up the day we get there. My wife is excited because, as you said, there are lots of others that are going through the same thing. Are the places carpeted? Are the kitchens decent? Whats the deal with the utilities, will that and rent fall under BAH? Thanks again.

Punk

Sky Pig Wrangler
pilot
The places are carpeted. Mine was newly carpeted right before I moved in. The kitchens are not small, but their not big either. It's about the same size kitchen I had in my single room apt in P'cola. Since you're married, Hawks will adjust the rent so that your BAH will cover rent and the basic utilities (water/sewer, electricity). The drinking water is pretty bad so I suggest you setup water delivery from Culligan.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
hawks is a little more singles heavy, while hunters has a bit more of the family atmosphere. but, if i ahd to do it over again, i might choose hunters b/c it's nicer and has a bigger kitchen....but it's also a lot more $$

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
that depends....if you're an O2, Hawks is below your BAH...for O-1s, just a shade above (O-1 bah on the rock is $531 iirc... O-2 is 7something)...rent is $725 for a 3-2

but a 2-1 might be cheaper...just call the base housing office and talk to the woman there...she knows all about it. I just live there and actually earn the BAH, so of course I have the least idea of what it is ;)

petescheu

def get a roomie if you can though. 3 bedroom in hawks by yourself will break your bank, i know that from experience...

lockerboy

shoo didn't you go to Moody? How'd you find the transistion back to the Navy? I'm coming from Vance and we get shafted up here on instruments. The Air Force screws us up so much I guess we get 5 extra flights in the Tweet with Navy IPs to try to unscrew us. Form's a lot sweeter up here though.

petescheu

yeah I'm Moody kid. transition is no problem, although hold on to your 11-217 if you can, it's an easier reference for instrument stuff (instead of looking through FAR/AIM, 3710, etc etc), and as far as i know the only thing that changes is hold procdrs, which isn't hard so long as you havent been using the 70/210 method. you def have a lot more free time on your hands, so you can screw your training away a lot easier if you aren't disciplined about studying, but it's really not that big a dea. i didnt see any of the instrument shafting at moody like you are talking about, we got excellent I training in MY. I know that all kids in a/f training get more inst and form flights, which is a good deal.

brd2881

Bon Scott Lives
pilot
We are trying to set up our utilities down in Kingsville for Hawks Landing and we have noticed that there are a ton of electric companies to choose from. Any ideas on which one is the most economical? Which ones do you guys use? Also, about how much should you expect to pay for a water bill each month? Thanks alot.

petescheu

Water is like 20 dollars, not bad... get ready to get slammed with energy though, that'll easily be over 100 bucks; I know some people that pay up to 200 a month, especially when it's hot out. Not sure which company is the best, I know a lot of people have TXU though.

smittyrunr

pilot
Contributor
Do NOT use CPL- in fact they'll warn you against them when you check in eventually. TXU is fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.