• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Post Graduate Eduation - the real gouge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
This is a great topic. Actually, I'm surprised that I haven't seen any questions of this sort before. I locked the previous topic because it was getting off the beaten path to the original question.

First, post-grad education for the Navy is becoming a huge topic of discussion. Specifically, the SWO leadership/community is really making it a priority for us to get our master's, preferably before our Department Head (DH) tour. It is extremely important that the Navy has well educated leaders and managers at a level above and beyond that found in the normal undergraduate curriculum. Post grad education will increase your level of and ability to think independently, refine your communication skills, and even time management skills. The end result to all this is that it makes you a better warfighter and decision maker.

I'd like to address a couple recurring questions and comments. First, you can do anything you set your mind to. Obtaining a post grad education during flight school is doable (especially with distance learning these days), but I certainly wouldn't advise it. Not because you won't have time. You will. Flight school isn't law school, and no matter what anyone wants you to beleive, your head is not stuck into the book or reciting flash cards 24/7. I'd say you will probably have enough down time throughout your training to take one class at a time. But in my opinion, your down time should be used for just that...down time. BBQ's, movies, going out to dinner, hanging out with friends at the cigar bar....whatever. If down time is not a priority for you, go for it...shoot for the stars. And this doesn't account for if your instructors DO find out about your "extracurricular" activities. I have to agree that if they found out, you'd become their "pet project." Second, there is a distinction between Navy funded eduation and personally funded education. This is completely independent of whether you participate in an education program during your off-duty time.

Take tuition assistance for example. Tuition assistance will now pay 100% of your tuition (up to a certain amount - details irrelevant at this point - link provided below for those interested). If you use tuition assistance just once for a course, you must "[a]gree, if an officer, to remain on active duty for at least two years upon completion of courses funded by TA. This obligation runs concurrently with remaining obligated service time. Those who fail to serve the obligation must repay the TA funds expended on their behalf during the last two years of active duty on a pro rated basis."

Other Navy funded post grad education programs have specific obligations associated with them. They typically run concurrent with your current obligation.

One exception to this is a program I'm actually participating in. Naval Postgraduate School (NPS) offers through its distance learning program a post grad certificate in Information Systems and Operations. Courses for this are: Space Systems Technology and Applications; Information Operations; Database Fundamentals and Decision Support Systems; and Information System Networks. Because this is all paid for by my command (at a tune of about $6800), and not the "Navy", I incur no service obligation. During deployment, taking one class at time, standing watch every day, running a 120 person division, and taking care of collateral duties, this kept me plenty busy.

If you decide to participate in education funded by COMNAVHOMEPAC/LANT or even your GI Bill, then you incur zero obligation.

One thing you must understand and remember throughout your decision making process is...."If you commit to the Navy, the Navy will commit to you." Sounds crazy, but true.

These links below should provide plenty of information on post grad education or lead you to places where you'll be able to find what you're looking for.

http://www.bupers.navy.mil/pers41/412/shore/grad/main.htm
http://www.persnet.navy.mil/pers440/index.html
http://www.persnet.navy.mil/pers440/pers440b/pers440b.htm
https://www.navycollege.navy.mil/ta1.html
http://navprodev.bupers.navy.mil/nss/

klray77

Thanks for the excellent info Steve. For those that were also interested in checking out the Air Force Institute of Technology, the website is www.afit.edu. AFIT has taken on all aeronautical and avionics engineering degrees for both the Navy and Air Force while NPS has taken all meteorology and oceanography degrees for both services.

jaerose

Okay, after checking the site...I guess my real question is how do I find out if I could go straight into this after OCS? Do I talk to my recruiter...the education programs rep at our office, or anyone else?

JR

klray77

Well, I thought you would figure out what I meant. I called it afit.edu in an earlier message. I'm just going to go ahead and tell you straight. I don't think it's possible to go there straight after OCS. The program I am under is called AE-IGEP. The IGEP stands for Immediate Graduate Education Program and it was open only to NROTC and Naval Academy midshipmen who met the eligibility criteria. There are other Naval officers up there but they have just finished their first squadron tours and most are going on to Test Pilot School. My sponser for instance has almost 7 years active time. As far as talking to someone, I would guess you should speak with the education programs rep. A recruiter has to know a lot more information and probably wouldn't be able to give you many specifics on graduate education programs available.

D_mac05, I believe the move was very recently. Even as recent as this year. NPS took over the meteorology program for both services and AFIT took the Aeronautical and Avionics engineering programs.

illinijoe05

Nachos
pilot
Current Programs

Hey this is old and Im wondering if there are any new programs specifically for Physics majors with commissions form the NROTC. Also does anyone know if I took some grad level courses while stashed at my unit if I would get any tuition help from the navy.

VarmintShooter

Bottom of the barrel
pilot
Ask around about tuition assitance ... shouldn't be a problem while stashed.

The training wings won't authorize tuition assistance while you are in flight training (or so I am told).

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
Anyone hear anymore word on Naval Postgraduate School in Monterrey CA moving? My girlfriend's dad graduated from there with an AE degree back after the Persian Gulf War and before he was a Test Pilot (I think), and I know he's getting pissed off hearing that they might move the school. Anyways, great post and thanks for the info, it's really interesting, especially about NPS no longer having an AE degree available now.

Status
Not open for further replies.