• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Police Run-ins NROTC

velociboilerraptor

semi-adept desk flyer
Good Afternoon everyone,

First off, thank you for accepting me to the forum!

A quick background on me: I am hell bent on doing NROTC scholarship or not, to become a Naval Aviator ( I would like to fly the EA-18G Growler)
I am planning on majoring in some form of engineering, preferably aeronautical.
I am currently a rising senior, and I am going to submit the NROTC application before the end of September.

Statstics:

3.5 GPA (weighted GPA through end of Junior Year)
32 ACT
Over 300 hours of volunteering a year
Multiple leadership opportunities.
Founded my own organization
I am the chair of my city's Youth Commission
Two sport athlete (baseball, basketball), but have not received any major awards. Im just the normal Joe who shows up. (I am the starting second baseman for the varsity team tho)

I have spent a considerable amount of time on the forum reading through topics concerning how to become an aviator, general NROTC stuff, so I'm not gonna bother you guys with that, nor am I going to ask what my chances are based on my statistics (I have read multiple other posts with students who have similar GPAs etc...)

But the question I am about to ask is galactically stupid.

I was reading that if I have any sort of police interaction, my chances of getting in to the program would be done for.

Would this hold true if I received a traffic ticket for a minor road infraction?

I do not have my drivers permit or license yet, and will receive it in April 2018.
I asked the question since new drivers get pulled over a lot, and generally suck at driving.

I really appreciate your time for reading through my post, and taking the time out of your day to answer my question.

Thank you :)

Pags

N/A
pilot
I can't imagine that any commissioning source has gotten so competitive that something like a parking or lower order speeding ticket (sub reckless) would tube your chances.

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
The following advice is provided (without promises) to people when filling out SF-86 documents. It's probably a decent starting point:

Traffic citations/tickets/fines are reportable only if they exceed $300 and only when the fine is assessed, unless drugs or alcohol were involved. Court fees or other administrative costs associated with the traffic citation/ticket/fine should not be added to the final assessed amount.

egri

The following advice is provided (without promises) to people when filling out SF-86 documents. It's probably a decent starting point:

Traffic citations/tickets/fines are reportable only if they exceed $300 and only when the fine is assessed, unless drugs or alcohol were involved. Court fees or other administrative costs associated with the traffic citation/ticket/fine should not be added to the final assessed amount.

When I had my OPM interview, the investigator told me all traffic incidents had to be reported, regardless of the amount. I ended up needing to answer questions for an $85 speeding ticket I received a few years back.

Duc'-guy25

pilot
You'll probably have to put it down somewhere, but I don't think this will be a show stopper for you dude. Its a minor traffic infraction, I wouldn't stress about it. If it isn't something you've been detained or arrested for its not too big of a deal. Fess up but I think you'll be fine. I definitely have been pulled over once or twice...

egri

You'll probably have to put it down somewhere, but I don't think this will be a show stopper for you dude. Its a minor traffic infraction, I wouldn't stress about it. If it isn't something you've been detained or arrested for its not too big of a deal. Fess up but I think you'll be fine. I definitely have been pulled over once or twice...

Yeah it was no biggie. I originally had disclosed it, then the investigator said he didn't think I had to, but a few days later he called to let me know to report everything.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
Don't avoid driving in fear of maybe, accidentally one day something incredibly minor and fixable going wrong (like a traffic ticket). You are asking the Navy to give you the responsibility to fly a multi-million dollar warplane in challenging conditions (potentially against adversaries in a contested airspace) where any day, any number of things can go wrong but you still have to fly because the mission requires it. Let that sink in.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Traffic citations are not a big deal. As someone mentioned before, if it's under 300 dollars you don't even have to list it.

Now traffic incidents invoking drugs and alcohol... different case

velociboilerraptor

semi-adept desk flyer
Don't avoid driving in fear of maybe, accidentally one day something incredibly minor and fixable going wrong (like a traffic ticket). You are asking the Navy to give you the responsibility to fly a multi-million dollar warplane in challenging conditions (potentially against adversaries in a contested airspace) where any day, any number of things can go wrong but you still have to fly because the mission requires it. Let that sink in.
Its not that I'm trying to avoid driving (I'm trying to get a motorcycle lol), its just that between school and extra curriculars and parents, getting that license has been tough

Hopeful Hoya

pilot
Contributor
As someone who was picked up for OCS with 3 speeding tickets and countless parking tickets, I can attest to the fact that is is not a big deal and did not come up once during my application/security clearance.

RedFive

pilot
None
Contributor
Can confirm: I had many speeding tickets in college. Yet here I am. Avoid DUIs and Involuntary Manslaughter and I think you'll be good. Oh, and I hear date rape is bad too. And stealing. And probably obstruction of justice. Oh yeah, drugs. Drugs are bad. Don't do drugs. And FWIW, motorcylces are a shitty way to die, just FYI.