• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Post Graduate Program

Status
Not open for further replies.

rhightower

I am wanting to know about the Master's Degree Program in the Navy. Does the time you spend at school count towards your initial commitment, or is in addition to. For example, if I go in as an NFO, and then after my first deployment get assigen to go to school, is my commitment still 7 years, or is it 7 years plus the 3 spent at school? Thanks.

NuSnake

it goes up because you owe them for your school time.....the recruiter who brought me in is goin through gradf school right now and he is gonna owe them 2 extra years onto his initial commitment

If a frog had wings he wouldnt bump his ass all the time

schmuckatelli

Any extra time typically runs concurrently with existing obligations so if you time it right you won't owe anything over your initial 7 or 8 years post-winging. If you get your masters on your own time without any financial help from the Navy (e.g., you don't use tuition assistance or go to NPS) you won't incur further obligations.

Flynator

You will incur further obligation...typically it is two years for the first year of school and year for year after that...so in your case it would be 11 years total obligation, of which two would be spent in grad school. However, you are getting full pay/benefits while going to school, PLUS they will pay tuition...pretty good deal if you can get it. Obviously, if you do it on your own time without any Navy assistance then you won't have any extra obligation.

jaerose

I think I'm going to try and go that route. I'm probably going to try and get an MBA with my GI Bill, then go for the science related Masters through the Naval Postgraduate School. I'll probably do the MBA online through U. of Phoenix, or something like that. I think it's worth the extra time instead of going into debt I'll be able to get paid and get tuition (if accepted), which is basically a swing of $150-200K (from being in debt to making salary plus tuition). I totally think it's a great deal.

JR

jaerose

I would imagine so. If BDCP counts, then I would be hard pressed to think that Grad. School would not, but someone who knows for sure will enlighten us.

JR

Corky

If you are going SNA or SNFO you won't have any extra time. If any instructors catch wind of the fact that you are pursuing an MBA consider yourself toast. They will fry you. Doesn't get any easier once you get to your squadron, either. Unless you are an IQ genius, you mine as well write off getting a post-graduate degree until you complete your first squadron tour. Sorry if this sounds so harsh but that's life as a Naval Officer.

D_mac05

Foxtrot Driver
pilot
I thought that was a given.... Your first sea tour lasts 3-4 years, right? Then, on your shore tour, that is where you have a couple of options (Post-Grad as one of them). Correct me if I am wrong. As of right now, I think this was the route I was planning on taking...but thanks for the heads up on the extra time. I didn't put any thought onto that topic.

D

jaerose

I think I could handle the MBA from an online institution. Plus, that's not the only Masters I want. I also want a Math, or Science related Masters. Right now I'm leaning towards Aero. Eng. I want the MBA because I do plan on starting a business...someday. Plus, it will help me secure funding for real estate projects. After I incorporate, it will definitely give more weight to the title of CEO.

JR

jpfarsider

Does anyone know if a masters degree would help your SNA application package? I got one in computer science, but its not what I want to do!

JP

jaerose

Probably, more education that they didn't have to pay for. Plus, all of the planes are pretty much fly-by-wire anyway, so your degree could prove helpful.

JR

Corky

Jaerose: Even an online degree might be asking too much during flight school. If you aren't flying, you are either prepping for your next flight, practicing in the simulators, or studying emergency procedures and the plane's technical manual. There is some time on the weekends but not enough, in my opinion, to get a graduate degree, online or not. I am out of the Navy now, work full-time, and go to graduate school part-time and that is enough to drive me crazy. And my real job isn't half as time consuming or stressfull as flight school.
Also, they will tell you this on the first day: you are there to get your wings and nothing else. You're not there to work a part-time job or get a grad degree. The Navy is paying you for one thing and one thing only - to get your wings. Those are their words, not mine. They are so tyrannical about it that students getting married only get one day of leave for the wedding. It's serious business.
If you can fit it in during your squadron tour than go for it. It will be tough because you will probably do two, six month deployments. And, you will be away from home doing workups at the boat and doing training in places like Fallon, NV and Key West, FL. After your first tour it is easy to get one. Plus, there are plenty of options aside from Navy Post Graduate School that they will help fund.
jpfarsider: A graduate degree in comp sci is a definite plus because they know you can handle the book work. As for being in the plane, that is a different story. I've seen guys like you excel and others fail hard. I've also seen absolute idiots who barely got through school with a pysch degree get Hornets and Tomcats. Unfortunately, college degrees aren't the best predictor for success in aviation.
Feel free to ask me anything. Like I said, I am ex-Navy, have a BS in mathematics, and am getting my masters in applied mathematics/statistics. If I can be of further assistance, just say so.
Good luck!

klray77

Well, opportunities for gtting your master's degree are pretty ubundant in the Navy. It's no secret that the Navy has put a lot more emphasis on their officers having a master's degree before getting senior officer billets. I'm not saying it's absolutley required but I'm sure it's getting close. Anyways, I lucked out. The Navy is sending me to Dayton, OH for a year to get my master's in Aero Eng. I'll then report to Pensacola for flight school. There are a few LT's and a marine Capt. up there right now who are getting their master's in conjunction with Test Pilot School. I don't believe that the graduate school will incur any further time obligation on me. I applied and was accepted for the 5-year NROTC scholarship due to the course load of the engineering degree. Basically that changed my obligation from 4 years to 5 years but because I am an SNA, my obligation is far beyond that anyway (8 years after winging)so it doesn't make a difference. Hopefully after my first squadron tour I can get a billet that will allow me to get my joint service ticket punched since I'll already have my masters. I'll stop ranting for now.

Later, Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.