• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Point of no return?

eas7888

Looking forward to some P-8 action
pilot
Contributor
No, you guys most certainly are not. At least Marines have some common sense. Your combat uniform doesn't look like a Velcro garbage-flage clown suit and you don't steal headgear from your elite units (The Black Beret was once a sign of the Rangers, now it's the sign of "I'm not Airborne"). My God, I can't wait to cross into the blue.

<sarcasm> I quite enjoy my black beret. I'm going to miss it. </sarcasm>

Yankee Uniform Tango
Not exactly, I know I want to serve and I know I want to fly. I recently found out that I have a shot at USMC Air in January, and I'm choosing between the two. I don't want to make a decision until I know my chances/the outlook better though.

Just so you know, it's only NFO spots that are available for the January Marine OCS class. If that's what you want that's fine, but I definitely echo the 'bird in hand' sentiments.

aukonak

Just so you know, it's only NFO spots that are available for the January Marine OCS class. If that's what you want that's fine, but I definitely echo the 'bird in hand' sentiments.

My OSO let me know there was one Pilot spot available in the district and that if I could get my sh*t together and get my PFT out of the way, I'll be the only one competing for it. All my paperwork is still in the system/in order so it's just a matter of taking the PFT and contracting.

You're pro-rec'd with the navy. All you need to do is go through MEPS and get your FS letter and you're golden. Why toss that aside for something that "might" happen? You said you had a shot, not that you were guaranteed to get it. Just sounds like a few too many ifs (as in, there are ifs), to throw away a commission with the navy.

Yea, I see what you're saying. That's why it's such a dilemma. All things considered, I think I have an equal chance with both at the moment. I wouldn't be throwing away my chances with Navy until I was contracted/selected for USMC Air. The whole premise of my post here was to see just how long I can hold off before a decision is necessary, so I don't end up making a mistake by throwing somethnig away.

I know it may seem greedy, but if I have the option I think it's fair to consider it, especially since it's what I had intended to do originally anyway. I appreciate the input though.

SpaceApe29

I'm going to use my Grunt logic: You picked the stall, now grab a magazine and poo in it.

Take my advice from someone who has always done things the hard way - You have been given a truly magnificent (flying) horse, don't send it to the glue factory over a possibility.

Raider 47, out.

JMonte85

Pro-rec SNA
No you don't have to accept it.. From what I read before one guy on here didn't accept his NFO spot because he wanted to try again for SNA... I think someone said you have something like a month to accept or deny the position. Don't quote me.

BigJeffray

Sans Remorse
pilot
You still have the option to back out. I got my FS about a month ago, and I'll quote a section from my service agreement:

1. Having volunteered for training under the [Insert officer program here] Program of the United States Navy, I hereby acknowledge:
a. If entering the program from civilian life:
(1) That I shall be required to enlist in the Naval Reserve; and
(2) That, in the event I fail to complete the requirements for appointment to commissioned grade or request disenrollment from the Officer Candidate School Program prior to acceptance of a commission, I shall be discharged from Naval Service.

IMHO, if you absolutely above all else want to be a Marine, then go for it. If you're on the fence or not sure which branch is best for you, why take the chance when you have an incredible opportunity already lined up? Just my two cents.

markkyle66

No you don't have to accept it.. From what I read before one guy on here didn't accept his NFO spot because he wanted to try again for SNA... I think someone said you have something like a month to accept or deny the position. Don't quote me.

I was in the same class as that guy. Great person! We both ended up SNFO's when it was all said and done. I pursued pilot after being NPQ'd around week three for "mild intermittent extropia" via reexamination of my eyes. But you know... I was happy as hell to leave commissioned as a NFO. Several feet from my dream job isn't a bad place to end up. However, always push for what you came fore and nothing less. If it works out, it'll work out. If not, be prepared for what other plans God may have for you and go after them full speed.

jtmedli

pilot
I'm going to use my Grunt logic: You picked the stall, now grab a magazine and poo in it.

Take my advice from someone who has always done things the hard way - You have been given a truly magnificent (flying) horse, don't send it to the glue factory over a possibility.

Raider 47, out.

What he said. Giving up a hole in one to take a mulligan with the Marine Corps is, well, stupid.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yes!

What he said. Giving up a hole in one to take a mulligan with the Marine Corps is, well, stupid.

+1...The best, most beautifully worded advice I've ever seen on AW (unless you're a non-golfer!):watching3
BzB