• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Powell Resigns

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slammer2

SNFO Advanced, VT-86 T-39G/N
Contributor
Secretary of State Powell Resigns

Looks like Powell announced his awaited resignation earlier today. A few other people resigned too but nobody big. I wonder if this will have any effects on the situations in the Middle East and Korea. Powell was also playing a large role in the talks with N. Korea. N.K.'s latest statement from this weekend was that they are willing to try the multi-party talks again. I guess we'll see how it all turns out.

DCLegal

Rhino Pilot Wife
From the Washington Post: "Administration officials said this afternoon that Powell's likely replacement would be national security adviser Condoleezza Rice, one of Bush's closest confidants."

This is the only replacement I have heard about since the speculation of Powell's departure began.

Cate

Pretty much invincible
Newsweek mentioned Condi Rice as a possible Secretary of Defense. Does anyone know why (why, God, why) she might get tagged?

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
FYI, this was not a sudden thing, Powell had said about a year ago that he had only planned on serving for 1 term.

El Cid

You're daisy if you do.
Powell in '08? Any takers?

As far as a restructure goes if Rice goes up who will be NSA is the truely interesting question.

NSA = Top Aid - Congressional Approval

Put that in your pipe and smoke it.

Red2

E-2 NFO. WTI. DH.
None
Cate said:
Newsweek mentioned Condi Rice as a possible Secretary of Defense. Does anyone know why (why, God, why) she might get tagged?

She's already in the loop. Everything that Powell knows, she knows, probably even more. There would be no learning curve for Rice. It is not unprecented. NSA Dr. Henry Kissinger went on to become Secretary of State under Nixon.

This was not a big surprise. When Powell became Sec. of State in 2000 he said it would only be for one term. As for Powell running for president in 2008, I HIGHLY doubt it. The Republicans wanted him to run in 1996 and 2000 and he refused. IMO he could have won in both occasions. It's been said he doesn't like the political BS surrounding a campaign, and I don't blame him. Look for McCain or Juliani in 2008.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Red2 said:
As for Powell running for president in 2008, I HIGHLY doubt it. The Republicans wanted him to run in 1996 and 2000 and he refused. IMO he could have won in both occasions. It's been said he doesn't like the political BS surrounding a campaign, and I don't blame him. Look for McCain or Juliani in 2008.

Powell promised his wife he would never run for president b/c she didn't want him dragged through the mud. And McCain, well, he has essentially said that he won't run again (thanks to scum like Karl Rove who went out of their way to discredit him and spin lies about him)... besides, he's far to moderate for the current state of the Republican party - they would never nominate him.

akamifeldman

Interplanetary Ambassador
Darnit squeeze, you read my mind! (my thoughts exactly).

Heard that Rice's deputy, Steven Hadley may take the NSA position.

Red2 said:
She's already in the loop. Everything that Powell knows, she knows, probably even more. There would be no learning curve for Rice. It is not unprecented. NSA Dr. Henry Kissinger went on to become Secretary of State under Nixon.

This was not a big surprise. When Powell became Sec. of State in 2000 he said it would only be for one term. As for Powell running for president in 2008, I HIGHLY doubt it. The Republicans wanted him to run in 1996 and 2000 and he refused. IMO he could have won in both occasions. It's been said he doesn't like the political BS surrounding a campaign, and I don't blame him. Look for McCain or Juliani in 2008.

I think I'd like Giuliani as prez...

Cate

Pretty much invincible
Red2 said:

Yes, of course, for State, I understand. But the rumors I was talking about discussed Condoleeza Rice for Secretary of Defense. Has anyone else heard similar whispers, and if so, can they be explained?

Lonestar155

is good to go
Isnt that kind of shady to resign at a time like this. He fights to get the soldiers over there and then leaves during the whole re-building process? But who am i to know the facts.

VetteMuscle427

is out to lunch.
None
I get more of the feeling that he was being a loyal servant... not that he pushed anything in iraq directly. His speach to the UN was him acting in the capacity of his post, not pushing or fighting for anything. My opinion....

Status
Not open for further replies.