• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

polygraph test

Zissou

Banned
I misused the word. I used "failed" in the generic sense.

In their defense these guys consider themselves the gate keepers to America's secret recipes. And they are.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I dimly recall there being different types of it (not willing to go any further on those details), and one guy in the command that got it failed one of the sections, or types. Maybe not failed, but got questionable results, if that's possible.

My advice: if you're ever in a position to get one, walk into it with the expectation of getting "violated," like Zissou points out. That way it won't come as much of a shock when it happens.

There are generally two types of polygraphs that they give you, there is the 'full-scope' or 'lifestyle' poly and there is the 'CI-scope' poly. Federal law enforcement might do some different ones but those are the two types they generally give military types, and only if you get assigned to particular places to work.

The one that gets really intrusive is the 'lifestyle' one, but unless you get assigned to particular agencies or commands you are not going to be required to get one. It is not something that a first tour aviator will have to worry about, mileage will vary when it comes to intel and spec ops. Failing one is not really talked about, but out of many people I know that have had to take one I am only aware of one that has had issues, and that was a lot bigger than his poly.

A polygraph serves several purposes, several of them not so obvious. Just the fact that people get hooked up to a 'lie detector' often brings out things that would not come out in a regular question and answer session. And they are also looking to see how much of a dirtbag you really are, especially in someone like Zissou's case. ;) Best thing to keep in mind if you ever have to do one, just tell the truth and go from there.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
They did something on polygraph tests on the Mythbusters, they tried the tack trick, didn't work. Though if you're lying to get in the Navy, I wouldn't tell you not to put a tack in your toe.

Actually what triggered it in my brain was an episode of The Commish from the early 90s. Weird what you remember from being 6 or 7...

however, why would you guys discourage someone shoving a tack into their toe?! I was hoping for somebody to come onto AW in a couple months with very few posts under a new screenname bitching about how someone gave them advice to jam a tack into their toe to beat a poly and now all they have to show for it is a bleeding toe and no TS-SCI clearance. Way to be, buzzkills, way to be.

flysupertomcat

Jim told me I can buy Gaydar online
Take a friggin chill pill. Polygraphs are used because they are a useful tool sometimes. Believe it or not, while they are nowhere near foolproof they actually work sometimes.

So until men in black suits show up at your doorway and take you away in a straightjacket for your reeducation, STFU.

Well, what's the point of using a tool that only works "sometimes"? To ruin the reputation/ potential careers of people that have done a pretty good job of keeping their noses clean throughout their lives? Yeah, that's a wonderful tool alright.

jus2mch

MOTIVATOR
Contributor
"Jerry, just remember, it's not a lie if you believe it."

Attachments

• 250px-Sein_ep522.jpg
    250px-Sein_ep522.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 31

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Well, what's the point of using a tool that only works "sometimes"? To ruin the reputation/ potential careers of people that have done a pretty good job of keeping their noses clean throughout their lives? Yeah, that's a wonderful tool alright.

A polygraph is a tool in the world of counter-intelligence, but it is only one of several. If you think that a polygraph alone is going to ruin a career, you are most likely wrong. If there is something suspicious that comes up in a polygraph then it will probably be followed up on, as it should be. I am not a CI type and I am not a polygraph examiner so I cannot say for certain, but the impression I get is that a 'bad' poly alone will rarely result in a 'ruined' career. From knowing some of the people that have passed a lifestyle poly, I know that there are many people who have done some 'interesting' things that have passed them. If someone does have a 'bad' poly and they find something as a result, then all the better. Again, the only person I know who had a 'bad' poly and was adversely affected had much bigger issues than the poly.

What I meant that it works 'sometimes' was that it does not catch everyone. One of the more infamous examples of that is Aldrich Ames, who passed several polygraph exams while he was spying for the USSR and Russia. But they do work, here is an excellent and public example of one that 'worked':

http://www.abc26.com/pages/landing_national/?blockID=74489&feedID=16

I know of several other cases where they did work as advertised, trust me on that.

I think your anger is misplaced and shows a general ignorance of how a polygraph fits into the whole picture. You are also basing it on your impression of what you thought the examiner thought of you. Ever think that it was all part of an act, or that you are just having a case of bad nerves?

And frankly, bitching about them is pretty much tilting at windmills anyways. The government is going to use them whether you like it or not, and that is after getting sued several times (they always win). So just deal with it, and welcome to the government.....that is, if you make it. Be sure to pack the vaseline.......

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
so I am fairly uninformed in this...but what I have heard is that it is not so much the info they are looking for...it is more your willingness to be honest with them...but I may be totally wrong:D

MPH

Actually what triggered it in my brain was an episode of The Commish from the early 90s. Weird what you remember from being 6 or 7...

Haha, thats what I always think of when I hear that rumor... Amazing indeed. I was probably about 5.

For those who are wondering, the plot is like this:
The commissioner knows that a suspect is lying, but he manages to pass two polygraphs. They're getting ready to cut him loose when the Commish stomps on his toe, proving he had cheated the polygraph.

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
I did one of these when I applied for a cop job prior to the Navy. The guy interviewing me knew me well, he'd been a mentor of sorts to me for years - but it still sucked, it was still a terrible experience. Likely, if they ask me to do it in the Navy for a specific job, I'll turn them down unless it's a job I really, really want. I just hate the whole experience.

I figure though, if I haven't been asked to do one yet, I'm not going to get asked to do one in the future.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
is the polygraph test used in the navy?

someone i know just got his application for army ocs denied because he failed the polygraph test

i've already searched the other threads related to polygraph testing and background checks but the only substantial thing i've found is that some stations conduct polygraph testing.

ps this thread isn't indicative of any illegal drug use on my part. just wondering

Who said anything about illegal drug use? Worried about something are we???