• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Post OCS, Pre-API stash jobs

JD81

FUBIJAR
pilot
From what I can find it seems most folks go back to the NRD's in their home towns for a stash, is this the usual? I'm a SNFO select reporting on 23 sep and just trying to get an idea if I want to to drive to p'cola. I live in seattle and would hate to drive down there, then drive back for 3 or 4 or however many months and have to drive all the way back. Any input is appreciated.

R/
Josh

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
You'll need to check into API and complete all of the pre-API stuff before you can ask for TAD orders. Also, most TAD orders they give are for a moth at a time.

You'll be waiting for a long while to start API.

Cheers,
Bubba

hourocket

Bullseye
None
Yep, they pre-API stuff can take about 2 weeks min. Then you have to get your NRD to write a letter to API, then they have to write up orders, and then you get to go, and it is usually only for a month. But who knows by Sep, NFOs may not have a wait, things change here every week.

VAmookie

is the same true for PTAD orders on the green side? Only a month? Takes a couple weeks to get pre-API completed?

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
hourocket said:
Sep, NFOs may not have a wait, things change here every week.

I doubt that. Its a 6-7 month wait right now, and all of the Academy and ROTC NFO selectees will start getting down here in about 8-10 weeks.

JD81

FUBIJAR
pilot
TheBubba said:
You'll need to check into API and complete all of the pre-API stuff before you can ask for TAD orders. Also, most TAD orders they give are for a moth at a time.

You'll be waiting for a long while to start API.

Cheers,
Bubba

Thanks Bubba. Is it best to bank on staying in p'cola for the wait between OCS and API? I won't have to do IFS, but what other items will I need to complete prior to API? Thanks again for the info...

r/
Josh

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
Since you're an OCS guy, you won't have to get your flight physical. You'll have to get your helmet fit, PRT, BOLTC and that's pretty much it. After you get that stuff done, you can request TAD orders. But yes, even with TAD orders, you'll be in P-cola for most of the wait.

My advice: get a part time job.

Fezz CB

"Spanish"
None
Hey josh. I was in your exact situation last Sept (except I did NROTC). I would definitely inquiry about OHARP so you can go back to your hometown. Yes you'll work everyday but youll be closer to home w/o having to burn leave. Thats what I did and I spent 2 months away from P'cola. It sucks that they dont really advertise this great deal. Other wise I would have left right after IFS (i finished in Dec) but I ended but going TAD in Feb. Anyways, if you have any questions about going TAD, just holler at me. Ill give you details and the request form in MS Word.

Hint: TAD goes for 30 days. But I called at about 20 days to see if I was classing up. If not, they extended another 30 days. So you could pretty much stay in your hometown until you class up. Good deal. I left about a month b4 I classed up just for safety and take care of personal stuff.

KimberlyD

Something to think ab, the orders back to your hometown to do NRD are usually no-cost orders meaning you move on your own dime. Keep that in mind if this is something you're looking to do.

JD81

FUBIJAR
pilot
KimberlyD said:
Something to think ab, the orders back to your hometown to do NRD are usually no-cost orders meaning you move on your own dime. Keep that in mind if this is something you're looking to do.

Well I was originally planning on packing my car full of what I needed for OCS and moving other stuff later on. But if I'm going to have that long of a wait I would much rather go down for OCS and spend a little while there after, then come back for OHARP and move everything down at once when I class up, which is what I'd really like to do. Is getting to do that program a pretty sure thing?

Thanks for everyone's help, I really appreciate it.

r/
Josh

Fezz CB

"Spanish"
None
If the wait is anything like it was last year, then I'll bet my left nut that anyone who request OHARP will get it (especially the FOs). Yea, its no-cost TEMMAD meaning you pay for your own travel and lodge, etc. I would suggest asking about oharp to flight mgmt after youve completed all the pre-api junk. You should be good after that.

JD81

FUBIJAR
pilot
Excellent, thanks for the tips Fezz. I'm trying to stay as max-flex as possible but I'd like to get an idea of the whats and wheres after OCS.

Thanks Again everyone...

r/
Josh

Mr Mojo Risin'

Fezz: Awesome info, just one question: What did you do about your living situation when you did OHARP? Were you in the Q or did you have a place in town?

Fezz CB

"Spanish"
None
Hey Mojo,

Yea, finding lodging is your responsibility. I stayed with my gf. On top of that, I still have family in San Diego so this made the lodging issue not that big of a deal.

Hope this helps.

BTW, I was still paying rent & utils. for my P'cola place. You still get P'cola BAH. Bummer dude.

BTW, I was still paying rent & utils. for my P'cola place. You still get P'cola BAH. Bummer dude.

Ok, old thread but I had a question about OHARP. I know you have to pay to move yourself back to your hometown, but do you still receieve BAH? It sounds like you receieve BAH for Pensacola and not your OHARP location. Correct? Thanks!