• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

PPL now or later?

Should I get my PPL while I wait for my OCS class up date in the fall instead of IFS?

• Total voters

sundevil_av8r

pilot
If you have already been selected and have a class up date why waste the money? A PPL is not much more training than you will get in IFS so why not let the Navy pay for it?

eas7888

Looking forward to some P-8 action
pilot
Contributor
Should I get my PPL while I wait for my OCS class up date in the fall?

I'll second what's already been posted here. You'll be able to take the exams to get your certificate after you've completed your military training. It's MUCH cheaper that way.

Kycntryboy

pilot
I agree with not getting your ppl at this point, but if you want to go fly go do it. It will either reaffirm or change your mind on aviation if you haven't flown to this point.

jtmedli

pilot
PPL? No....some flight time? Yes. If the money is there then you should go get a few hours of flight time and enjoy the experience. Like it was said ealier, It will either make your mind up or change it.

Archanan7

Automatic doors make me feel like a Jedi
Do you have your PPL? IFS is two weeks of online study and 12.5 hours of flight time avg. The avg time to get your PPL a couple years ago is 60-90 flight hours. Getting your PPL with the added Instructor and Flight time would be very benificial if you have the time and money IMHO. With competition here in A-Pool getting rougher by the day I'd take whatever edge I could get for API and Primary.

Ducky

Formerly SNA2007
pilot
Contributor
A PPL alone will not be much help over IFS. If you have time to get a PPL with an instrument rating that would give you a significant edge assuming you approach the Navy way of doing things with a humble attitude and open mind. Otherwise after winging a 100 bucks and a 20 min test will get you private, instrument, and commercial

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
If you're thinking about it because you really want to get in the air, go for it. If you're thinking about it because you think it'll help you in Primary/Advanced, save your money.

BuckWild

Advanced - VT-35
Consensus says no. I was only going to do it to get some hours in while I wait for my class up. The idea wasn't there to change my mind one way or another on selecting an aviation slot. It was just to get some familiarity in a cockpit. Thanks for the info all!

Junkball

"I believe in ammunition"
pilot
Despite my vote, I'm not sure I'd like to get my introduction to flight training through IFS, either. It seems to basically just suck and several students I've talked to say it's filled with BS and getting worse. It's another hurdle in the road - if you're up to the standards I suppose though you haven't got anything to worry about besides it being a pain in the rear.

Ducky

Formerly SNA2007
pilot
Contributor
Just go get some hours for fun. You will get the intro you desire and still get to do IFS.

...several students I've talked to say it's filled with BS and getting worse.

Its what you make it, and how free flight hours is BS on a Studs end beats the hell out of me. I'm sure its changed since I went through, but if you talk to someone who put in a descent effort their opinion is probably something other than suck.

Makk85

604KTS
pilot
Get enough time to complete your solo before you come down to IFS if you have a little time and money to burn. IFS is another easy way for the navy to cut people right now on top of all the other rising bars, so having the pressure to do well in IFS reduced would be well worth the money at this point. I see plenty of people down here sweating the pressure wishing they had spent a little cash to get some prior flight time. You probably already spent a small fortune to get a degree that is supposed to help you out, why not spend a little more to help get some confidence in the air while you have the means?

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Get enough time to complete your solo before you come down to IFS if you have a little time and money to burn. IFS is another easy way for the navy to cut people right now on top of all the other rising bars, so having the pressure to do well in IFS reduced would be well worth the money at this point. I see plenty of people down here sweating the pressure wishing they had spent a little cash to get some prior flight time. You probably already spent a small fortune to get a degree that is supposed to help you out, why not spend a little more to help get some confidence in the air while you have the means?

Sorry bro, I'm gonna have to disagree with you. IFS is difficult, sure, but it's not an insurmountable challenge. Just go, work hard for a few weeks, and pass. If you're really struggling in IFS, sorry, that's not a good sign.