• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

PPL or OCS this summer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EA-6B1

PLC Jrs 1st Inc. Kilo-3
Alright, here's my situation. I took an introductory ride back in the fall with my local flight school and I loved it. A bit pricy, but I'll be able to take care of that. I'm a sophmore in college, and I would like to know what I should do for this summer. I have two options.
1. I keep training and working towards my PFT and send in an application early (don't know when the board dates are) and hopefully get accepted to next summer's (summer '04) PLC-Combined or Jrs. In the mean time, since I'll have this coming summer off, I can get my PPL and be that much farther ahead when I go to flight school.
OR
2. I can apply for this summer's PLC jrs, and hopefully get accepted and get my PPL some other time.

I've heard different stories of mixed feelings about PLC-jrs and srs versus PLC-combined or OCC. I see a lot of PLC-Combined/OCC people post about how nice it is to not have to go back for srs. But then again if you go the PLC route, you're only there 6 weeks at a time which means that you are less likely to have injury as opposed to 10 weeks.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks and Semper FI

Maverick:"Mustang this is Ghostrider requesting flyby."
Air Boss: "Negative Ghostrider the pattern is full."

EA-6B1

PLC Jrs 1st Inc. Kilo-3
Thanks jabravo2003 for your reply. Anyone else out there have anything to add? I need some advice. Thanks.

Semper FI

farkle84

i did PLC combined 10 weeks. i thought it was a lot better that way, just to get it over and done with. plus you have a year to figure out if you want to go military or if it is right for you. but i guess it is up to the individual. if you have any more questions, let me know. PPL is fun and good experience

kimphil

Hey, if you have a legit shot at doing PLC juniors this year, I'd suggest you take it. If you don't get accepted, or you have to drop out because of injury, you can always apply for PLC combined next year. If the economy continues to perform poorly, PLC combined and OCC will just be more competitive next year. Also, aviation is all the rage this year. There are a lot of people in TBS now who are student naval aviators and student naval flight officers. The Marines may not have the same demand for aviators next year, making it that much harder to win an air contract.

P.S. - There's a PLC air, once you've completed your PLC training, the Marines will pay for flight lessons at a civilian flight school (up to 25 hours).

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mongol General: ...Conan, what is best in life?
Conan: To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women!
Mongol General: That is good.

EA-6B1

PLC Jrs 1st Inc. Kilo-3
Thanks guys for your replies.

P.S. - There's a PLC air, once you've completed your PLC training, the Marines will pay for flight lessons at a civilian flight school (up to 25 hours).

Kimphil, so if I go and get through PLC-jrs this summer and I'm an Air Contract, the Marines will pay for up to 25 hours on my PPL? Sh-wing! That's awesome.
bouncy_125.gif

I cant say enough about this website. Thanks everyone. Semper Fi

Semper FI

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
Originally posted by jabravo2003
Boards meet every month now according to my OSO Capt. Espinosa.

That was who commissioned me. He was my OSO when he was still at El Paso. Did he refer you to this site?

Originally posted by Kimphil

It used to be called the "FIP" (flight indoctrination program), I've heard it called something else now. I took advantage of it and now have 25 hours in a Cessna 172. BTW, I was PLC-air. Once you have completed Sr's, you can start your lessons.

Good luck Gentlemen, SEMPER FI

2nd Lt Bailey

EA-6B1

PLC Jrs 1st Inc. Kilo-3
-E5B-
For the Marines to pay for it, you cant start taking your lessons until you pass seniors? I thought once you got through with Juniors it would be cool, but I guess not. That kind of turns the table on some things. That means that I'll have to take lessons while I'm in school too. My intention was to get my PPL in the summer, but I guess I'll figure something out.

Semper FI

Status
Not open for further replies.