• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

polygraph test

plee31

is the polygraph test used in the navy?

someone i know just got his application for army ocs denied because he failed the polygraph test

i've already searched the other threads related to polygraph testing and background checks but the only substantial thing i've found is that some stations conduct polygraph testing.

ps this thread isn't indicative of any illegal drug use on my part. just wondering

xmid

pilot
Contributor
If the idea of being polygraphed scares you then you should probably find a different line of work. Officers are expected to have integrity, so a lie detector should be a non-issue. You are far better off being up front about anything and everything. That being said, I'm an SNA and I've never been polygraphed.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Negative on the polygraph. I haven't ever heard about it from even fleet LTs, so if it happens, I'm guessing it's far down the line and a non-issue for a JO.

That being said, if you "need" to know info about polygraph tests, you probably have things to hide, which speaks volumes about your character integrity. Hopefully this question IS strictly curiosity.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
someone i know just got his application for army ocs denied because he failed the polygraph test

Our Army brethren here can weigh in but I have never heard of a poly for Army OCS.

As for doing it in the Navy, only a small number of billets require it and you will find out when you find out.

flysupertomcat

Jim told me I can buy Gaydar online
Polygraph tests are pure CRAP. I recently took one for another government job, and I have not gotten the results back yet, but at the end of the exam I think the examiner was convinced I was lying to him and that I have committed serious crimes that we had not discussed. So basically I am expecting to fail this exam, which is complete BS. Some have told me that it could have been a scare tactic, just trying to get something out of me, which could be true. I will tell you I have all the integrity in the WORLD, but that was possibly the most uncomfortable experience of my LIFE. I will push for a re-test if I fail, but I DREAD the thought of having to re-take it.

[/end experience rant]

edit: Maybe I should wait til I get my results back to wave the BS flag on polygraphs, but if the results are what I am expecting, they are BS.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
no little guy in a labcoat is going to look at you and ask you whether or not you rubbed one out that morning as a condition for getting into the navy.

you can beat a polygraph by jamming a tac into your toe, though. seriously. give it a whirl if you're worried.

BullGator

no little guy in a labcoat is going to look at you and ask you whether or not you rubbed one out that morning as a condition for getting into the navy.

you can beat a polygraph by jamming a tac into your toe, though. seriously. give it a whirl if you're worried.
I like to rubb one out when I need to beat it. :D I couldn't resist. Carry on.

Lobster

Ocean's 13?

exo

They did something on polygraph tests on the Mythbusters, they tried the tack trick, didn't work. Though if you're lying to get in the Navy, I wouldn't tell you not to put a tack in your toe.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Polygraph tests are pure CRAP. I recently took one for another government job, and I have not gotten the results back yet, but at the end of the exam I think the examiner was convinced I was lying to him and that I have committed serious crimes that we had not discussed......

[/end experience rant]

edit: Maybe I should wait til I get my results back to wave the BS flag on polygraphs, but if the results are what I am expecting, they are BS.

Take a friggin chill pill. Polygraphs are used because they are a useful tool sometimes. Believe it or not, while they are nowhere near foolproof they actually work sometimes.

So until men in black suits show up at your doorway and take you away in a straightjacket for your reeducation, STFU.

Clux4

Banned
Maybe if you a one of the crypto guys that gets sent to the DIA,NSA or GeoA. But I do not think I have even heard those guys mention anything about a poly.
I think the FEDS use polygraph to thin down their crowd. For real, anything could make you heart rate jump.
My friend's sister supposedly failed the polygraph for one government agency but she still got hired. The polygrapher also gets to make their recommendation, so smile on the morning of and you might get a lucky one.

Brunes

pilot
A polygraph to get picked up for employment at all...That would suck- but you only need to worry if you've got something to hide.

If the possibility of getting one done is making you balk at signing the line- I'd look for another career path...Good luck with making your choice.

Zissou

Banned
In my area of work, all the good jobs require a TS with a poly.

I believe your experience will vary depending on your sponsoring agency.

My USAF Missilier buddy claims his semi annual poly is an easy day.

I failed my poly, passed on the second go. Most of my coworkers failed at least once. These are long ones, four hours and change each sitting. The first one was openly hostile and accusatory.

I know how flytomcat feels. He didnt lie, told a stranger embarrassing things about himself, and was sent home feeling violated. It's a very unpleasant expierience.

The funny thing? I have a personal history and catalog of character flaws that would make Rick James blush. I disclosed everything. Everything. Disclosure and clean credit will get you that TS. Being an enlisted guy I have to keep an eye on the credit part. You could give me a million dollars and I'll still manage to forget a bill here and there.

The poly is a recurring topic of debate where I work. Everyone has an interim once there sf-86 has been investigated and there's a waiting list to get a poly. So you might have been on the job 5 months, relocated your family, etc And here comes this "must pass" test that alot of people fail at least once.

Flugelman

Contributor
In my area of work, all the good jobs require a TS with a poly.

I believe your experience will vary depending on your sponsoring agency.

My USAF Missilier buddy claims his semi annual poly is an easy day.

I failed my poly, passed on the second go. Most of my coworkers failed at least once. These are long ones, four hours and change each sitting. The first one was openly hostile and accusatory.

I know how flytomcat feels. He didnt lie, told a stranger embarrassing things about himself, and was sent home feeling violated. It's a very unpleasant expierience.

The funny thing? I have a personal history and catalog of character flaws that would make Rick James blush. I disclosed everything. Everything. Disclosure and clean credit will get you that TS. Being an enlisted guy I have to keep an eye on the credit part. You could give me a million dollars and I'll still manage to forget a bill here and there.

The poly is a recurring topic of debate where I work. Everyone has an interim once there sf-86 has been investigated and there's a waiting list to get a poly. So you might have been on the job 5 months, relocated your family, etc And here comes this "must pass" test that alot of people fail at least once.
+1

I had to go through this for my TS-SCI at my last job.
I too had to return for a second go around with the mental proctologist. :eek: They didn't say that I had "failed" the first one, but that they needed more "info" :confused:

Although the guy wasn't agressive or accusatory, he wasn't very friendly either. He didn't make my party A-list.

I've led a pretty benign and low key life and had nothing to hide so I'm still scratching my head over this.

P3 F0

None
I've been in a billet as a senior LT where the poly was a possibility. I never got tapped for it, nor did I really understand (or care) why I would tapped for it or how that whole process worked. I dimly recall there being different types of it (not willing to go any further on those details), and one guy in the command that got it failed one of the sections, or types. Maybe not failed, but got questionable results, if that's possible.

I spoke with the guy (also NFO, and a solid one at that) and he told me a little about it. (I'm not sure if they pulled his top clearance or not, but he wasn't able to work in the office I was working in. He wound up getting out at the end of his commitment--not sure if the whole poly mess was a factor in that decision.) My takeaway was that it's not something I want to go through--the questions can get pretty personal. I have nothing to hide, either, but at the same time, I've seen how out of touch with reality some security nazis get, and I wouldn't want one of them strapping me in to one of those machines.

My advice: if you're ever in a position to get one, walk into it with the expectation of getting "violated," like Zissou points out. That way it won't come as much of a shock when it happens.