• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Post 9/11 GI Bill Benefits and BDCP

docwaring

Pro Rec'd BDCP/SNA
Is there anybody out there who is currently in BDCP and using their Chapter 33 - Post 9/11 GI Bill benefits at the same time?
I am prior service, so I have the new GIB, but the last thing that I heard was that if you are on Active Duty and try to use the GIB, you will only get your tuition covered, no housing or books. Anybody know? Tied into that question would be a question of if you can get Tuition Assistance from the Navy, but I think the answer to that is no (saw another thread on that subject).
Anybody out there know from experience?
Thanks!

VetteMuscle427

is out to lunch.
None
Do you really need it? If you can save it, it'll pay more in the future when you can give it to someone else...

docwaring

Pro Rec'd BDCP/SNA
Do you really need it?

Vette, I understand that it is good to pass on the benies to family. However, I have a 4 y/o little boy and in a month and a half will have a 2nd little boy. So yeah... All the posts about drinking beer and chasing women? I will be drinking a beer and chasing 2 little boys around. If I got the benefits along with tuition, it would make life during school a lot easier, plus any extra cash that accumulated in my accounts would find it's way to paying off debt. Or having fun. Which ever came first.:icon_smil

WiscoMarine

Livin' the dream...
if you are on Active Duty and try to use the GIB, you will only get your tuition covered, no housing or books. Anybody know?
Thanks!

Sorry dude:

"Individuals who are pursuing training while on active duty, solely via distance learning, or are training at half-time or less are NOT eligible to receive the monthly housing allowance."

-http://www.gibill.va.gov/GI_Bill_Info/CH33/Benefit_Comparison_Chart.htm#911amount

The VA has a good website though that explains FAQ's, here's the link:
http://www.gibill.va.gov/GI_Bill_Info/CH33/Post-911.htm

In their defense, the Post 9-11 GI Bill is a pretty sweet deal. Good luck with everything.

coredukes

None
For what its worth, Im BDCP and I kept the MGIB instead of switching over to the post 9/11. I'm in the same situation as you are (wife and kids) and I need that extra money to look after the family. I've had no problem receiving my $1321 every month to pay for tuition. Obviously there are some benefits to switching over but what I've been told by the VA is I can switch anytime. I plan on using this money to pay for tuition until I grad. then swtiching over to the post 9/11. I guess it depends on your situation but its worth looking in to keeping the MGIB and using that until you finish BDCP since you can't reap those benefits now anyways. Not to mention some of the guys I have talked that have tried to use the new program back are still waiting on money.

docwaring

Pro Rec'd BDCP/SNA
I guess it depends on your situation but its worth looking in to keeping the MGIB and using that until you finish BDCP since you can't reap those benefits now anyways. Not to mention some of the guys I have talked that have tried to use the new program back are still waiting on money.

Dukes, thanks for the input.
As far as waiting on the money, yeah, I am too. I actually just talked to my congressman's rep about that situation.
My situation dictates that if I use a GI Bill, it be the Chp. 33. I didn't actually get the Chp 30 benefits due to the original contract I signed with the Navy; National Call to Service. So... Yeah.

Is there ANYBODY OUT THERE that has BDCP and is using the Post 9/11 GI Bill?

Thanks.