• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Post Application Injury

brianl93

Looking for some potential guidance and help with a unique situation. I recently applied for the NOV 28 IP Board, and just prior to application I tore my ACL and meniscus sky diving, for work.
I was advised by the CCC team to go ahead and submit still as at the time of my medical screening I was FFD.
I am looking to more than likely get the surgery which will land me at about 6-8 months min before I am back up and running again, litteraly.

My question is, say I am picked up this fall or in the near future. If I disclose after being selected that I am getting surgery due to a Navy related injury will they roll me into a later class within the same FY? Or would there be a possibility to roll into the next FY? I am not sure how this works and I am running out of time as I have just hit 8 years TIS yesterday Nov 14 2022.

Looking for some help for anyone that has an idea or suggestion.

-IT1(IW/SW/AW/EXW/FPJ)

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
By the book CNRC policy is that you're supposed to tell your recruiter or CNRC (if Fleet/AD applicant) of any change of status. With that said, you'll just have to wait and see presuming you're even PROREC'd.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
As a guy that was in Delayed Entry Program, I tore my deltoid ligament in my right ankle about 1 month prior to boot camp. The Navy medically discharged me, and I had to wait 6 months AFTER my surgery to re-apply. When I did re-apply, the Navy (MEPS) wanted every shred of documentation from my surgery so be prepared.

As @FormerRecruitingGuru said, keep your recruiter in the loop about your status. Best to be honest up front, vice afterwards.

brianl93

So I'm currently active and I'm at 8 years. I'm more concerned about the fact that I have my package in, and now I need surgery. My CCC team is tracking, and has advised me to wait and see what happens. Essentially hurry up and wait. I know I need to be FFD prior to going to OCS, which I dully intend on doing everything in my power to stay on track.

I just wasn't sure if anyone had seen an instance where someone got Injured while waiting on results, and possibly pushed thier plan to the right because of it

exNavyOffRec

You or your command should tell NRC now as you are supposed to notify them of any change of status immediately, otherwise it could look like you are hiding something which obviously there is no hiding this.

It is very possible if selected you will lose that spot, the timeline I saw with this is 6 months after surgery you will have a follow up and then be cleared, so the wait is 6 months plus the wait to get surgery.

brianl93

ive heard both sides to this situation, and some people say that NRC will work with you and allow you to push till the last date in the FY, or sometimes roll into the next FY based off certain circumstances. I am just in the middle area, as I do not want to early DQ myself, but I also do not want to hide anything.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
I don’t have your knees, but I suffered a similar accident a while back (ACL and Meniscus) in both knees and had to have surgery. My recovery time (cripple to passing the PFT) was a lot faster than six to eight months and I was over 50 years old when it happened. Get fixed, be earnest in your rehab, and I imagine you’ll get your slot when you are healthier.

exNavyOffRec

@brianl93 you know you will be DQ, the thing is until you know when the surgery is and then they go in you won't know the entire situation. At this point it they might not be able to pull you from the board, but NRC will see you being up front with them, you want them on your side.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
ive heard both sides to this situation, and some people say that NRC will work with you and allow you to push till the last date in the FY, or sometimes roll into the next FY based off certain circumstances. I am just in the middle area, as I do not want to early DQ myself, but I also do not want to hide anything.

I can imagine CNRC working with you if you were injured during the PROREC process. And in the end, CNRC might or might not care, however I always advise applicants to err on the side of caution.

Someone at CNRC may be more detailed / questioning attitude and put the puzzle pieces together. They may have the data/facts and ask why you lied/withheld your medical history.

Also... I believe Fleet/AD applicants sign the OCS committment to success form ACK to inform CNRC/your recruiter (whichever is applicable) during any sort of change in physical/medical or legal status. The injury definitely falls under that category.

brianl93

I gotcha. I havent been informed or Reqd to provide any additional information. So I guess it is a waiting game for the time being. Thanks all.

RhodesReese

A buddy of mine I just graduated with got into a severe car accident right after he applied. A month or so passes and the detailer calls him to tell him he was selected for OCS. With everything that happened he forgot he applied ( it was a very bad accident and lucky he survived). They pushed his class date back and gave him enough time to heal, which he pushed through and wa ms able to make our class Sep 24 start and made it through without being rolled.

Point is, don’t hide an injury. Be upfront about it. Most of the time they will work with you. Also better to be safe now than get to OCS and roll to H for 3 months for that injury. ( I’ve seen it happen)