• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Poolee Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Howser03

I am enlisted in DEP right now and I am set to ship out on March 17. I already have been through MEPS and was sworn in. At MEPS I also signed my 4 year enlistment form and they said I am officially in the Delayed Entry Program. I went back to the recruiters office and I picked my job choices (But never an official number like 6xxx which I thought was weird) My first choice was Crew Chief for a Helo which I would love to do. Second is Tanker and third is artillery. Wouldn't mind being either of them because they both seem fun. Today I signed a paper regarding the GI BILL. And my recruiter then informed me that he can't get ANY of my jobs for me. He says they don't even have an infantry position open. He claims that once I get down to Parris Island I will be able to speak to a job counselor within the first week and pick out a MOS. He says he got me the $50,000 for college because he could not get me a job.
I got a 91 on my ASVAB and he claims that because of that they will give me the Crew Chief slot but I don't know if he's trying to butter me up just to get me down there. He says that if I just keep persisting with the AG MOS that I will get it. I DO NOT want to leave for boot camp without a guarenteed enlistment. Is it too late to do anything? I already signed for enlistment, but that was before we picked MOS's, I have my ship date set. Don't get me wrong I want to be a Marine first and foremost, but doing 4 years as a cook will just waste my time and I would not get anything out if it to use in a career world. Thank you for your time.

Rayman

In going enlisted, can you apply for OCS even if yoou are barely on your 6th ro 9th month? Thanks.

Howser03

Well.... I got guarenteed contract... Aviation Mechanic
cry_125.gif
There was nothing I could do about it, I signed a paper yesterday about Open Contract... He told me it was the second paper for the GI BILL. I trusted him and didn't read it... So it's my own fault I got burned. I would love to be a mechanic but I doubt they ever fly, and that would make my life in the Corps go by much faster and happier. He had a tanker slot but I want to deal with aviation as a career after so I took this one. Hope it isn't always boring! Now that's over with I have to focus my energy on Boot Camp and hopefully I'll get done with that before I know it. Thanks for your help.
glasses_125.gif

Banjo33

AV-8 Type
pilot
Don't sweat it! You'll have a ball no matter what you do! If I'm not mistaken, you'll come down here to Pensacola too for your MOS school...not a whole lot of riding (couple of local spots) but you can't beat the beach!

Boot camp isn't a problem either, just do everything you're told, move as fast as humanly possible, and try and blend in (keep your mouth shut, stay in the middle of the pack, and motivate your peers as best as you can --- it'll only make you stronger.).

Good luck and Semper Fi brother!

airwinger

pilot
Boomer congrats(did I mention that at subway today) on what you got!!! hopefully I'll be seeing you soon
airwinger

Goliath112

All you guys that are enlisting should know that the "picking a MOS at boot camp thing" isn't as good as it seems as they will only have jobs they want filled. which can easily be a job that you don't want. Also, listen to this.. you signed a contract, but so what...that crap don't mean nada (especially when they pressure you into doing it while being dishonest or mis-leading when doing it). You don't have to go.(exercise this option only if you don't want a military carreer anymore) They are not going to put you in jail, send you to Leavenworth or kill you for not shipping. This is of course is what they will tell you. But they can't do **** to you for not going.
I would be sure and tell them to **** off and kiss your ass repeatedly if you choose not to go.Enlisted Recruiters are under a lot of pressure to do thier job. (which is to meet the military's heavy enlisted recruiting demands) They are not evil liars by nature, but that is exactly what a lot of them do. They will lie to your freaking face. Anybody who has done recruiting duty or HARP duty will tell you that.
Btw, I am only saying this because it really sucks to be mislead by a recruiter. The argument is often made, that it is the recruits fault and you should have been more vigilant. However, I submit that high school kids can be easily awed by these guys and often are unsure of legal documents and procedures. And about joining the MArines to be a Marine first. Well any ENLISTED person will tell you that if they could do it all again they would pick specific jobs only. Its very true that certain job expericnce is worth gold when you get out, such as avionics, Intel, any Secret Clearance jobs. While many others get out and don't get jobs based upon thier MOS. BTW, the Aviation Mechanic guy, try to change in boot camp to an avionics (aircraft electronics).

Banjo33

AV-8 Type
pilot
Sorry, I can't answer your question. I was a reservist and know things are quite a bit different on the active side. You would have to talk to an OSO unless someone else on here has an answer for you. On the reserve side of the house, you can apply any time you want...just as long as you are in the process of obtaining your Bachelor's degree...or already have one.

Status
Not open for further replies.