• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

PPL After Primary

raddie

Howdy all,

Just wrapped up primary and logged 70 hours in the mighty T6. I was curious if anyone had any guidance on how to go about getting a PPL now? I have some time before advanced and would enjoy getting that cert. I have been looking online at the general requirements but I’m not sure how time in primary waives some of the requirements or how the FAA views primary training.

Any help or tips are appreciated! I searched the forums here and couldn’t find a specific thread relating to this topic.

HSMPBR

Not a misfit toy
pilot
It’s more convenient to do it all in one shot after winging once you have your instrument rating and possibly helicopter or multi additions. Unless you absolutely just need to not say “solo” if you decide to fly GA planes on weekends.

I recommend searching AW and the Information Superhighway™️ for the term “mil comp.”

Test is easy with a little gouge study. I brought all of the paperwork I possessed, but that day’s FAA overlord just looked at my logbook.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Howdy all,

Just wrapped up primary and logged 70 hours in the mighty T6. I was curious if anyone had any guidance on how to go about getting a PPL now? I have some time before advanced and would enjoy getting that cert. I have been looking online at the general requirements but I’m not sure how time in primary waives some of the requirements or how the FAA views primary training.

Any help or tips are appreciated! I searched the forums here and couldn’t find a specific thread relating to this topic.
I believe guidance to DPE and FSDOs is the primary Mil Comp eligibility is designation of pilot/wings and the rating eligibility is Commercial and Instrument for the category and class (s) the individual is trained on in the appropriate syllabus. The completion of the MilComp knowledge exam is a pre req.

I do not believe there is a mil comp pathway towards Private Pilot for any category or class.

What you could do is keep a separate Logbook under the requirements of Part 61 and log the necessary experience, a d of course take the private pilot knowledge exam and take a practical test with an Examiner - but why would you?

The ideal path would be to get your Private Pilot under Part 61 as a 17-19 year old and pro-advance through NIFE, eliminating the jeopardy there. That's what the AF kids do.

Last edited:

FLGUY

“Technique only”
pilot
Contributor
Howdy all,

Don’t waste your time getting a PPL when you can get a Commercial and Instrument when you finish advanced. A Commercial encompasses Private pilot privileges too, and you can’t MILCOMP your way into a private, only a Commercial, so you’d be paying out of pocket and dealing with a civilian examiner for an FAA checkride. Avoid that.

Regardless of what you selected, your primary time -should- allow you to get an airplane Single engine and Instrument airplane.

If you go multi, then you’ll likely get an multi engine Commercial added on, and rotary guys get the rotary Commercial and instrument I believe.

BLUF: wait until finishing advanced.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot

Fins Out

Sheppard Air is the gouge and WELL worth the money.

I remember the "are you sure you're done" look from the proctor when I walked out of the testing room after around an hour (at the time 3 hours were allotted) on two separate occasions for my ATP and MILCOMP instructor. Scored mid 90's on both and NASA isn't exactly beating down the door to recruit me, if you get my drift.

Roger_Waveoff

pilot
Another +1 for Sheppard Air. That official gouge made the test straight-up easy mode.

Unless you're trying to fly on the side between phases, a Private cert is entirely unnecessary in my opinion. You wouldn't rate an Airplane Instrument rating since I4490 is not a true instrument check with in-flight emergencies and a couple other things.

And contrary to the belief of some, a PPL does not actually buy you anything in terms of being able to log PIC time (the FAR 61.51 flavor, not 1.1) in Intermediate/Advanced. (You can do that based on FPT time following your first safe-for-solo regardless).