• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

OCS Possible hiccups between pro-rec Y and finsel?

lelouche

My current situation is that I have a Pro-rec Y for SNFO from the December board, and I assume I'm in the finsel purgatory right now. My biggest question right now is whether or not I could end up not getting a finsel since I am planning to quit my job next week.

I am a naturalized citizen, and one of my parents is a foreign national, so perhaps getting cleared for security may delay my finsel (which I wouldn't mind too much), and I don't have any criminal record or other black marks that would disqualify me (which I don't want). I have been wanting to quit my job for a long time now due to having a tense and stressful relationship with my direct supervisor, and I don't know if I can wait another month or 2 for my finsel letter to come through before quitting. It would really be terrible if I found out after quitting my job that there was an issue somewhere and I won't end up going to OSC.

Could someone chime in regarding this likelihood and maybe help calm me?

speedroller

Rangers
Both of my parents are foreign nationals, if that makes you feel better. I just recently finished my application, so I can't comment on the security clearance just yet.

lelouche

Don't quit your job unless you already have another one lined up. You have a lottery ticket in your pocket…but the drawing isn't for a while yet.
I figured it would be something like that, but if I can get the finsel some time within the next 6 months, I would be OK with that. I just wouldn't want to completely be out of the lottery drawing.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
My current situation is that I have a Pro-rec Y for SNFO from the December board, and I assume I'm in the finsel purgatory right now. My biggest question right now is whether or not I could end up not getting a finsel since I am planning to quit my job next week.

I am a naturalized citizen, and one of my parents is a foreign national, so perhaps getting cleared for security may delay my finsel (which I wouldn't mind too much), and I don't have any criminal record or other black marks that would disqualify me (which I don't want). I have been wanting to quit my job for a long time now due to having a tense and stressful relationship with my direct supervisor, and I don't know if I can wait another month or 2 for my finsel letter to come through before quitting. It would really be terrible if I found out after quitting my job that there was an issue somewhere and I won't end up going to OSC.

Could someone chime in regarding this likelihood and maybe help calm me?

Did you talk to your recruiter about this? What did they say? Also why are you leaving your job when you don't have a FINSEL or OCS class on hand?

lelouche

Did you talk to your recruiter about this? What did they say? Also why are you leaving your job when you don't have a FINSEL or OCS class on hand?
I haven't asked my recruiter yet about this. My work situation is such that my boss is constantly getting onto me and other group members for asinine crap, making things awkward and stressful a lot of the times.

My recruiter gave me a rough OSC class date estimate for May/June. Since I don't have much free time outside of work, I was planning to study up appendix B and get in shape during this time I would have if I quit soon.

JollyGood

Flashing Dome
pilot
Don't quit your job unless you already have another one lined up. You have a lottery ticket in your pocket…but the drawing isn't for a while yet.

Have to agree here. I had some issues that needed to be ironed out with my packet such as rescinding the foreign part of my dual citizenship. I kept my old job going and even signed a new contract for 2012-2013 with a pay bump because I always knew that the Navy slot could be taken away in a heartbeat. You are part of a select few to get that Pro Rec, but there are still hoops to jump through. Unless you have gainful employment locked in, I would stay at your current job. No matter how much it sucks and is stressful, if everything works out, it will be worth it.

lelouche

Have to agree here. I had some issues that needed to be ironed out with my packet such as rescinding the foreign part of my dual citizenship. I kept my old job going and even signed a new contract for 2012-2013 with a pay bump because I always knew that the Navy slot could be taken away in a heartbeat. You are part of a select few to get that Pro Rec, but there are still hoops to jump through. Unless you have gainful employment locked in, I would stay at your current job. No matter how much it sucks and is stressful, if everything works out, it will be worth it.
What do you mean it could be taken away in a heartbeat? Are there certain factors that are automatically disqualifying or something?

Dangy

Pew pew pew
pilot
During my application process, I found out that I was eligible for citizenship from my parents country of birth and that I had to write a letter giving up that "citizenship". This was before my application was submitted. It may or may not trigger something with your background check.

Also. Don't quit until you get your fin sel. Unless you hate the job entirely and can find another one.

lelouche

Ok, thanks for everyone's input. I've sent my recruiter a text and will await for his reply some time this upcoming week.

Renegade One

None
My work situation is such that my boss is constantly getting onto me and other group members for asinine crap, making things awkward and stressful a lot of the times.
Sounds like a great "training opportunity"…you'll occasionally experience this environment again on active duty. Learning how to keep your senses of perspective and humor, and how to just "git 'er done" will stand you in good stead.

As some bright spark has said before on different threads, it's not all poolside cocktail parties in choker whites…although there is some of that. :cool:

JohnH

I haven't asked my recruiter yet about this. My work situation is such that my boss is constantly getting onto me and other group members for asinine crap, making things awkward and stressful a lot of the times.

My recruiter gave me a rough OSC class date estimate for May/June. Since I don't have much free time outside of work, I was planning to study up appendix B and get in shape during this time I would have if I quit soon.

Can I be blunt? I am I the process waiting for the board to meet now. I may not even receive a yes. One thing I do know is that the Military is FULL of bosses getting on to you and you'll be working with group members who are NOTHING but asinine crap. You will be awkward and stressed in OCS and the Navy. If you can't float it on the civilian side you may want to reconsider service.
I am a soldier on primary staff at a Battalion intel shop right now. I can promise I know about being gotten onto for asinine crap and being forced to do things that have no reason or meaning.
I don't know how bad your current work situation is, but I can promise you there will be days you want to drink a case or two after work in the military. There will be days you hate your life and your chain of command. It is just the way it is. Find the silver lining where you are and learn to shift your perspective to the positive before you go. It will save you a LOT of heartache.

Dougo

Can I be blunt? I am I the process waiting for the board to meet now. I may not even receive a yes. One thing I do know is that the Military is FULL of bosses getting on to you and you'll be working with group members who are NOTHING but asinine crap. You will be awkward and stressed in OCS and the Navy. If you can't float it on the civilian side you may want to reconsider service.
I am a soldier on primary staff at a Battalion intel shop right now. I can promise I know about being gotten onto for asinine crap and being forced to do things that have no reason or meaning.
I don't know how bad your current work situation is, but I can promise you there will be days you want to drink a case or two after work in the military. There will be days you hate your life and your chain of command. It is just the way it is. Find the silver lining where you are and learn to shift your perspective to the positive before you go. It will save you a LOT of heartache.
Ahhh Perfectly said. Its All a matter of perspective, some days are good some days are bad! Work isnt always fun... And tgats why its called work and not "happy fun time"!