• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Post Military Career Careers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Texan

Why enemy pilots dont sleep well
OK, being the long term planner that I am, I'm curious what Navy and Marine Corps officers do when they finish their 'tour of duty.'

I can plan out my career as it would stand if I were to stay on my current path, and well, that's why I'm looking at the Marines and Navy. I can think of a few things That would be interesting to do after a military career, but I'd like to hear what others tend to do.

Also, for those of you (or those you know) that didnt make a career of the military (only their required time) what did they tend to do afterwards?

TIA,
Texan

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
I know a lot of people who went to work for the government after their military time was over. Many of them in Federal Law enforcement and Intelligence fields.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
TGIFriday's

"Can I interest you in some pizza shooters? Extreme Fajitas?"

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Texan said:
......what Navy and Marine Corps officers do when they finish their 'tour of duty.'..... what did they tend to do afterwards?
Texan

747-300land.gif
Some tend towards this .....

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I plan on being a Gentleman Farmer. Im not going to grow anything just get some land a nice house a good wine cellar a better liqour cabinet some cigars a wife 20 years my junior and a couple of dogs.
My broker (me) thinks I can make this happen if I retire at 20. We'll see.
Maybe go fly for life flight and balance out my Karma.

Fezz CB

"Spanish"
None
Does anyone know the chances of getting into the CIA or FBI as a post-Navy career? I hear its easy because of the security clearance and military background thing, but any thoughts would be great.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
ocstwentyone said:
Isn't going from fighter to 747 kind of like going from Ferrari to double-decker tour bus?
Sure, it's painful. Very painful ... hoo-boy, "Fighter" to B747 -- a bummer, yes --- but how painful is it ???
:) How about a story problem as an illustration:

1. Figure how long -- as in how many years total -- can you fly tactical aircraft for UNCLE ... ??? 10? 12? 14?

2. Then go look up what a Navy Admiral @ 26 years makes for base pay .....

3. Then multiply that amount by 1.5 .....

4. The resultant answer is about (+/- a couple of bucks) what a Whale Captain makes ... and he/she still gets to fly until age 60 !!! For the frosting on the cake, I flew Attack/Fighter in the Nav for 18 of my 20 years -- just to make a point.

Of course, you will never get "rich" working for the man ... but there are fringe benefits. Now -- Can you feel my pain ..... ???? :)

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Wish that flying the whale didn't involve flying RJs for poverty wages for years before getting picked up.

Law enforcement and CIA are great jobs for ex-military, but generally only if you leave before 20. Federal law enforcement positions all require that you join before age 37. Operational positions in the CIA have an age cap of 35, though cooks,bakers, candlestick makers and so forth aren't capped at that age.

KBayDog

I'm looking forward to being Major Dad when my stint in this rod and gun club are up.

In a nutshell, I'd do nothing.

"I'd relax, I would sit on my a$$ all day, I would do nothing."

KBayDog

eddiemac0 said:
Where's the money gonna come from... marrying rich like I plan to?

I am married to the most wonderful woman in the world, which makes me the richest man alive.

(Just in case she's reading this...)

Actually, I was planning on getting a group of friends together, finding an ORV with bullet holes, an old map, and going through some tunnels until we find an old pirate ship loaded with "rich stuff."

ocstwentyone

ENS, SC, USN
A4sForever said:
Sure, it's painful. Very painful ... hoo-boy, "Fighter" to B747 -- a bummer, yes --- but how painful is it ???
:) How about a story problem as an illustration:

1. Figure how long -- as in how many years total -- can you fly tactical aircraft for UNCLE ... ??? 10? 12? 14?

2. Then go look up what a Navy Admiral @ 26 years makes for base pay .....

3. Then multiply that amount by 1.5 .....

4. The resultant answer is about (+/- a couple of bucks) what a Whale Captain makes ... and he/she still gets to fly until age 60 !!! For the frosting on the cake, I flew Attack/Fighter in the Nav for 18 of my 20 years -- just to make a point.

Of course, you will never get "rich" working for the man ... but there are fringe benefits. Now -- Can you feel my pain ..... ???? :)

Ha! Indeed...

danthaman

The right to keep and bear arms
I know a retired tomcat driver (and top gun grad) who flies MD-11's for FedEX. He now makes somewhere in the ballpark of 150-175k per year, works half or less of every month and has great job security, (unlike airline pilots). He told me that FedEx's most senior captain that retired last year was earning a little less than 300k/year.

IMO, not a bad way to follow up a career of flying military fighters.

Status
Not open for further replies.