• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Post Mishap Physical Exams

Pilot123

pilot
Without going into too many details here, does anyone has experience with a post-mishap physical exam with the flight doc? Is it just a standard annual physical? Witch hunt? Comments? Advice (other than be honest, of course)?
Thanks.

They go through the works including drawing blood for testing (even if it's 3 days after the fact and they originally forgot to draw blood).

Xrays and the like aren't required, but will take place if you have any pain just to be safe.

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
No witch hunt, just an extensive medical exam & blood/urine workup to make sure that there isn't anything that may have contributed/caused a mishap. Not that they don't believe you, but the best way to remove a doubt is through this process.

Also, if your annual flight physical is approaching they can use the data from the mishap physical (which is kind of nice).

It shouldn't feel like a witch hunt...just another day at the doctor's office.

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
Gotta agree with Hoover Pilot. Not a witchhunt, they do it to everyone listed as crew.

I dunno about being able to use mishap physical results on your annual. Doesn't sound right.

Gotta agree with Hoover Pilot. Not a witchhunt, they do it to everyone listed as crew.

I dunno about being able to use mishap physical results on your annual. Doesn't sound right.
If it's in your birth month you sure can. I didn't have to do the audiogram/visual/ekg again.

CMS_189

Combat Air Crew
I've never done a mishap physical... but I can tell you this, it's all about the form number. If it's the same form number ie. 2807 & 2808 then it works, as long as it's within the time range required. Usually the extra testing, blood and urine, are just added to the main physical... the "meat and potatos" so to say. The Navy typically only has a few different phyical paperwork, all based either around sutibility/oversea physicals and flight physicals.

If you get down to specifics, I could probably answer a little better.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
If you get down to specifics, I could probably answer a little better.

Being that its a mishap physical, my guess is that he probably can't get into more details than "I had a mishap in XXX type of aircraft"

I had a -2 have a mishap and that's all I could say about it. "We incompleted b/c -2 had a mishap"

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I have personally seen the medical results from a mishap physical used for an admin separation. Details: a young Aircrewman caused class B/C damage to a C-2A during unloading and his urine was positive for Cocaine.....he was summarily discharged.

-ea6bflyr ;)

S.O.B.

pilot
Depends on the class of mishap. I believe it's CO discretion for anything B and below. I had a class C and the only thing I had to complete was the 72 history. A safety O or someone dedicated enough to look this stuff up could give you a more definitive answer.

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
I've been through the process twice. Once as part of a class A I was involved in and once again because I was on the platform during a landing mishap (should change my name to Blackcloud?).

The physical is very in depth, as has been mentioned. You can not use the physical as regular flight physical for purpose of obtaining an up chit. If you were directly involved in a B or A, you are probably "med down" anyway, if nothing more than in an admin sense.

It may be in your interest to find out if you have any type of doctor-patient privelege (sp?). You will be under the blanket of privelege (sp?) WRT the AMB, but not the associated JAG Man or potential FNAEB.

PM me if you have any further questions.

MasterBates

I was in what we thought would be a class B that was later downgraded, and I can't recall blood or urine samples or a full blown physical. Just a 72 hour history.

NavAir42

I'm not dead yet....
pilot
I've only been through one. The physical alone wasn't so bad. They take several vials of blood and you get to make the requisite donation of urine. It seemed like everything else went pretty painlessly, I guess we had priority or something.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Of course I had one after my mishap and you could look at like a long-form physical. Everyone was cool, no problems at all. I did see quite a few docs, all were called in...Opthamologist, flight doc, heart doc, etc. Probably protocal. In the end though, all was good :)