• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

PPL or Masters Degree?

PPL or Masters Degree?

• Total voters

Webb79Z28

I have been researching every topic imaginable on Air Warriors for the past year or so, but this is the first time that I have posted a question. I want to say thank you to all of the people that are so active on here because it has really been a big help to me so far.

I am 25 years old, and I am working towards becoming a Naval Aviator. I was originally working towards becoming a Marine Aviator, but when the pipeline shutdown I switched gears. I have a B.A. in Criminal Justice, and after this summer I will have a second B.A. in Diversity Studies. The main reason that I went back to get this degree was to raise my GPA (2.71). My anticipated GPA after graduation this summer is somewhere around a 3.0. I know that this is not great, but I am hoping that it will get me accepted.

I took the ASTB and scored a 7/7/6 (58). I was told that this was a good score for selection, but I was wondering if you guys thought that I should take it again.

I have several really good LOR's, and I have plently of extracurricular activites. I played Rugby in College, and I have held a full time job at the same employer for the last 9 years.

My main question involves what to do next. I was a non-select for Aviation last November, and I am reapplying with my higher GPA for the September boards. In the meantime I would like to continue to make my application more competitive in case I am a non select again. I have researched getting a Masters Degree from American Military University (around $10,800)or possibly getting my PPL. My dad is an instructor pilot so that would save some money towards the PPL, and I would love to fly instead of go back to school. Botttom line though, I want to make myself as competitive as possible. Do you guys recommend me getting my PPL or pursuing my Masters Degree?

mark11

Dude I feel you, I have a crap gpa mostly because I have never been interested in anything but military aviation but never knew it was an option due to a history of asthma. Long story short I found out my situation is waverable long after my gpa has been flushed down the toilet. In response to your question, from what I have heard ppl and flight time aren't huge. Although, you and I both are getting old ( I'm 25 too ) and with the delayed class dates lately grad school may not be in the cards. So the ppl may be really the only option for package boosting.

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
I would offer this advice. If you don't get selected, what will help you better in life, a Masters or a PPL?
My thought would be a Masters Degree.
The Navy desires officers to have a Masters Degree post O-4 so you'll have that check in the block.
Just my two cents.

eas7888

Looking forward to some P-8 action
pilot
Contributor
I would offer this advice. If you don't get selected, what will help you better in life, a Masters or a PPL?
My thought would be a Masters Degree.
The Navy desires officers to have a Masters Degree post O-4 so you'll have that check in the block.
Just my two cents.

Age may also be a consideration, as he is currently 25. If he's non-prior, the age cutoff for commission is by his 27th birthday. I don't know if he'll be able to squeeze in the Masters before then or not. If so, more power to you. If nothing else, you could get a semester or two down before applying, or apply while you're attending grad school. A good GPA there might go a long way toward offsetting your lower undergrad GPA.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
Do both. If your dad is a pilot, fly in your off time. Make the Master's your primary focus, but you can't study all the time, you know? Good luck.

BigJeffray

Sans Remorse
pilot
I would say just going to grad school would help bolster your application as well, even if you don't finish it before you're selected. I also agree with helohumpy, what do you think will be more valuable to you down the road regardless of the Navy? If you want to fly as a hobby and want to do it for the rest of your life regardless of career, the ppl might not be a bad choice, but as far as helping your future career, the Masters seems like an easy choice to me.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
A cautionary note on the Masters: Only do it if you're really interested in the subject matter. Graduate courses are far different than undergraduate in terms of depth and workload. If you think getting a Masters is a good idea because you have idle time, you might want to think again. 11Gs is a big chunk of change to sink into a Masters...especially if you're not sure what to do with it (people pursuing a masters have a direction they want to go in, this is another difference between a MS and BS as a lot of undergraduates pursue a degree then try to figure out what to do with it later).

FlyinRock

You can blow a flight physical or lose it with an accident and never fly again. The education is more important and will allow you to eventually have the discretionary income to do all the flying you want.
Get the degree/s while you are able.
Semper Fi
Rocky

Ektar

Brewing Pilot
pilot
Definitely go for the master's degree. It will look better on your application and if for some reason the Navy doesn't work out for you, a Master's Degree will help you find a job elsewhere by making you more competive.

KTString

Not trying to be a buzz kill, but will the September board even exist? I thought July is the last board this year.

Get the master's degree. As you get older it will be harder and harder to get that master's, however, it will always be easy to get a PPL.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
I was thinking it was some major in multiculturalism. If it's really a general studies or liberal arts major, those names were better.